Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Le Mans 2023 results...

Personally, this was the most interesting part…

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Personally, this was the most interesting part…
    click bait alert!!! ....did i miss any overtaking maneuvers or was there simply none to see?
    if there would not have been the engine sound(there is better ones out there) i would have fallen asleep.

...or is it just me and my not understanding of nascar culture?

somehow this reminded me in burt reynolds movies

I don't follow NASCAR, but I will say this was intriguing and they proved themselves in surprising ways. This is not a series they develop a car for and therefore do not have the experience and development time under their belts. Few interesting bits:
    1) they qualified three seconds faster than the entire 21-car GT class
    2) they finished the race - impressive for a car not tested for a 24 hour race
    3) had a chance to actually to win the class deep into the race
    4) they won the pit crew competition and were the only team to use a manual instead of air jack! I see this like a manual vs PDK comparison

Pretty interesting stuff if you are a NASCAR fan or not. Frankly, I wish Porsche showed up better in a race they have lots of experience and success in.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

I am a following NASCAR fan. I believe that the joint venture between Chevrolet, NASCAR, and Hendrick, is a test for a new series that might be in the pipeline. They would not have spend the money it took to put this deal together if there was not a end plan.

member #1515
    Joe Huffaker used to say that we euro sports car guys were idiots. Nascar races $50k cars for $250K prize money and we race $250K cars for $50k prize money. Please adjust these values for inflation.
    That said the sound of this thing was incredible.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    I think the AOC changing the 'equivalence' a few days before the race was really unfair and really helped Ferrari at the expense of Peugeot ... Porsche seemed to be unlucky on several counts; I have no doubt they'll come back stronger next year.
    Yes, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) changed the Balance Of Perfomance (BOP) a few days before the race and added 37 kg to the Toyotas.
    I dislike when they do this.

Porsche wasn't lucky but the cars were never fast nor reliable.
    Last edited by 928cs; 06-14-2023 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 928cs View Post
    Yes, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) changed the Balance Of Perfomance (BOP) a a few days before the race and added 37 kg to the Toyotas.
    I dislike when they do this.
    Was the "fix" in to try to produce a result that had the Ferrari win the centenary race?? It certainly made a great headline on their return after 50 years. The ACO have made some very "strange" decisions like this over the years
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776