Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My new Porsche 911 (991). A PDK

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1996 View Post
    I changed my own oil and filter last night. Took about 45 minutes. Plastic engine cover comes off without tools and oil filter housing is right at the top. No plastic panels to mess around with underneath for the oil drain plug.
    Were you able to discover an engine under that lid there somewhere?
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by tomlin View Post
    Mark, thanks for your input. Have not heard alot about the manual ones. The 991 has sort of grown (if that's the correct word here) on me since I started to see them, and hear them, IRL.
    I was actually in the market for a 993 and then I made the mistake of seeing the 991 at the local Porsche dealer. I then drove it and I was hooked. It is very modern and yet it still has some of the charm and feel of the older models.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    Were you able to discover an engine under that lid there somewhere?
    Ha!!! Not much of a view of the engine. You can see about 20% of it with the plastic covers removed. With no covers removed, you cannot see any of the
    engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1996 View Post
    Ha!!! Not much of a view of the engine. You can see about 20% of it with the plastic covers removed. With no covers removed, you cannot see any of the
    engine.
    I love working on the 981 and 991s because the belly pans are so easy to remove compared to the previous generations (except the 993 with it's 1/4 turn fasteners and small trans and engine pans).

Also, the speed at which the car's computers talk to my scan tool has greatly increased over previous generations ... think of it as Ethernet (991) vs. Dial-Up (964/993).

I'm just bummed that they're so far out of my price range...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post

I'm just bummed that they're so far out of my price range...
    .....for NOW....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

It's been a little more than three months of ownership now.

I couldn't be happier with it. It's been in the mountains of North Georgia three times. It is really quick up there. I believe the 991 is the greatest modern Porsche.

The 3.4L engine sips gas (26 Mpg) versus my 1973 PMO that may get 15 Mpg (OK, we'll call it ~12).

I can not think of one thing that I don't like. It does take some time for an old 911 Registry guy to get accustomed to A/C and a nice stereophonic radio. My left foot keeps looking for a clutch.

Nonetheless, the PDK's dual electrohydraulic clutches are very superior to the clutch of a 915 transmission. The 991 will slam gear after gear and ask for more. I wouldn't try that with a 915.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

It is now almost 12 months of ownership. I still love it.

The Sport Exhaust System at $2950 seems to be a little too expensive now. The Bose@ Stereo may not be worth the extra $2120.

The car is still a pleasure every time that I take it out of the garage. Those Porsche trucks have allowed a lot of new technology to move over to the 911 Carrera.

My dealer did the first service quickly with no charge. They told me to come back in June for another free oil change.

I actually like the Porsche PMS and ABS (Porsche Stability System and the Anti-Lock Brake System). I can turn it (almost) off when I want to do so. It's a great daily driver in Atlanta traffic.

I still say my 1973 911 is a better ride on the weekends for its special feel and look.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

You need to try PDK-S on the GT3.
    I owned both 991 GT3 & 997 GT3RS 3.8 (manual, Mezger)
    After 3 months I sold the RS
    991 GT3 w/ PDK-S is that good
    Don't miss the manual (and this from the guy with the Georgia "Mezger" tag)

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billh View Post
    You need to try PDK-S on the GT3.
    Bill,
    I understand. I am also supporting a vintage race car and an early 1973 911 car.

I am just now getting accustomed to an automatic 911 Carrera. Do you have any pictures of the GT3? I could be convinced to buy one.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo