Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Scammer

I think I may have also almost been the unwitting victim of a scammer. In my search for a set of Solex's, I received the following email which is remarkably similar to the one received by MrLegendary on 3-5-2014. To wit:

Thanks for writing. Great ! I have a set of original solex carbs for a
    1966 911 in excellent shape and condition as shown in the attached
    photos, ready to mount on. I'm asking £2,500 GBP and I will be
    shipping via UPS or FedEx on a 3 - 7 working days delivery and will
    accept payment via an instant bank transfer. What's your complete
    shipping address?

Many thanks again and regards,

David

I wrote back a couple days ago asking for more details, and I have not heard a word. The first thing that raised suspicion was this insistence that payment must be by "instant bank transfer." Who doesn't use Paypal for something like this? If his does respond to my inquiry I will inquire.

Jamie Klein

I am convinced now that my inquiry was in fact a scam. When I asked for further information and whether he had and could include the full pumps, I received the following email and some attached images:

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for writing again. Of course, it's a complete set of original
    '66 911 solex carbs with all linkages, bits and pieces with the
    butterfly valves moving freely. Also, I also have a NOS Pierburg dual
    fuel pumps which is a perfect fit to the setup in excellent shape and
    condition as you can see from the photos attached. I'll welcome price
    offer as asking price is a bit flexible. Let me know what you are
    offering for the carbs and pumps.

Many thanks again and regards,

David

It turns out the images were actually from a Pelican Parts forum in 2010: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...p-nos-oem.html I have instructed Mr. Leslie to refrain from further communication. In the event that you receive an email from a dleslie483@gmail.com, do not respond.

BEWARE!!!

There are all sort's of bad behavior..... Those who try to just take your money and those who take your money and then sell the items to others for a higher price. It's worth reading this link to the 912 board....

http://www.912bbs.org/vb/showthread....2-air-cleaners

After vetting the information from both parties I believe the moderator has blocked the seller from any further postings as well as reinstated the original thread....

Be advised.... He's a user of this forum also ....

Quote Originally Posted by msark View Post
    BEWARE!!!

There are all sort's of bad behavior..... Those who try to just take your money and those who take your money and then sell the items to others for a higher price. It's worth reading this link to the 912 board....

After vetting the information from both parties I believe the moderator has blocked the seller from any further postings as well as reinstated the original thread....

In my communications with Mike, however limited, he has always been a forthright, upstanding guy.
    And good grammar / sentence structure to boot.
    I've never met him and have no stake in this except to say that EVERYONE has made a mistake now and then.
    Why would anyone try to screw anyone for a set of 912 air cleaners? (Think about it) seriously...

BEWARE!!!

You decided to make this your first post here.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Do you really think we need to be warned agains one of our own with more than 1000 posts an zero negative feedback?? If you had spent 5 minutes doing research here, you would have discovered this is one of the good-guys in our early 911/912 world.

If you had tried, this would have been sorted out instead of this stab in the back..
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

I read the 912 post you highlighted. At least the guy returned your funds immediately. If you start each day assuming everything will go well you will be unhappy. If you start each day knowing that something will go wrong you will be prepared and just laugh it off.

BEWARE!!!

Scammer alert

Scammers have been attacking our WTB ads. You need to be watchful and vigilant in terms of protecting your money and online identity...

What To Do

Know who you’re dealing with.

Try to find a seller’s physical address (not just a P.O. Box) and phone number. With internet phone services and other web-based technologies, it’s tough to tell where someone is calling from. Do an internet search for the company name and website, and look for negative reviews. If you find them, you’ll have to decide if the offer is worth the risk. After all, it’s only a good deal if you actually get a product that works.

Understand that wiring money is like sending cash.

Con artists often insist that people wire money, especially overseas, because it’s nearly impossible to reverse the transaction or trace the money. Don’t wire money to strangers, to sellers who insist on wire transfers for payment, or to anyone who claims to be a relative or family friend in an emergency who wants to keep the request a secret.

Read your monthly statements.

Scammers steal account information and then run up charges or commit crimes in your name. Dishonest merchants bill you for monthly “membership fees” and other goods or services without your authorization. If you see charges you don’t recognize or didn’t okay, contact your bank, card issuer, or other creditor immediately.

What Not To Do

Don’t send money to someone you don’t know.

Not an online seller you’ve never heard of — nor an online love interest who asks for money. It’s best to do business with sites you know and trust. If you buy items through an online auction, consider using an option that provides protection, like a credit card.

If you think you’ve found a good deal, but you aren’t familiar with the company, do some research. Type the company or product name into your favorite search engine with terms like “review,” “complaint” or “scam.” See what comes up – on the first page of results as well as on the later pages.

Never pay fees now for the promise of a big pay-off later — whether it’s for a loan, a job, or a so-called prize.

Don’t agree to deposit a check and wire money back.

No matter how convincing the story. By law, banks have to make funds from deposited checks available within days, but uncovering a fake check can take weeks. You’re responsible for the checks you deposit: If a check turns out to be a fake, you’re responsible for paying back the bank.

Don’t reply to messages asking for personal or financial information.

That goes whether the message comes as an email, a phone call, a text message, or an ad. Don’t click on links or call phone numbers included in the message, either. It’s called phishing. The crooks behind these messages are trying to trick you into revealing sensitive information. If you got a message like this and you are concerned about your account status, call the number on your credit or debit card — or your statement — and check on it.

AND NEVER CLICK ON SUSPICIOUS LINKS

Source: www.onguardonline.gov
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

And another one...tomssidney@gmail.com
    Responded to two different WTB with the exact same response to both ads...
    "Hello

let me know if you have any lead or order on your wtb ad, if you're still in the market I can help you out."

Told him politely to "fall on a stick."
    registry# 1283

tomssidney@gmail.com aka Tom Sidney is working Pelican parts as well.. Scammer ..