Engine Number: 6230889
    Transmission Number: 325509
    Paint Code: 325509 (or 414 9-2)
    Original color, Olive Green *SO Special Order
    US Equipment
    Green tinted Glass
    Dunlop Tires

Per Hemings Motor News:
    For the model year 1972, Porsche built 12,962 911’s. Of those, only 1,750 sere S coupes and JUST 989 were S-spec Targa’s. I do not know how many 1972 911S Targa’s with Special Order Oliver were produced.

This 911S Targa was purchased by Mr. Douglas Deis of North Ogden Utah. The story of how Mr. Deis acquired the Targa is interesting. He ran a business from the age of 19-22 years of age, which is how he had the money to buy a Porsche. He wanted to do a European delivery and drive through Europe. Due to the short notice, he could not get the allotment to do a European delivery. His brother was a friend of Don Burns, owner of Don Burns Porsche Audi in Garden Grove California. Mr. Burns had personally ordered the Olive green 911S Targa. When Mr. Burns heard about the situation, he gave Douglas his allotment. Mr. Deis went to Germany and had the Factory delivery with the Olive green 911S Targa that was previously ordered by Don Burns.
    While in Europe, service was performed at the Peterman Muller dealership in Hanover Germany.

Upon delivery of the Targa, Mr. Deis proceeded to do what any young man would do with a brand new Porsche. He travelled throughout Europe creating memories. The countries he drove through were Stockholm, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy and Switzerland. He then had the car sent to Dave Strong Porsche in Salt Lake City Utah. Upon returning to the US with the Targa, Mr. Deis went back to college to receive his BS, MS, and PhD.
    Mr. Deis has written me so that I can pass on his contact info to the new owner.

Mr. Deis travelled in the Targa between Utah and Southern California. The car was regularly serviced at Don Burns Porsche in Garden Grove and Dave Strong Porsche Audi in Utah.

After 12 years of ownership, in 1984, Mr. Deis sold the targa to another Utah resident, Mr. Alan Miller. Mr. Miller sold to the car to an avid Southern California air cooled Porsche enthusiast. When I saw the Targa at a Dunkel Brothers Swap meet in Anaheim California, I literally harassed the owner to sell me the Targa. I purchased the Targa in March of 2003.

Under my ownership, the Targa has had only needed and then replaced items as necessary for cosmetics and mechanicals.

Exterior:
    In 1975-76, Mr. Deis was traveling in Jackson Hole Wyoming, and he encountered ice. The damage Wass to the from spoiler and right front fender. He states the Best body shop in Utah repaired the car and the paint came from Porsche. The paint shows in Excellent, as original condition. I very recently had the car detailed by one of So Cal’s finest mobile detailers. The hood was covered in PPF in the early 2000’s, back when PPF first started its popularity. It was then you only did half the hood, just past the Porsche crest. The hood crest is original.
    There are some chips in the hood paint and the front bumper is showing its wear from its 122,000 miles. I still use the original style hood bra when traveling.
    Both doors still have the Porsche “ping” upon closing. The doorshood and deck lid gaps are excellent. The hood closes with minimal effort.

The Targa bar is in Excellent condition. The stainless steel finish is as factory as you will find.

Four of the Flat Six Fuch alloys were refinished by Al Reed by the prior owner. The spare is not. I have always used Michelin XWX 185x70R15’s on the car.
    All lights are in working order.

Bosch H4 headlights installed.

Interior:
    Under my ownership, the stock comfort seats were replaced with factory Recaro sport seats. I purchased the seats from a noted So Cal Porsche collector. He sourced the houndstooth from Alois Run before having Autos International reupholster the seats and head rests in black vinyl.
    The dash is original with the small usual crack at the left top of the speaker grille. No warping or any other damage. The carpet is original. A worn spot in the carpet is at the usual dead pedal location. The carpet mats are in excellent condition and covered by Coco mats in the front and the original sisle mats in the rear.

The clock and speedometer have been rebuilt.

The knee pads are original, original Blaupunkt AM-FM radio and speaker, dash strips and rear parcel shelf vinyl.
    The door panels are original, in excellent condition. The door pockets are original.
    Visors have been replaced.

The Targa top was reupholstered by Autos International in 2017, keeping the original headliner and replacing the top seals.

The black PORSCHE lettering on the deck lid has been replaced. The chrome deco strips and thresholds have been replaced.The deck lid grille is original.

Mechanical:
    The Targa has had meticulous maintenance from all owners since new. There is documentation of service in Europe, Utah and California. There is even the yearly registration safety check’s from the Utah Highway Patrol from the 1970’s.
    Under my ownership,I have the receipts from some of the Best air cooled Porsche mechanics in Southern California, ANDIAL, Scotts Independent, 911 Design and OMAG Automotive,

Engine:
    In 2006, at 72716 miles, the MFI 2.4 engine was completely rebuilt by Scotts Independent.
    Scotts Independent in Anaheim, California, recently celebrated their 50 years in service of the air cooled Porsche.
    The 2.4 engine had 2.2 S pistons and cylinders installed.
    Ollies Machine Shop performed the following:
    Cylinder heads and valve job. Line bored case to standard, shuffle pins, oil pump modification, rebuild rods, etc.
    Eurometrix rebuilt the throttle bodies and plate all rods
    Pacific Fuel Injection rebuilt the MFI pump
    The oil pump was ported and polished.
    The front fender oil cooler and oil lines were ultrasonically cleaned.
    This Targa does not run hot.

