Thread: And yet another project begins - 1969 Ford Bronco V8

And yet another project begins - 1969 Ford Bronco V8

Here's the latest in my string of retirement projects. I will be dragging it home later this week. 1969 Bronco V8 (302). Mostly solid with uncut rear fenders. Dual exhaust, floor shift conversion and possibly about 2" lift, otherwise stock.

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

You are truly a glutton for punishment! Looking forward to watching this next project progress!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

You surprised me with this one! I know the market is hot for Bronco's, but I don't see the fascination. I will still be following your excellent restoration skills.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

It's home now, and sitting in the garage with a flat tire. I unloaded it in the street and it drove into the garage under its own power. That's very rare for my projects, I think this is only the second one to do that. Starting tomorrow I'll sort parts and see just what it is that I've bought.

I haven't really started exploring to see what I bought. Just a few odds and ends so far. First inspection shows it to be mostly stock, other than headers, dual exhaust and what looks to be probably around 2" suspension lift. No body lift. The tires are 31x10.50R15 on 15x8's with approximately 4" backside. They poke a fair bit in back, and I suspect the funky coil-over spring assist shocks on the rear are all that keeps them from rubbing on the uncut fenders. I like the stance, but the suspension will need a refresh at some point. I'll probably want to drop to a bit narrower wheel to tuck things in a bit.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more later.

- Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Been a fair amount going on with the Bronc. After flitting around to this bit, and then to that part, I've settled on a couple first goals.

First is to make it mobile. Yes, it would start and run and drive on and off the trailer to get it home, but I wasn't happy with the process. Since it had no gas tanks the PO fed it fuel via a soda bottle wedged in the engine compartment. And because the wiring is a mess and the solenoid was seized, you had to twist a couple of wires together for ignition, and then short across the 2 large terminals on the solenoid, with many accompanying sparks. Sparks and an open bottle of gas in the same engine compartment did not give me warm fuzzies. I now have a temporary toggle inside for ignition, with a push button connected to a new solenoid to crank it over.

It still has no fuel tanks, but a new rear tank kit is on its way now, should be here tomorrow. That will take care of all the safety issues in starting the engine so that I can move it.

Also looking for an appropriate set of wheels and tires for it, since the rear tires are 17 years old, and fronts are over 20. And the LF doesn't hold air very long, either. I've got a line on something local I think would be good, but the seller seems to have ghosted me so far.

Second goal is to get the body solid and ready for final body and paint work. I want to get that out of the way early this time.

Parts - The first parts to arrive were the least needed, as I snagged a set of close-out Toyota H4 headlights at a killer price. Opened the box, checked them out, and packed them back up, as I won't be ready for those for a long while yet. Tomorrow should bring the new fuel tank, plus a first batch of replacement sheet metal—floors and windshield cowl mount. Also expecting a new HEI distributor and transfer case shift lever and floor indicator in the next day or two. These were another crime of opportunity, not really needed just yet.

I've started removing parts so I can get to the rusty areas. Going to have to get a fresh tank of gas for the MIG soon...

- Arne

^^^^ truly boxy!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Had one of those when I was a utility construction engineer, tough as nails.