Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Individual homologation FOR EACH M471

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    “Factory Prototype” I wonder who wrote that ?
    If I remember correctly, there are other vehicles with similar notes/cross-outs.

Barth?

+

TUV Documented m-471 GT; eventually certified for Germany road use 25-Mai-1972 "per letter from Mfgr" as shown in Kraftfahrzeugbrief

Name:  33260.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  58.5 KB

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/dto_...hicle_id=10636
    Last edited by _gonbau; 06-20-2024 at 01:31 PM.

A clarification to my post 10. It is quite possible that the purpose and contents of M471 (914/6) was changed in 1972 model year to being a wide-body option only while in 1970 & 1971 it was a full competition option. Porsche was always changing option contents in these years; option M470 changed annually and while it mostly applied to the 911T it did apply to the 911E and 911S at times.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I am speaking in reference to German legislation. In the case of direct export, I can understand that it may be more complicated to see, but for vehicles that were intended for the German market, I understand they would be well controlled.

Therefore, it would be Porsche itself that takes care of "homologating" this special vehicle BEFORE the sale to the new owner, correct? If it were the other way around, Porsche would get into trouble because of it. The documentation indicates that the registration documents will be sent AFTER the owner has made the individual acceptance of the vehicle.

Regarding the modifications made to the later S/Ts in the factory S/T Z-program 471-491, is it known if these are later modifications to be able to participate in rallies? Or, on the contrary, as I think, were these S/T Z-program vehicles ambivalent in both performances, tracks, and rally, from the beginning of their manufacture?

In the 1972 era, were there many places with engineers to homologate a preparation, or were they few? I suppose someone from Germany might know something about this information.

Regarding our vehicle, it would be the AVD and ADAC, in both competitions our car participated, so I understand there had to be some document of the modification apart from the fact that, to drive in Germany with its KFZ-Brief papers in order, I understand it was homologated with an engineer. Therefore, I understand that apart from the individual registration book you mention, there would be the individual homologation carried out either by Porsche or by Strasser (according to what they tell me from Pforzheim, who made the headlight modification).

Likewise, I believe these are different documents or terms. The official registration book would be something very different from KFZ-Brief papers with individual homologation as shown in this case:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...0&d=1718919070
    but as I understand it, the individual homologation was noted in the brief. Apart from the documents you mention for sporting events.

I think it is way too easy to assume this level of specificity during the era. The amount of what we would call "cheating" during the era was legendary. Particularly by works teams. Ford and British Leland even had specific recommendations on how to modify cars so as not to draw attention of scrutineers (doubling floorboards etc). Multiple cars carried the same serial numbers with appropriate approvals on them from previous events. It is widely believed that lancia never made the qualified numbers of cars, or kits of homologated parts. Neither did Talbot or Porsche for 911st, 914-6gt etc. Catalogues and homologation papers were full of parts that were not available for purchase at any price. The 917s in the pictures were assembled in such a rush for that picture with every staff member including clerical staff for the pictures. They were not running cars. The story on how Lancia got their 037 approved during the group b era could only be described as hysterical -- half the cars being stored in different lots with fia officials viewing each lot in different time slot -- with lots of Italian wine and food plied to the scrutineers in between (the previously viewed cars were moved to the new lot in between). The reality was that there was significant interest in getting corporations to participate and get their cars into events with lots of $ on the line.

So, with individual approval from the owner, an M491 could drive on the road. I understand that the owner would be responsible in case of an accident and would have to pay, etc... hence the individual acceptance, which I THINK is a term that is rarely mentioned but very important regarding S/T and regarding M491 vehicles and prototypes...
    In the factory Z-program M471+491. I THINK this type of individual approval and acceptance was used to be able to drive on the road and perform in rally sports (I understand, on behalf of Porsche? Or on behalf of the driver?). So, from what I understand, any M491 vehicle, any M471 vehicle, any prototype, could drive on normal roads (and likewise, rally) with the existence of that individual acceptance and approval, any type of "prototype" or vehicle made by Porsche. That's my understanding, so in some cases, I could understand that a vehicle with individual approval might face obstacles in participating in rally (according to certain regulations)... An obvious question regarding this is very simple... would a vehicle approved individually, and sold to an owner for road use, automatically become suitable for rally without any issues? Or would there be obstacles due to those modifications?
    +
    With an individual homologation, individual acceptance, could it be possible to include in the vehicle registration document, brief, a model that Porsche had not homologated? Referring to the S/T in this case, with that individual homologation, is there a chance that S/T could be written in the brief?
    Last edited by _gonbau; 06-26-2024 at 02:33 AM.