Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starkey 911ST 2.7 litre

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post

as for the number 911.744 my rudimentary German translation (ie Google) suggests that this is the internal model number for the RS as the word "modellbezeichnung" translates as "Model name"

i could not find any reference to the number elsewhere but i did not go back to re read the RS book (every time i read it i find something new)
    Hugh,

That is correct, the designated model # for the '73 RS is 911 744. Look at page 60 in the RS book for that information.

BTW, good discussion in this thread. I had no idea there were ST cars with 2.7L engines.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

911 230 0013

raj

here is one 911 230 xxxx car not on your list and the documents that I think qualify it to be on the list.
    the description (from when it was sold a few years ago) is:

"Chassis Nr. 911 230 0013. This rare 911S/T was built July 1971 in Gulf orange, it was used by the factory research and race department and sold 2 year later in June 1973 to Belgium. See confirmation letter from the factory. It was sold to the Gaban race team and used as Rally car. In 1990 the car was found as a rolling chassis without engine and interior but with gearbox and in good rust-free condition. The current owner had the car fully rebuilt in England and changed to wide body.

The car today has 2.8L single plug, 915 lim. slip gearbox, correct Scheel seats, dual race brakes, FIA papers and all components are fully rebuilt and the car is race ready. It participated in various vintage racing events. With the car are 2 original Mini-Light 10" rims, 2 Cibie lights, steel front hood for Cibie use (now a fiberglass hood is installed) The engine is set up for twin plug with dual coil and a non original twin plug distributor."

PS
    thanks for posting the list
    it will create many sleepless nights trying to fill in gaps
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    hugh

I bet you fred left it off the list since it did not have 6622____ 2.5litre,was this car for sale at eleven parts-interesting car seems to have standard flare on the gaban period picture.Interesting car.

Raj
    Hi Raj

yes I agree I think it would have been left off the list because it did not have the "6622" It shows you that this whole area can be subjective and subject to revisionsist history or interpretation.

another such car not on the list was the Vestry Le mans car #44 from le mans in 1971. It was 911 230 0056 and has been the subject of some discussion on the board and owned by some members of the board.

Yes I think the car was for sale at elevenparts a few years ago and that is where i picked up some of the info on it

I think the FIA docs are "interesting" to say the least. The commentary that I posted says that the car was found with no engine. It had a replacement engine put in it. It is now "wide body" and looks like what people think an ST should look like. Porsche say it was a prototype ST

I put the Gaban period photo in deliberately instead of a current one to provoke the discussion you have now raised

Put all of that together and give it to the FIA and it "IS an ST" for current competition purposes...............
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

FIA documents

With a clear risc of jumping into some deep water, I would like to make a quick comment on the FIA document refered to above.

The document above is a HVIF, Historic Vehicle Identity Form, these have been invalid for some years now. They have been superseeded by the FIA HTP. Historic Technical Passport, which is the document needed for international historic motorsport.
    Today all HTPs are submitted through a eligibillity commité, looking for correct technical specification according to the regulations. So a HTP (/HVIF for that matter) will never be a guarantee of the pedigree of a individual vehicle.

I hope this comment can be of some assistance. It is not my intention to disturb the on-going discussion here, interesting as it is, just to give a short background to the FIA docs.

Thanks / Magnus
    - S reg #967
    - RHK #192

thanks for you input Magnus

it is good to have a clear explanation of these documents and that this particular type of document has been superseded

I am not sure how long ago it was that i saw this for sale - maybe 2 to 3 years ago. The FIA document shown was with the material used when the car was advertised.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Hi Hugh,

If memory serves me right, the old HVIF was valid until the end of 2006. But there was a 3-year cross-over period so the new HTP have been issued since 2004.

Just glad if I could be of some assistance. The knowledge accumulated on this board is quite amazing, and it has helped me a lot in the past.

BR / Magnus
    - S reg #967
    - RHK #192

I'll throw this out , to try to simulate some research. Not necessarily ST but....

Were are cars 360 0003 - 0010 (or any paperwork , or comments regarding them by the factory) . It seems highly unlikely that they would number two cars 0001 & 0002 . And then skip to 0011. Or were these numbers kept in reserve , and never used ?

No one has discussed this with anyone internal to the factory ? (or close to factory & involved with these cars : J. Stadler for instance).

The factory has to know the answer. And I do not see why they would not respond with one. So again, has anyone ever asked them ?
    Last edited by peekaboo; 03-04-2011 at 07:57 AM.

I know that in 1968 there were no reserved numbers at the beginning of the serial series. I believe the practice may have started in 1969, but for sure it was in place by 1970. Even the 914/6 started serial production at 0011. I understand that much more recently they began to reserve as much as 60 serial numbers.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

So for finite clarification (since no one will state anything regarding) . Of the reserved numbers 911 360 0001 - 0010.

Where any other numbers ever used beside 0001 & 0002 ? Seemingly , no one has ever asked the factory ? (again, no one wants to make a definitive statement regarding).

Or.... it's such common knoledge , that know one says anything about it ? (this is like pulling teeth).
    Last edited by peekaboo; 03-05-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Thx for your input varunan123 . If I get any definitive clarification ever from any factory (or close to ) sources. I will let you know.