Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 28 years with 9113601282

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    I imported several cars during that time period, Mercedes, but could only find one good Porsche to import. I think you got really lucky with that find.

Oh, and the "international" rust is a killer. thanks for sharing your story. Post up some current pics so we can be even more jealous.
    Ok, I was going for the slow reveal but all these forms and paperwork are pretty boring. Here's a photo from last week. An attempt at an "art shot" but I think "art shot" and "smartphone camera" are mutually exclusive, at least for me.

Name:  flowers 3.png
Views: 667
Size:  344.9 KB
    Jeff Jensen

Jeff - what a great story and what a stunning RS. Amazing!!

Please continue with your story and post more pictures please.

Great story Jeff,,,,,,especially dealing with the U.S. bureaucracy, chilling to think of the type people that are gov't workers!! Agree on the art of clutch work, going to attempt to teach my 16 yr old grandaughter. I taught her Mom when she started driving.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by mobius911 View Post
    I hope to pass these skills on to my own kids when they learn to drive. Sadly it's becoming a lost art in the U.S. and that's a real shame. I know PDK and other autostick type gearboxes are faster, and the computer can do a better job of blipping to match the revs, but for me it takes some of the involvement and "connectedness" out of driving.
    Couldn't agree more. I believe that if more people knew how to drive a proper manual gearbox, there would be less dopeyness on the road. It kills me how many people drive way up onto my rear bumper when I'm setting on a hill at a red light or stop sign.

Absolutely loving the story. Your RS is gorgeous. Blutorange is my favorite color on these cars. If only I were old enough to be able to be involved in this process back then.

Beautiful car!

I find this story fascinating because it gives a firsthand history of what you really had to go through at that time to import a car. It started me thinking about the beauty of the internet -- where are you able to get this kind of writing but on the internet? Maybe a magazine article? Probably not because it is 28 years later and the subject is, well, a bit esoteric. Thank you, Jeff for taking the time and presenting this to us so well!
    Last edited by uptheorg; 08-16-2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote Originally Posted by mobius911 View Post
    Somewhere around 1998 my car was old enough that it no longer had any emission requirements so I was able to register it.
    A reminder that patience is a virtue. Before my car aged-out in California, I remember all the hassles I went through to smog my car as well in California. Loving this story!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Brings back great memories, I also bought my first Porsche in 1984, a 1978 911SC. I didnt have the knowledge or foresight to buy an RS. But I drove that car 8 years and sold it for what I paid for it because of all the things you describe. Great that you still have your car 28 years later! Thanks for sharing your story. Kent

Quote Originally Posted by uptheorg View Post
    I find this story fascinating because it gives a firsthand history of what you really had to go through at that time to import a car. It started me thinking about the beauty of the internet -- where are you able to get this kind of writing but on the internet? Maybe a magazine article? Probably not because it is 28 years later and the subject is, well, a bit esoteric. Thank you, Jeff for taking the time and presenting this to us so well!
    Thanks! I thought this group might find this interesting because this is how so many of the rare early cars made it over here, and we live for the esoteric!
    Last edited by mobius911; 08-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAW View Post
    Brings back great memories, I also bought my first Porsche in 1984, a 1978 911SC. I didnt have the knowledge or foresight to buy an RS. But I drove that car 8 years and sold it for what I paid for it because of all the things you describe. Great that you still have your car 28 years later! Thanks for sharing your story. Kent
    You went with the other good strategy- buy the newest car that still qualifies for the EPA exemption. People were questioning whether I really wanted to bring over such an "old" car. I laugh now, but at the time a car that was 11 years old was considered a real dinosaur. It takes time for the cars to earn "classic" status, and that hadn't happened yet. And don't feel bad about not knowing much about the RS; that was true of pretty much everybody at the time.
    Jeff Jensen