Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: License Plate Frame Restoration (chrome)

Jennifer Whitney
    Whitworx Fine Metal Finishing, LLC.
    (479) 824-4446

Well, I was close - their name is Whitney; it's a Mom and Pop plating shop in NW Arkansas. Cost was $80, turnaround was 4 weeks, and it looks really nice. I'll take a picture tomorrow - chrome + reflective plate = bad flash picture.

Sounds like a winner. Await empirical results.

Thanks!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The problem is that the pits in the pot metal require filling with repeated copper plating and then polishing so that in effect, the pits gradually fill with copper. When everything is flush and smooth the nickel and chrome can commence. Therein lies the problem---repeated machine polishing kills the details. If you are up for it, a custom plater will strip and copper strike the piece and you can take your time (lots of it) to hand detail polish the object yourself--then back to the plater for the same routine until its ready to chrome. Unfortunately the repeated copper strikes will muddle the details too. The plater may be able to "mask" the embossed emblems from the copper process--- I have used Verne's Chrome near El Segundo California for decades with great success---talk to Bob Barnes there for the full scoop.
    Jim

I had this plated a couple of months ago - haven't had a chance to age it yet. I think a treatment of sun, soap, and a bit of dirt will help it out

Name:  tag frame 005.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  118.2 KB
    Name:  tag frame 010.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  79.0 KB

Brown . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    . . . had this plated a couple of months ago . . .
    Here's the starting point . . .

. . . as listed in the Aug '68 PDL . .

425/401/1
    Lyod Brown Volkswagen, Inc
    5345 East 41st Street
    Tulsa, OK 74135

Became Southland Volkswagen, at the same address, the following year
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Sihilling . . .

Some samples of Sihilling Metal Polishing's work . . .

These are all pre '56 --- aka Big Frames . . .

Tough to take these pictures . . . the chrome really flares in the flash. Notice the repair on the left-hand vertical to the Beverly Hills Ford Co. frame . . . this was clean break, but it was in an area of cross-hatched details, so it's a bit more visible
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-07-2013 at 06:32 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Sihilling . . .

. . .

Big Frames look/feel somewhat more substantial than the pot-metal stuff I'm in love with. Nevertheless, based on the quality of finish I'm seeing here --- + the sheer artistry . . . I don't think that Sihilling would have any difficulty w/ my Humpty Dumpties

(I'm gonna find out . . . . for myself)

Everything here looks looks/feels/shines like jewelry . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Those were the days. Cleverly executed too! I really like the Tom Sherlock font and color.

Now all I get is a cheap plastic frames or a vinyl sticker.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Bad Frame Restoration

Here's why I shy away from 'restoring' just about anything . . .

Hard-to-get bit, probably in rough-but-not-too condition originally --- now? . . .

What would've been acceptable (to me, anyway) as wear/patina on an original piece . . . gets transformed/magnified into pits/voids/misc garbage --- under a new coat of chrome. + Didn't even try to fix/patch/repair the missing + damaged edge --- just grind-to-suit, looks like

Genuine RWB &Co, too

We Can Be Heroes

[QUOTE=LongRanger;613773]Here's why I shy away from 'restoring' just about anything . . .

Hard-to-get bit, probably in rough-but-not-too condition originally --- now? . . .

That sucks and serves as a good reminder of why original patina is nothing to be shy of...