Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The New CLS 63 AMG Shooting Brake

Mid 20's are not an issue. Good luck!
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

We recently picked up an e39 540iT to replace our T-boned e46 325iT. I'm a big fan of the BMW wagons. The 3-er was fine, but our growing family was quickly outgrowing it. I like the space, the leather, the memory seats and the big V8. The MPG... not so much. It would be better if I could stop stomping on the gas pedal.

Another nice feature of both e39 and e46 is that they're new enough to be reliable and well-supported with parts and service, but old enough to be relatively unburdened by shadetree mechanic-proof electronics.

It's interesting to me that the e39 and e46 designs are credited to two different designers -- Joji Nagashima and Erik Goplen, respectively, working under two different heads of design, Claus Luthe and Chris Bangle, in different design offices -- and yet are really coherent designs that both translated naturally into the wagon shape. Most wagons end up looking like afterthoughts. Very few have a coherence that relates both to the parent coupe/sedan shape and holds its own as a wagon. Mid-'60s Ford Falcons did this well, too. Not many others IMHO.
    Terrence Dorsey

I drive an S6 avant as my winter beater, if has been a good car, very nice to drive. The V8 is great for passing on the all two lane mountian highway I find myself on. All the bikes and skis etc end up on the roof. The only thing it won't do is tow so I'm thinking I've got a Cayenne turbo in my future.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Quote Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
    The only thing it won't do is tow so I'm thinking I've got a Cayenne turbo in my future.
    Phil
    My semi repaired and somewhat accurate crystal ball sees a diesel truck in your future. They CAN tow.
    Crew cab gives 4-5 seating positions and an ARE bed cover keeps things dry. Mount a bed slide and getting cargo in and out
    is as easy as apple pie.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Tom if I could just talk my wife into driving one, maybe we need to get some horses.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

Man oh man! The dually with a crew cab and 8 foot bed (necessary for the gooseneck 5th wheel trailer) rides like a Cadillac. And I guarantee she will own the road.
    Drives just like a car only bigger.
    The only information that she needs to program into the driving skill set is NOT TO CUT CORNERS. Swing wider and the rear fenders will stay on a lot longer. I've never had a problem myself but I've seen folks knock them off.

Go for the 450! It's got bigger flares on the front!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Trust me I wouldn't have a standing garage after one week of my wife driving that beast but folks in Montana would finally understand that "we've arrived"
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658