Thread: Sibling for my SWB

Sibling for my SWB

I have been asking myself the following question lately. As an owner of a SWB car would I enjoy a sister car from the 1969-1973 era or would I find them to similar. More specifically, would it make sense to either buy a 2.2 or 2.4 T or even 2.2 or 2.4 S to add to the garage. I have yet to drive any of the 4 but will in the coming weeks. I have been reading much on the net and also on this site about different views, which has been most helpful.

The question I specifically ask myself are do would I prefer the short stroke engine vs. the 2.4 and/or do I need the power of an S vs. a T. And finally, would the mentioned cars be to “close” in character to my SWB that I don’t really need both and hence I should get something “younger”. Perhaps as reference, I currently use my SWB for classic racing events and the car, engine and suspension are specifically set up for that. The idea for the second car is to be more of a “GT” like motor for casual cruising on weekends with the family.

I will hold back on my limited preliminary conclusions for now as I for one would like to drive the cars first to better positioned to comment but also – initially, prefer to not influence people’s feedback. Perhaps some have had similar thoughts in the past.

Appreciate any thoughts and comments

Many thx

TEE
    Registry Member #1869

Can't go wrong with a '73 TES, MFI of course.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

No owners of both SWB and one of the above who could provide some personal perspective? Would certainly appreciate it. Best,
    TEE
    Registry Member #1869

Hi,
    I own a '68S in "sports purpose" mode and a 964RS Clubsport. Both are uncompromising and not for family cruises - I have got a BMW Z4 M Roadster for that stuff.

If I were in your position, I would rather go for a nice G-Modell, e.g. a good 3,2l Carrera Coupe. Or if you want modern performance and technology, a 964C2.

But I would not go for another F-modell if your look for a Touring car, owning a SWB, as you do. I am afraid the cars might be too close in spirit.
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

No way. My 67S and my 73S are night and day. MFI vs Vergasser. 901 vs 915. Weight. The 67 is great for point and squirt driving as well as long drives, a somewhat primitive feel primitive feel compared to the 73S. The 73S is more user friendly, torque, better creature comforts and incredible on long cross country trips. Its the difference between my speedster and the 912. The 67 and 73 are very different experiences IMHO. And with the F model you have classic!
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

I have a 68S and a 73S Targa. I agree with 2 very different driving experiences. The 73S is much more planted and stable especially at higher speed. Fun highway cruiser and also spirited driver in any situation. 68S feels lighter and a bit more twitchy but very very fun. By myself, I prefer to jump in the 68. With the spouse, targa top off and run around in the 73S. Both are great but very different, I think. Name:  2Cars.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  67.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thank you for the feedback. The main concern I have is that both cars are to close in spirit. Equally, as the SWB is set up for historic racing incl. cage and buckets it is less suited for Touring, certainly if I want a non-dedicated passenger to join for the ride. That is where the later F-Models come in and KAW may be on the mark with some of his comments. Looked at the G-Model and am looking for a WTL as I don’t like the narrow body or the Turbo for that matter.

Anyway, will need to drive a few cars to see where my head is in all of this.

Best,
    TEE
    Registry Member #1869

Not sure how "younger" you want to go but how about a 993...c4s if you like the wtl?

No real interest in 993/964 with perhaps the exception of the RS models.
    Registry Member #1869