Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just for the record Rick, those are hydraulic tensioners. I'm sure Marco will update the idler arms. Are those new pistons /cylinders under the cart?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

More Just an Engine . . .

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    . . . Just for the record Rick, those are hydraulic tensioners. I'm sure Marco will update the idler arms . . .
    There you go, Ed --- + corrected my post

. . . Are those new pistons /cylinders under the cart? . . .
    Yup --- switching over to Nikasil (Mahle) from the Birals she came with. Although it was doable, Marco told me the cost to re-furb the Birals wouldn't be smart money spent, so that was a short conversation. And I'm not 2nd-guessing him on this. Besides, that was the direction Porsche went? (+ lighter, too?) Anyway --- another thread . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...Nikasil-Issues

The Birals that were taken out didn't look too bad. Most of the cross-hatching was gone, and one of the pistons had scuffed its barrel --- but the others had just worn through their rings. And except for a coupla twinks, even the cooling fins were still intact

There's still some crack-checking to do --- crank + case . . . but . . . lucky so far

Fingers crossed

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, I put the nikasil Mahles in my 2.4 S a couple years ago, you're gonna love them! The break-in trip was to the last Renn-sport, was almost back home before I had to add the first quart of oil.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Re: Post #897

That was a impressive reply from Marco. Not all engine rebuilders are good communicators.
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Long Ranger: Ten Fifty-nine is a cool car with a fascinating story. I appreciate the leg work you did to learn about the car’s history. Hopefully some of those hand-written letters you sent will prove to be like long-lived messages in a bottle that’ll be discovered one day, somehow yielding the information you seek.

First, I’m crazy about Ten Fifty-nine’s color. I, too, have a car painted 8383. Mine is a 1971 Targa, so technically the code is 8310. If I ever need a repaint, I’ll reach out to John Esposito, who did a tremendous job with your car.

As a fan of you (I appreciate the perspective and energy you bring to many early911sregistry discussions) and your car, I find myself wanting to ask one question: have you ever considered re-painting the Porsche shield on the lower part of both front fenders?

To my eye, those shields are beautiful and a unique part of your car’s history. If you can firmly cement the link to the factory-racer program (and I think you have, but I’ve only quickly read your car’s fascinating story), I’d be inclined to go for it myself. Repainting them seems in line with your "originality" thrust; if you add originality to unique, you get what to me is an irresistible combination. The hassle would be to execute the painting to the caliber of the original. You are good at solving such challenges.

I’ll never be able to afford your car, but if I ever buy a coupe, your’s is the one I’d want. In addition to being a cool car, it would come with the good karma you’ve added.

Howard
    1971 911 T Targa, metallic green

Porsche shields

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.13.46 PM.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  105.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 2.13.32 PM.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  53.3 KB

Further to my post from earlier today, here are images of the Porsche shield. These appeared in post number 501 (approximately) of this thread.

HH
    1971 911 T Targa, metallic green

Hi, Howard . . .

First of all --- thank you for your note. It's always good to hear from people, especially when the comments are positive. There’s really no place else where I can tell this kinda stuff, so I appreciate your writing. Glad you’re enjoying it

My adventures with 1059 were --- and still are . . . very-much a surprise. When I started-out looking for an Early 911, all I wanted was a semi-decent car to play-around with + slowly make nicer. And the whole ‘history’ thing was kind of a lark, to start-out with. I mean --- all I really had was a key fob, fercryinoutloud!. And look where that went. Really --- I had no idea that an old car in North Carolina could have come from where it came from. But while I was lucky to learn something about the very beginning of the car’s story, with the help of Karim + others . . . it’s unfortunate (+ more-than-a-little frustrating) that some of the people whom I’ve reached-out to --- people who actually knew the Man Back Then . . . who worked with him, played with him, spent no-small-amount of time with him . . .

Jack Heuer . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post697590

Derek Bell
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post749777

Vic Elford
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post826287

Brian Redman
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post987644

. . . have never responded to any of my inquiries

The Siffert family’s reticence, I can appreciate --- I mean, I’m sure Madame Siffert has no interest in re-visiting so sad a chapter in her life over something as trivial as an old car. But as for the Drivers + business partners? --- well? . . . who knows?

I had a discussion --- some time ago, now . . . with Stevie --- about finding/seeing any more photos of the car. Mr Siffert was a very public person and indeed there are no shortage of photographs of him . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=siffert

. . . so I’m almost sure that somewhere there are random snap-shots taken by people who were in the Right Place, the Right Time, people who may not even know that they have a picture that would be meaningful to someone like me, here in Our Little Corner

In the mean time --- the best picture I’ve come across? . . .

. . . is the one of the dark-colored car, with the ‘zoll’ plates, chrome bumper guards, and (if you look very closely) a 1970Le Mans’ pit pass in it’s window . . .

. . . parked in front of Mr Siffert’s Freiburg dealership. And, yes --- I’ve written Laurent Missbauer, the owner of the image and an Historian of Things Siffert, several times, now . . . asking for a bigger/clearer picture. Also . . . no response

Regarding your comment about the Porsche ‘shields’ . . .

I believe there were at least three coats of paint removed from the car when John Esposito refinished 1059, ten years, ago, now. But at the time, no mention was made of any shields being found --- on either fender . . . although the driver’s side fender had been repaired/refinished at least once, already, 20-some years prior. Because 1059 was refinished already --- and there are still ~10 un-documented years in Switzerland . . . I can’t be sure of who did what or when they did it. But, given the number of other ‘Siffert’ cars that have been found so far? . . .

. . . I doubt Mr Siffert added the shield. Now, as for the glove-box? . . .

. . . think the previous owner had a nice wife who wanted to make her contribution . . .
    . . . who knows?

One thing that I do believe was put on the car by Mr Siffert? . . .

. . . the ‘CH’ tag --- right smack in the middle of the engine lid, too . . . which is now alu, too!

Not exactly my taste, but? --- with two likely examples? . . . hhhhhhhhh

And regarding the color . . .

. . . I love it, too. Funny thing is, most people don’t seem to like green, like – at all. And, yet --- Porsches came in a virtual galaxy of greens . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=catalog

Truth is? . . .

. . . that color 's prolly why I bought the car, in the first place. After I 1st saw it, I just could not get that green out of my mind

Thanks again for writing! . . .

. . . I'm all fired-up, again

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.

We Can Be Heroes