Thread: Hot rod/resto mod direction -- where is the market going?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hot rod/resto mod direction -- where is the market going?

I've been commissioned to build a lightweight LWB with modern powerplant (I'm favoring the 3.2, since I've built a few this way in the past, and love how easy the engine is to live with). I have carte blanche on the build. This is a profit-making venture, as I have consistently been able to build these cars for well under market value.

In the past, I've built narrow hot rods and RS-look hot rods. I built my last RS-look about 6 years ago, when the common wisdom was that RS-look was played out. About 4 years ago, ST looks became popular. And now, a lot of the components to build them are on the shelf (saw steel ST flares & a spectacular repro alu engine lid at TRE earlier this week).

So now I have three alternatives: narrow -- meaning there's a maximum of 7" wheel width to corral 200+HP -- RS flares or ST flares. (This is also a financial progression.) I haven't been following sales of ST 'tribute' cars, so I'm unsure of whether the market will return the extra $9-10K it costs to build one.

Opinions? (And for you purists, I'm starting with rollers/abandoned projects. No numbers-matching donors.)
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Well I think there is some fashion to the hot rod builds, seemed to progress from RS's to RSR's to ST to R's but anymore who the hell know's. I'd say pick a style and do the details right and everything else takes care of itself.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

ST's have to be done just right...otherwise they just don't look right. A narrow hot rod can be worth just as much and cost less to build. Wheels and tires are cheaper, not to mention Flares, bumpers etc....

I'm doing two cars with modified RS flares so I can run wider wheels and still have the look of a hot rod RS. Tires are cheap and it has that retro rod look that somehow passes with the critics among us.

Build what you heart tells you...thats how my cars evolve.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I'm of the opinion that hot rod fads come and go, but the tasteful sleeper is always in fashion.
    Terrence Dorsey

Quote Originally Posted by tpdorsey View Post
    I'm of the opinion that hot rod fads come and go, but the tasteful sleeper is always in fashion.
    Agree completely. Some of the "Sport Purpose" executions have started to remind me of the kids in the japanese "tuner" cars. Too many affectations. Less is more, Restraint.
    Rant over.
    50/50

The next big trend will be doing less. We'll still do all of the performance stuff but the flares will be missing. I think we may have even reached the limit with the Minilites on the rear.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 50/50 View Post
    Agree completely. Some of the "Sport Purpose" executions have started to remind me of the kids in the japanese "tuner" cars. Too many affectations. Less is more, Restraint.
    Rant over.
    50/50
    I'm getting that sense, as well. "Fashion" dictates that the ST flares need to be filled more aggressively -- with bigger wheels/tires than as used in '71/72. So then it becomes more of a 'tribute' or evolution.

One of the coolest restomods I've seen in the past 5 years was an Irish Green '70 sunroof coupe that was completely stock appearing except for the 2 large exhaust pipes. A shop in Signal Hill had installed a 3.6 Varioram in it. Total sleeper -- until it started up. Very aggressive exhaust sound. Blew me away. My only concern was that putting, say, 250HP to the rear 15 X 6" was a bit much for the rubber and overall handling balance...
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute