Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: So what are these SWB 911's like to drive and live with ?

Yes. Easiest way to 'describe' it is to go look at the Alfa Brembo thread on this site. If I had to do it again I might have gone with the GT3 front Chris has. He has 'proprietary' info on what coil overs to run on that setup. I'm running custom Koni's but the GT3 would have been about the same cost and shaved some weight the vented rotors added.

Chris- really nice job. Seems to be an excellent setup for the work to be done. Can totally see your 7k racer running through Lake Eldora :-) What shocks are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pomares View Post
    As I drive mostly north of 7000 feet on tight mountain roads the marriage of tiny twisty roads and a SWB car is pure heaven. With Elephants GT3 front suspension and coil overs the car tracks through sweepers better. Maybe not as well as a LWB car but my car is the perfect Porsche for the roads I spend the majority of my time on.

I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Alfa Brembo and spacers on stock rear calipers first brake upgrade.
    Boxster front calipers and 42 mm piston custom rear calipers. Keeps the proper 1.6 brake bias. 20.2 mm master. Current up grade.
    Coil overs and 16/16 mm front and rear sways. All suspension pickup points are reinforced.
    Not for most. Perfect for me.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Like I said; 'propriety' info from Chris. I might be able to get it if I signed an NDA but at, presumably, some cost. Alternatively you could get the Koni set up I'm running with an NDA The more important thing is where Chris welded reinforcements.

Those pictures are somewhere around pages 25 to35 on the thread about the car.
    Shocks are Bilstein. I prefer Koni but couldn’t find a coil over set up for Koni. Why Koni? Maybe because it was optioned that way when the car was new and I liked that I could adjust them to my liking.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 05-06-2024 at 07:31 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Thank you all so much for these great responses- Haasman I would love to learn to use the trailing throttle oversteer as you mention- any suggestions on how to get started with that?
    Also may I ask is your ‘66 a stock motor? Webers with the upgraded ‘67 exhaust by chance (no restrictor?)
    For me sometimes again- less is more- I like rowing through the gears and really wringing it out at reasonable speeds (I also have a running ‘66 912 w a 1750 kit)

My main question is to set up as
    66 with some form of stock motor and solex cams
    Or
    67S setup with of course S cams and the resulting higher rev range. “Explosive pickup” in the hi revs I hear.
    I know there are newer cams that offer a wider power band but I have really enjoyed driving cars with a tighter “vintage” power band- sort of like a handicap-
    Reminds me of watching the old masters play tennis in the 70’s with wooden rackets- it was ALL strategy and so fun to watch how good they were at slow speeds by today’s standards

A small power band similarly makes you work to figure out how to make things work- very exciting drive imho- never drove a stock ‘67 S tho- does one even exist on earth haha-
    Almost every old porsche has been lovingly breathed on
    Thanks again for any replies

Quote Originally Posted by Strato 102 View Post
    I really like going into "Rare,Vintage, Antiquarian and Out of Print " book stores and asking where the transportation section is. Some guy wearing a beret and reading Yeats won't even look up and tell you they'd be way in the back if they have any of that stuff at all. So you go in the back and find the book on the right for 5 bucks and you read it. Then you buy the book on the left and you read that. Then you are conflicted. The book on the left has a section by one of the Keno brothers. He writes about the detrimental effects on restoring case furniture and how the same holds true for cars. These guys know their stuff but I don't ever recall hearing about a tall chest of drawers over cooking it coming into a small Sicilian village, plowing into haybales and a corner of a building and having it's fenders banged out with a rock so this furniture can continue the Targa. The book on the left chastised Sterling Moss and everybody involved for crashing the 1959 Lemans winning Aston Martin in the late 90's. There is even a picture of before and after to highlight this crime. The book on the right shows Moss in different events in the rarest of the rare Mercedes 196 SLRs doing what they were built to do and every one of them is HAMMERED. The DBR1 that won Lemans had nasty looking fender spats on all four corners that John Wyer thought were a must for less wind resistence. The book on the left shows the car without these in it's "before" picture, when it was so perfect. These spats were welded on and they were ugly AND they original. Whoops! There is no point to this but maybe it's a metaphor concerning this whole dicussion here, both are good books. I just don't think it's a crime to read and reread the one on the right. Even if it needs to be re-bound one day.Attachment 241480
    This post is a masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Strato 102 View Post
    I really like going into "Rare,Vintage, Antiquarian and Out of Print " book stores and asking where the transportation section is. Some guy wearing a beret and reading Yeats won't even look up and tell you they'd be way in the back if they have any of that stuff at all. So you go in the back and find the book on the right for 5 bucks and you read it. Then you buy the book on the left and you read that. Then you are conflicted. The book on the left has a section by one of the Keno brothers. He writes about the detrimental effects on restoring case furniture and how the same holds true for cars. These guys know their stuff but I don't ever recall hearing about a tall chest of drawers over cooking it coming into a small Sicilian village, plowing into haybales and a corner of a building and having it's fenders banged out with a rock so this furniture can continue the Targa. The book on the left chastised Sterling Moss and everybody involved for crashing the 1959 Lemans winning Aston Martin in the late 90's. There is even a picture of before and after to highlight this crime. The book on the right shows Moss in different events in the rarest of the rare Mercedes 196 SLRs doing what they were built to do and every one of them is HAMMERED. The DBR1 that won Lemans had nasty looking fender spats on all four corners that John Wyer thought were a must for less wind resistence. The book on the left shows the car without these in it's "before" picture, when it was so perfect. These spats were welded on and they were ugly AND they original. Whoops! There is no point to this but maybe it's a metaphor concerning this whole dicussion here, both are good books. I just don't think it's a crime to read and reread the one on the right. Even if it needs to be re-bound one day.Attachment 241480
    I shall pray that Sir Stirling is forgiven for his crimes against automobiles when I attend the by-invitation service of thanksgiving his family is holding for him at Westminster Abbey tomorrow!
    Name:  IMG_5968.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  30.6 KB

