Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More width out of an RS Flare

More width out of an RS Flare

Guys,

Question about which way to go on getting a bit more width out of an RS Flare.

I am deployed/Afghanistan, and while over here my Porsche shop turned up a pair of 15x9 Fuchs for me, they know I have been after a pair for a while and I jumped on them. Now I know they are not the right offset and my shop told me they would not fit properly under my current RS flares, I am currently running 235/50/15s on 15X8s.

I really want to get the 15X9s under my car. I need a good inch of width to get them under there right, maybe a tad more. What would be the best way to do this? My shop suggested some new RS flares, cut off the old and install new ones and "cheat" them out a bit. Cut off the existing ones, put the tire wheel combo and then fit the new fenders. I am Ok with this, but I hear that a good metal guy can work an existing fender out and get more width.

Which is the best route? Is there anyone in the South East that is good with Porsche metal work that could work the current flares on the car?

I also have a OEM dated 72&73 180 MPH Speedo and 10K tach I would trade towards some new RS flares

Thanks for any help/ideas with this

Jimmy

I would love to see some pointers on this too.

Not sure if this is an option, but could you find 9" rims with a better offset?

I have 15x9 minilights on the back of my 911ST rally car. We started with RS flares and made a semi circular cut from just above the torsion bar hole to just above the tail light. The cut was a few inches back from the flare edge. The outer piece was then pulled outward to widen the flare and a cresentish shaped filler piece welded in to fill the gap. Worked very well.

However, this was before ST flares could be bought. Probably easier now to just slice off the whole flare and weld a ST flare on.

Here are some old pics of my car:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ghlight=samson
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Still think that car was/is OUTSTANDING Ryan......
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-15-2012 at 07:02 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck, very kind of you. I haven't done a rally in a little while and its currently sitting under a car cover looking angry.

Tempted to install some nice seats and turn it back into a (somewhat crazy) road car...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

member #1515
    Why not try some Turbo flairs? What year car?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

It is a 71T that is set up as an RSish hot rod, already have RS flares on it. I am not trying for an ST look or RSR look. I just want a bit wider rear flare to properly get the 15X9 FUCH under there. This will also let me run a 245 Hoosier for any track day I attend.

I will post a pic later, My car is low and stiff, full blown Elephant racing track set up and the 15x8 and 235s are stuffed under the current fender. I love the look of the Fuch 15x9 and want them under there, so I need a good inch+ to get it done.... Just what is the best way to do it.

Thanks,
    Jimmy

Here is the car the way it sits now.

I think it looks good, but just a little wider flare, inch, inch and a half and OEM 15x9s which I am sitting on would look great.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Jimmy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

member #1515
    That car sure looks sweet as is. Are you planning on flaring the fronts too? Just go for RSR flares front and rear. To do what you want the procedure above can be done, but it's much easier and cheaper, to just cut those flares off and weld some wider ones on.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs