Thread: FS: NOS Grass Hopper Tire air compressor for early 911

Smile FS: NOS Grass Hopper Tire air compressor for early 911

This is a desired tire air compressor for early 911 Porsches. Very rare in NOS condition never used. Runs off cigarette lighter. Perfect condition. Excellent early show car accessory made in Canada. Virtually impossible to find new. I do not believe Porsche made this item but it is known as a Grass hopper tire inflator and should be considered an aftermarket part for early 911 Porsches. Includes all the original paper work that comes with the compressor. I carry one in my early 911. Priced accordingly at $500+shipping. Guess why it is called a Grass Hopper inflator. I take Paypal at pgeorge911@aol.com for family and friends or add 3.5% for a guaranteed money back return. Thanks for looking. Questions: call 952 835-9969. Thanks for looking

Last edited by pkg911; 06-21-2024 at 08:08 AM.

It certainly seems to look in nice condition.

I’m familiar with the Webster 12v compressor with the white plastic case because those were supplied with (some) model year Carrera RS — starting with some markets early calendar 73. The white plastic cases Webster superseded the red bottle compressed air inflator in Jan 1973 for export cars initially . Then in early April 1973 compressor instead of compressed air bottle was used ie after the RS homologation build number achieved

Help me understand the chronology of when the Webster “grasshopper” ( a model without the well known white case) was actually supplied in 911 given the information in the companies own website:

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com...ountry_27.html

Although B.F. Goodrich dropped the air jack idea, the Webster air compressor went into production in 1972, with markets including Germany (for the space saver tire) and Montgomery-Ward on the retail side.
    IMG_7044.jpeg
    Not clear on my phone screen but the filing date 1971?

I’m curious how a “grasshopper” model by the Webster of London could have fitted into the timeline based the date given for invention/ production and the date of deal with BF Goodridge for the spacesaver ?

IMG_7045.jpeg

The photo above was previously posted on another thread (not mine) but clearly features of a model 73 — wheels and grille are from that year. The image and words which are the style Porsche used for such news are reasonably consistent
    timing-wise with Webster telling of story in its link.?
    Not clear there was a time window for a “grasshopper” version before the well known white cased one arrived in Porsche.

There no doubt Webster 12V electro compressors with the white case were used in 911 from around but I’m not convinced the “grasshopper” from the company was supplied in the so called longhood. Not seen evidence. Questioning the tomeeone would orbit. Always open to learn from experts if there is evidence showing the specific “grasshopper” model from Webster of Canada actually was supplied in early Porsche 911. For example is there reference in paperwork or on the box linking this well preserved “grasshopper” to Porsche early 911?

While drivers glovebox manual images not always representative of what made it to production from memory this photo I have to hand Is from my original British model 73 booklet printed 9/72
    IMG_7046.jpeg
    This is the Webster I’m familiar with as used in early 911.
    Steve

Ps note the version for early model 73 cars as pictured appears to have the white plastic case, webster foil sticker, ( not plain indented W), no silver sticker on the cylinder, rectangular foam ( not rubber rounded feet / self-moulded plastic cross feet ), no blue BDW foil sticker (things that precede Webster’s arrangement with BDW of Germany — to licence or contract manufacture their design? A change that a well researched reference book by authors with factory archive access tells us happened in 74).
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-20-2024 at 04:32 PM.

Those compressors were not used in Porsches, 100% sure. Webster made compressors for Porsche starting in 1972. There is a compressor that looks like the one you are selling, and they come in blue vinyl boxes. But they are not the same design.

Welcome any "expert" opinion on these but I know Porsche compressors in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbeycem View Post
    Those compressors were not used in Porsches, 100% sure. Webster made compressors for Porsche starting in 1972. There is a compressor that looks like the one you are selling, and they come in blue vinyl boxes. But they are not the same design.

Welcome any "expert" opinion on these but I know Porsche compressors in and out.
    I’m no expert but doubted these “grasshopper” ones were supplied by Porsche in early 911. I know for sure Webster of Canada did supply the 12v electro compressor — like the one in images I show with the now brittle off-white plastic case. However not all the white case ones I see on cars these days are correct in detail for early 911. Many i see are later Porsche or through VW of America; many similar were sold through general retailers like Montgomery Ward in packaging with Wards product number. Some may not care on authenticity detail but others do.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-20-2024 at 05:48 PM.

Your being very diplomatic Steve I'll give it to him straight...No 911 I have ever seen that was made on or before 1973 has had one of those compressors.....simple.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I’m considering this as aftermarket as well. Moved to Other.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

IMG_7046.jpeg

Old school dry small detail in the driver’s manual. I wonder how many folks take onboard the advice on their cars air compressor filter felt

Mine seems to have lost its felt.
    IMG_7053.jpg
    But has has the screw on connector it seems
    IMG_7055.jpg

The early correct ones are date stamped . Also the cooling fins are vertical. Not just getting the appropriate compressor model electro vs Grasshopper … there are many small changes over the year from first introduction to ones used through the 70s Details of authenticity don't matter to some but can be important to others. Especially as folks ask quite high price for these humble accessories should be authentically “correct” is suppose.

The arrangement with BDW was interesting
    ”The electric air compressor (….) was initially made in Canada
    by Webster and was mounted inside a white plastic case. Start-
    ing September 9, 1974, Porsche permanently changed suppliers
    for the electric compressor to BDW (Bayerisches Druckguss
    Werk Thurner KG) in Munich. The white plastic case was still
    marked Webster and had Webster stickers, but the compressor
    had a blue sticker with the "BDW" logo and "BAYR. DRUCK-
    GUSSWERK THURNER KG / 8015 MARKT SCHWABEN/
    W-GERMANY." The compressor itself varied in detail …….
    ” reproduced here with acknowledgements Snodgrass

Zinc Diecasting Was a competence of Webster as explained in the link so perhaps they remained supplier of parts and they appear to have had IP so expect they were compensated when shift was made for logistical reasons. They still supplied Porsche in North American via VW of America — sister to stickers are forums on some with Porsche and what look like vw numbers but doubt they are correct for early 911.

I’ve seen compressors where the body date tamp
    is earlier than September 74 but Webster core cimpetence and ip was the in some areas so likely they supplied components to BDW so there might have been long lead times.

Wonder if air compressor in early model 73 examples would have even had the BDW blue sticker. Quite when these German assembled (probably given the patents under licence and using parts from Webster?) jointly Webster BDW branded appeared wrt 73 and 74 model year 911 is not totally clear. No sticker on black body is as it evidently was at time of the black and white images of examples to hand announced and the photos used on the 73 glovebox manual of 9/72 looks similar so that version. I don’t know bur have some doubts about them in early 911 probably more apt for a 72 built model 73? Date matching and swearing the details of a compressor … good grief. We might soon be debating font and finish of ten a penny German wrenches if we’re not careful I’ll leave it to the experts just a little hobby interest for me.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-21-2024 at 03:40 AM.

Grass Hopper air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Your being very diplomatic Steve I'll give it to him straight...No 911 I have ever seen that was made on or before 1973 has had one of those compressors.....simple.
    You are correct this product was used prior to 1972-73 and probably should be consider an aftermarket answer to no tire compressor supplied by Porsche during that early period. Peter