After the rebuild, we had a Dyno Day at Carobu Engineering in Costa Mesa, California.
    We varied the motor from using and not using the stock air cleaner.
    We used the factory Leistritz muffler, megaphones, Dansk, factory sport mufflers.
    With the stock air cleaner and Leistritz muffler, the engine put out 217.3HP and 180.6TQ. This engine keeps pulling.
    Without the air cleaner 224.2HP and 175TQ.
    Megaphones and no air cleaner: 223.2 HP and 178.1 TQ
    All dyno sheets are available.

In 2013, at John Willhoit’s Open House, he had a mobile dyno come to the shop.
    The Targa did 177.9HP at the wheel.
    I have video of the pulls.

I have all the documentation for the above, including a CD of photos of the engine rebuild process.

Under previous ownership, the traditional dual battery was converted to single battery.

Transmission:
    In 1980, 48,386 miles, the transmission was serviced. New sliders and synchros
    In 2020, new shift rod bushings, accelerator rod bushing and the hand throttle was repaired.
    The Targa shifts very smooth..it does leak a 2-3 drops of trans fluid.

Recent service :
    1/2023 at 122,015 miles
    Major service at Scotts Independent including reset of MFI pump and original muffler was finally replaced.

9/2021 at 118718 miles at OMAG Automotive
    Front metal brake lines replaced

4/2021 at 109490 miles at 911 Design
    Four Wheel alignment
    New cap and rotor

4/2021 at 117407 miles at OMAG Automotive
    Rear suspension:
    Rear shocks, trailing arm bushings, sway bar bushing, torsion bar mount, torsion bar bushings, stabilizer bushings
    Michelin XWX 185/70VR 15 tires

8/2019 at 113677 miles at OMAG Automotive
    New windshield, rubber and trim…windshield has PPF film inside and out
    Front suspension:
    Replace bushings, ball joints, sway bar bushings, strut inserts, brake hose, shock mounts, wheel bearings

5/2018 at 107566 miles at Scotts Independent
    CDI box rebuilt

The bad:
    The Targa does have a majority of its original weatherstripping. Some of the weatherstripping along the Targa top and windows and lenses, has cracked. Rear license plate panel seal is cracked.

The passenger side door handle does not lock or unlock with the key. The door has to be locked, unlocked from the inside.
    The drivers side door handle has lost its cover when you insert the key. It does lock and unlock using the key.

The movable door pockets: the original vinyl material is starting to become unglued along the bottom and the chrome strips need to be replaced.

The fuel gauge needle does stick. The sender has been replaced, but after you fill up the tank, the gauge needle does not move until after you drive out of the gas station driveway and hit a bumper 2 before it moves to Full. The needle does accurately move down, no fear of running out of gas.

The binder of receipts and ownership manuals and documentation accompany the sale of the car.

Tool kit and jack are included

I am just about a 25 year member of the Early 911S Registry, Pelican Parts Forum and R Gruppe, and have been a Very active member in the Southern California Porsche Early 911 community. Including this Targa, I have only owned 4 Early 911 S’s over the past 25 years. A Sports Purpose modified 1970 911S, another Sports Purpose modified 1970 911S, this non modified except for the engine, 1972 911 S Targa and a long with the Targa a R Gruppe Sports Purpose modified 1973 911E. I buy these cars to keep and enjoy and plan to never sell. I believe this Targa can be driven as is, anywhere in the country. You can participate in a Drivers Education Day at any track, then driven to dinner that night. Then enter the Wash and Shine Division of any Concours. Then drive back home in the morning. Smiling the entire journey

I am only selling the Targa to help with educational expenses for my 4 year old Grand Nephew. When he was born, I was planning on giving him the car when he turned 18. At 3 years of age he was diagnosed with being in the Autism spectrum. He’ll be needing speech therapy and behavioral therapy and other educational needs as he gets older.

Media:

Porsche Panamera debut: Family Tree, the 60 second commercial
    Driven by ALMS driver Kelly Collins in the commercial

Featured in the Randy Leffingwell book Perfection by Design

Carmel Concours 2nd Place
    Drove the car from Corona Del Mar to Monterey
    Washed it at the self serve car wash the day before and detailed it in the parking lot of the Hyatt Regency Monterey.

San Marino Classic
    3rd Place

2011 and another year
    Greystone Concours
    display

Luftgekhult
    Ganahl Lumber and Universal Studios

Asking $229,000.00
    Please contact me via email
    voicefromthepast@aol.com

Thank you

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

after 21 years, I have many, many more photos available..Ready to go to BaT and use their White Glove Service, offering to S registry members first.

Paint meter reading photos, detailed interior, exterior, documentation binder are available.

the car is located in San Clemente Ca.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ray Crawford
    Early S Registry #271
    R Gruppe #255
    '70 911 S Coupe 2.9 w/MFI Twin Plug "Flairs n Chairs"
    '72 911 S Targa 2.4 w/MFI

Ray,

Hoping you get all the money for this beautiful S. Your effort is an incredibly noble gesture to support your grand nephew and his family.

Peter
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100