Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tuthill's Newest !!!

There is a lot of competence in Britain’s world leading “motorsport valley” cluster for Tuthills to draw upon even as a small player they are geographically well placed. As context for those unfamiliar with the area every F1 world championship winning constructor back to 2009 season is based 30 miles from Tuthills little operation which gives some sense of skills and experience in the supply base nearby to draw upon. I sometimes wonder if it would be more “honest” to have a Milton Keynes town anthem to play every time Mercedes F1 or Red Bull Racing win in F1 rather than play a German or Austrian anthem since both teams are based around the unprepossessing newtown on Northamptonshire ��. From memory that would be every F1 world constructors championship winner back to 2009 season if we include nearby Brackley. With Red Bull Powertrain emerging to pick up from Honda and Mercedes HPP (formerly Ilmor) at Brixworth Northamptonshire not far away powertrain competence at pinnacle of world motorsport is strong and gravitating into the area. Attracting world class talent. I don’t know which small company is being alluded to but the sleepy village near Banbury is not a bad spot to find folks to design ans build a few engines and other skills for a very small niche project to modify an old 911 base into this buzzy fun toy. While it might not be them Tuthills have been involved with Prodrive on various ways — they are based nearby.

https://www.ennessglobal.com/lifesty...ill-porsche-md

They are just one example of company who have relevant capability

https://www.prodrive.com/performance-powertrains

A photo of the engine build area I took on my recent visit to Prodrive. Much of what saw was “no photography”

Name:  IMG_6836.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  110.5 KB

Williams Advanced Engineering a company I was involved with at various points in its lifecycle were involved in Singer work are also close at the Williams GPE facility in Grove Oxfordshire.

Ricardo have a technical centre about 20miles away and Cosworth one of the most successful engine companies of all time are based in Northampton but maybe a bit niche for them. The scale of the project may be a bit small commercially for some but in terms of competence fhere spoilt for choice !
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-06-2023 at 04:03 AM.

In related historical Porsche news…

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That was a few years ago at Goodwood FoS before lockdowns Peter l. I don’t recall which year exactly but they had a display with this on the paddock near the supercars at side of the house. Had long chat with Dean’s guys who were involved developing it. Should’ve sold them my original vintage TAG Porsche gilet as I don’t need it and doubt they would find another original: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...obilia/page164

Not sure if it sold?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 09-06-2023 at 05:04 AM.

The engine information is out there already...

https://www.raceenginesuppliers.com/...red-by-swindon

Swindon Powertrain. I think there are only a handful of components (6) that are made by Porsche in the engine...the rest is all bespoke.

Shame on me how could I forget about them they were members of same association I was in — they’ve been in high performance engines for many decades.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jimhuiz View Post
    The engine information is out there already...

https://www.raceenginesuppliers.com/...red-by-swindon

Swindon Powertrain. I think there are only a handful of components (6) that are made by Porsche in the engine...the rest is all bespoke.
    Then, there is no secret anymore

Bench racing w/ Swindon’s 4 valve head

This’s an oldish thread, but here goes.

I’m puzzled by the claimed 350hp output from a 3.1L 4v engine at or near 11,000 rpm. Seems it should be higher, maybe significantly.

My thinking is based on the ‘73 / ‘74 3.0L 2v RSR ratings of 315hp / 330hp @ 8000 rpm. Equalizing displacement at Tuthill’s 3.1L’s should boost the RSR’s powers to about 310/340, but I think more significantly, adding another 2000-3000 rpm to peak power rpm should increase peak power to 400 or more; despite the torque curve dropping off due to reducing volumetric efficiency and increasing bearing friction as rpm rise. Likely top end breathing had to be compromised quite a bit to preserve adequate torque at the low end with fixed valve timing.

When I 1st read news of Swindon’s 4v head late last fall, I sent a message asking if they’re exploring variable valve timing. My note went unanswered. My prediction is variable valve timing will be the next step. Much of the benefit of creating a 4v head capable of running to 11,000-12,000 rpm for possible street use goes untapped without VVT.

Just my $.02.
    Last edited by Bob Schaefer; 02-04-2024 at 08:14 AM.
    Bob Schaefer

‘67 911S Canary/Lemon yellow, sunroof coupe produced w/100L tank. Until determined otherwise, 306943S appears to be 1 of 1, and among the earliest 911’s with a 100L tank. The 911’s initial participation in a competitive event, the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally, was fitted with a 100L tank (#300055). Seeking additional info on earliest 100L tank fitments to 911’s.

‘70 914/6 (2.7l RS spec engine, but searching for 6404915 original)

That's a complicated piece of kit.

The Lazante TAG F1 engine was "turned down" for longevity. I recollect only 9 grand, down from 11,000 originally used for racing where they are torn down regularly.

What do we know about the rods, crank and bearings used?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111