Plenty of evidence of the abuse in his personal scrapbooks in the library of my club
    Name:  IMG_5970.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  86.2 KB
    Photographed here with an early 911, that had a ski rack accessory — appeared in an auction per the watermark.
    Name:  IMG_5969.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  93.8 KB

Probably borrowed it based on the licence plate. Can’t see any damage this time.

Don’t think early 911 model was his transport of choice more often we’d see him on a scooter coming and going from to clubhouse from his Mayfair news house in nearby Shepherd’s Market. Once a “red light” area and where the “famous steering wheel club” frequented by all the driving greats was situated. Motorsport /Automobile Clubs and “crumpet” all on his doorstep — no wonder he lived there since sixties. Note the images in etched into the glass roof terrace and Juliette balcony of his mews house:
    Name:  IMG_5972.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  45.7 KB
    RIP Stirling

Regarding earliest 911 a few words giving a historical development perspective from Peter Falk seem relevant to the OP :“… almost daily we would get a call from the branch in Avignon to say that customers didn't even attempt to drive at 100 kph on the highway when the Mistral was blowing. We came up with a quick solution using cast iron weights in the the front bumper, ten kilos each side. The bumper was first filled with Plasticine, a mold was then made and cast with iron. Those weights in the bumper increased the moment of inertia of the vehicle around the vertical and longitudinal axes. The 911 responded more slowly and was thus easier to correct. From an engineering point of view, that was not an ideal solution as it made the car 20 kilograms heavier.

The development of the 911 continued. Until the summer of 1965, a production-related handicap had the designers on their toes. There was a directive stipulating not to instal the possibility to adjust the camber and castor angle at the front axle, hence the front axle geometry was never completely right because the bodies had manufacturing tolerances. The possibility to adjust the suspension was only built in after the customer service and the experimental department put in their hefty protest.

In the summer of 1968 Porsche started to dispatch the 911 to customers with another significant improvement. The wheelbase had grown from 2,211 to 2,268 millimetres, which improved the handling considerably. The rear had become more settled and directional stability improved.“

Most will know of Falk’s credentials to speak of such things as he was central to developments of every era of air-cooled 911: “From the first 901 to the very last air-cooled type 993, every Porsche 911 bears the signature of Peter Falk, who joined the company in 1959 as a suspension engineer in Zuffenhausen and quickly rose through the ranks to head various experimental departments. In the sixties, Falk took over the tactical and technical leadership of the factory "Rennsport" team. As the race director from 1981 to 1988, he and his squad achieved the greatest successes for Porsche so far … “

Steve

PS the book on left if image in the earlier post by Strato102 has a quirky angle by collating input on the topic of its title from a variety of perspectives so different from many automotive titles — it makes an interesting read.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-07-2024 at 02:45 AM.

What are they like to drive FROM AN EXPERT

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Incredible
    I am driving my own feather pants!
    Feels right

This is too good🙏
    Deep cosmic car synchronicity on the Thanksgiving service timing!