Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ultimate SWB Headlight thread - restoration and conversion

Well, I just emailed Eric and asked to be put on the list for 4 of them - and asked if he would be making/selling the little tabs that ride on the bolts. A few of mine are bent, seemingly from someone trying to make up for the lack of rubber. I'm suspicious that as soon as I try to straighten them out to put in replacement rubber, they will crack and break.

Gentlemen,

The part I'm looking for is the threaded arm that runs up and down the 100mm screw. it's the immediately to the left of the focal point of the Jays photo, which is the gray grommet. It attaches to the screw and has an arm that goes through the gray grommet, and is actually the part that allows for the adjustment of the light beam. I'm not sure how else to better describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
    Gentlemen,

The part I'm looking for is the threaded arm that runs up and down the 100mm screw. it's the immediately to the left of the focal point of the Jays photo, which is the gray grommet. It attaches to the screw and has an arm that goes through the gray grommet, and is actually the part that allows for the adjustment of the light beam. I'm not sure how else to better describe it.
    Here are a few pics. The first shows an original adjustment tab, black in color, next to a homemade one, silver. The second pic is In situ, and the third pic is the Z shaped extension that is shown in Eric L's pics but it is a part he does not sell. The purpose of the Z shaped part is to extend a short 65mm screw to equal the needed longer 100mm screw.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Mark,

Thanks for the explanation and photos. So my takeaway from the above photos is that it's ok to hand make those pesky adjustment tabs. I'm probably going to be putting my H1's up for sale, as I've had them sitting for a good long time and really don't plan on reinstalling them on my car. Thanks again.

and Eric Linden will have chromed headlight rings for 65-67 and H-4 lights available now.Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I wanted to add some light, haha, to this thread regarding the replacement H4 bulb units. When I started my rebuild, the headlights had Bosch H4 units, which were a little old. I decided to purchase some new units, and Hella's were more readily available and less money. Plus the glass lens are Hella's so it made sense. So I ordered the Hella's. Well, after spending a lot of time trying to get them to fit, they will not work, at least not well enough for my satisfaction. The differences are minor, but it affects the fit enough to be a problem. The Hella bulb unit itself is not as deep as the Bosch so it wants to move around in the housing. Couple that with the three mounting/allignment tabs on the sides are about 1.5mm taller than the Bosch, keeping the bulb holding ring from locking in with the funky spring clips. Soooo I will be looking for some Bosch H4's. If someone has a way to make the Hella bulbs work I'm all ears.
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

Thanks for the info. As I tell my intellectual property clients, sometimes knowledge of failures is more valuable than successes! (of course that advice is so that they will protect their research failures as strongly as they protect their other proprietary information - and here I'm thanking you for sharing it).

[QUOTE=Jay Laifman;699712]Thanks for the info. As I tell my intellectual property clients, sometimes knowledge of failures is more valuable than successes! (of course that advice is so that they will protect their research failures as strongly as they protect their other proprietary information - and here I'm thanking you for sharing it).[/QUOT

Your welcome. If I can save someone the two hours it took me to get here I am glad to help others avoid wasting more time.
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648