Thread: TN4 internals

TN4 internals

Electricity and consequently wiring is and has always been a mystery to me. Got a pair of TN4 and trying to figure out the wiring inside the lamp. Backside cover has two tabs (tangs?) Marked one in yellow and one in green. On opening the lamp a bulb is inserted so I am assuming the lamp was working. The actual lens half has the single blue wire. Should there be any wiring to either the green arrow or the yellow arrow. If all is correct, what type of bulb is used. Am I correct in understanding these are halogen lights. Hope to install these on my 912 as driving lights. My fabricator is in the process of installing under the bumper fogs now. I supplied him with the Kroon wiring for this and I guess I'll need as second set for these as driving lights. I assume I'll use two switches. To be correct one should light up green and one yellow. 912 has the wiring from the fuse to the lamp already. Will use relays for both sets. Thanks for any help. Have read all the thread up here and have a simpleton's understanding I think of the general overview.

Name:  TN4-1.png
Views: 138
Size:  616.9 KB

Name:  TN4-2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  88.6 KB

Sorry to say that they are not Halogen. The bulbs used in the TN4 are 35W Tungsten filament. This case was only used on Porsche for the US specific fog lights. Not driving lights. In comparison, the halogen fog and driving lights use the 55W H3 Halogen bulb.

As for the contacts you highlighted, the spring tab connects chassis ground to the bulb holder base (circuit power return). The wire connection is the hot lead. The spade on the case rivet is a ground wire connection point.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Mike

Thanks for the education and disappointment (not so much). I have 3 of these lights. Basically not wired and one is missing the closing clip. Saw you sold two look a likes on the Pelican in 2022. I realize they were NOS. Are these 3 worth anything? If so can you estimate their worth. I can supply pictures of all 3. Also have 3 late versions of the TTG mounts. Probably like to get rid of all as a package or trade for two H15 tungsten US. Any valuation would be helpful.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Mike

Thanks for the education and disappointment (not so much). I have 3 of these lights. Basically not wired and one is missing the closing clip. Saw you sold two look a likes on the Pelican in 2022. I realize they were NOS. Are these 3 worth anything? If so can you estimate their worth. I can supply pictures of all 3. Also have 3 late versions of the TTG mounts. Probably like to get rid of all as a package or trade for two H15 tungsten US. Any valuation would be helpful.
    Thanks

Sure, I’ll take a look and a guess. Pm me your email address.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Your inbox is full. Could not pm you my email.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586