Thread: Value/Addtional History: 1970 911 Coupe w History?

Value/Addtional History: 1970 911 Coupe w History?

I am hoping some of the veterans on this site can chime in or perhaps help me out. I am unsure as to the route I am going to go on this car and hope other can lend a hand. I recently bought a 1970 911 coupe that was owned in the early 70's by Hans Mandt. It has remained in this his family until my purchase. I have copied the details that were sent to me. I am hoping somone can chime into a ballpark value or if they have any other knowledge/pictures about this car it would be greatly appreciated. It does have real ST and RSR parts on it.

Here are some pictures that I took.

http://s263.photobucket.com/user/MrBMW2002/library/ptss

Here is the description sent to me.

’70 911T Tub For Sale
    VIN#9110102300

HERE IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO OWN A PART OF IMSA’S EARLY HISTORY.

First time offered is this early 911 tub that was to be used as a spare car for the Toad Hall Race Team. Started by Hans S. Mandt, three-time IMSA Mechanic of the Year, who raced DKWs in Germany in the 50s and went on to build and race an Elva DKW and a MGA for SCCA in the early 60s.

Overview of Hans’ early U.S. history

Hans started his U.S. career with Brumos Porsche in 1967, as the Chief Mechanic on Peter Gregg’s Porsche 906 in the USRRA series – the forerunner to U.S. endurance racing as we know it today. In 1968-69, Hans became the Crew Chief for Peter Gregg’s Trans-AM under-two-liter Porsche 911, and at the request of the Porsche factory, also crewed for their wining Porsche 907 at the 1968 24 Hours of Daytona, the marque’s first overall win in a 24 hour race.

With Hans at the helm, Peter won the 1969 under-two-liter Championship and the SCCA BS Championship. For 1970, Brumos, with Peter as the primary driver, raced a Porsche 911S in the FIA rounds at Sebring and Watkins Glen. Hans also crewed on David Piper’s distinctive green Porsche 917 at the 24 Hours of Daytona. He was the Crew Chief for Brumos Porsche/Audi effort with two Porsche 914/6s in SCCA CP Class races, and was also Peter Gregg’s Crew Chief for a Lola T165 that Brumos raced in selective Can-AM events.

Winning became the signature for Mandt. In 1971, Brumos entered the first year of IMSA with Peter Gregg and Hurley Haywood winning the GT Championship with Porsche’s 914/6 GT, and Hans Mandt picked up his first of three successive IMSA Mechanic of the Year awards.

By 1972, Hans was ready to move on and joined Mike Keyser’s Toad Hall Racing, campaigning a rare factory-supported Porsche 9llST 2.5 litre car. They had class wins at FIA-sanctioned events including the 24 hours of Le Mans, Targa Florio and the Watkins Glen 6-Hour. Toad Hall won the IMSA Team Championship that year; Toad Hall Driver Bob Beasley finished 2nd to Peter Gregg in the Driver’s Championship and Hans won his 2nd mechanic of the year award.

Toad Hall had a second Porsche 911S 2.5 litre car, which Hans had converted from a 1971 street 911S and this car ran in selected IMSA events when Toad Hall ran two cars. The back-up 911S was sold and a project was begun to build another backup Porsche 911 to ST specs.

This is the 911 tub being offered

A 1970 911T was purchased and brought to Toad Hall’s shop where it was stripped of its front LWB flares and factory front ST flares installed. Additionally Porsche Kremer rear fiberglass flares were added by Hans, also an excellent body man. Hans and the Kremers go back to the 60s as Manfred and Erwin Kremer are from the same town in Germany as Hans – Cologne. So close was the relationship, the Kremers and Toad Hall partnered in using each other’s shops when each respective team was in the USA or Europe.
    This relationship continued with Hans preparing a Kremer 911 in the early 70s for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The project was put on hold due to Toad Hall deciding to purchase a brand new 1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.8. After finishing second at the 12 Hours of Sebring, wining the GT class at the Six Hours of Watkins Glen and taking another second in the IMSA Driving Championship, Hans won his third IMSA mechanic of the year award.

Meanwhile the 1970 flared 911 remained covered in the shop.

For 1974, a new factory Porsche RSR 3.0 was purchased for the IMSA season and Le Mans and the 1973 RS was converted by Hans to 1974 body and specs.

After the ’74 season Hans went out on his own, and opened a race shop in South Florida – HSM Racing – where he would build successful cars and motors for many of the top teams in the series, including RSR, 934, 935 teams such as Ecurie Escargot, George Dyer Racing, Van Every Racing, Diego Fiebles, and many more. In addition to this, Hans was a successful independent shop owner garnering an impressive list of customers across Florida and the country.

As time, money, and health ran its course, the 1970 911 remained covered. Even up to his death in 2006, Hans fully intended to complete the original project using spare RSR parts that he had accumulated over the years. The car sits as it has since 1972 waiting for the right owner to make it into the racer that Hans had envisioned from day one.

I look forward to hearing comments and hopefully recovering some of its history.
    Brad

Did ya ever have any luck w/ the history of this car?

Here's another Guy+thread who seems to have pretty steady contact w/ the Principals . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ST-in-Progress

You two ever talk?

Be interesting to compare these two cars, anyway
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-03-2015 at 07:20 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Hmmm, I think I might have the ducktail for this car.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Been Five Years . . .

. . . Olde Threade Alerte

How'd all this turn out?

Anything ever happen with this car?

I mean --- a Toad Hall sorta-back-up car? . . . c'mon!

We Can Be Heroes

The old Hans Mandt car is now with me. It is just as it was in 2013. I would like to reach the original poster, Brad if anyone knows him. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rennman; 12-20-2020 at 03:54 PM.

It is not very clear to me. This vehicle is the "S / T" camera Do I see the hood behind

Hey Don. I will give you a call now.

Another 'Toad Hall' Car . . .

. . . more-or-less . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . VIN = 9112300538
    Eng# = 6622022
    Trans# = ?
    Prod# = 1022592
    . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    It is not very clear to me. This vehicle is the "S / T" camera Do I see the hood behind
    The hood is the one off the camera car, but the car pictured. Hans Dieter screwed me over on that roller as it was to me my commission for liquidating his father's shop. We use to be very close and to this day, I have no idea why he turned on me. I put a lot of money in his pocket, real money. We went way back as well and had a weekly lunch event. The owner of I-Systems a former Toad Hall driver, bought that 911T new as his buy in for the team, plus was in the process of building me a 3.5, that was going to look like a 2.5, but we stopped when Hans screwed me. The same form driver also gave me the Hood mount fog lights from his old Toad Hall race , as seen in Speed Merchants
    Byron Von Dwyer,

20+ Year PCA

Active Rennlist Member.
    http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/

Want to Start a Porsche Related Business??
    I'm getting burned out, see my blog for more info
    Byron me911bvd@aol.com
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.p...log&blogid=337