Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana Point - July 15th

http://www.lagunacliffs.com/

The Laguna Cliffs marriott is the host hotel. Very nice, but no St. Regis...
    Various Porsche's

Thanks so much !

billh

It is with both sadness and excitement that I will be in attendance this weekend.

Sad I'm not going to pick up our new car ... excited that I'm not going to have to miss another AWESOME Dana Point Concours. I love this event so much!

Bringing my ugly duckling to add some contrast to all the shiny photos.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Any photots ?
    Unfortunately I couldn't be there

wsh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    It is with both sadness and excitement that I will be in attendance this weekend. I love this event so much!
    I pretty much feel the same way, but damn, this event just keeps getting better & better. The interminably long drive & L.A. freeways provide plenty of sadness alright, but the Concours, the venue on Lantern Park adjacent to the Marriot Hotel and the great bunch of the usual Porsche suspects in both, human and automotive incarnations, all see to it that the good always outweighs the bad............by a large margin. Finding rock-star parking in the shade and encountering the Dunkels '62 Carrera 2 ( photos #1 & #2 ) as the first car of interest while walking to the Concours field portended great things. A tantalizing glimpse of the well-organized and sensibly arranged Concourse field in the early morning mist and overcast, (photo #3 ) and a gathering of the judges with master 356 restorer John Wilhoit issuing final instructions to ensure fair and objective judging ( photo #4 ). A 911 in glorious Olive heading for the Display-only 911 area.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

The Dana Point Concours D'Elegance is organized by the Sou. Cal 356 Club with Joe Nedza the event Chairman for this year and took place on Sunday, July 15th, '12. An exceptional group of 356s of all types, models and ages were in attendance this year with numerous new cars that had not been seen before, but also some of the old standbys well represented.

Photo #1 shows a brilliant yellow Benton Performance built '62 356 B Coupe, a two time Carrera Panamericana entrant ( '09 & '10 ).
    Photo #2 a slate gray 356 with small fender-mounted Hella accessory lights used as euro-style side turn-signal indicators.
    Photo #3, class-winning Iridium Green Carrera with original 4-cam roller-bearing engine, one of 16 built in MY '59, but the only one in this color.
    Photo #4 - a '58 Enzmann 506, a Swiss coach-built, VW-pan based, 1500cc Porsche 4-cylinder powered limited production, fiberglass bodied 2 seater. 88 units were built between '57 to '65. This is Serial #-007, one of only 2 known to be in the US, and one of two with a rear-hinged motor cover.
    Photo #5, a beautifully detailed Dean Polopolus "Polo" motor in a 356 Outlaw.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-17-2012 at 08:35 PM.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

This being the Early 911 S Registry, I imagine the bulk of the interest here will be 911 centered, so lets get to that portion of the event.

Photo #1 - interesting use of color accents on a "shorthood" 911
    Photo #2 - '67 912 Sunroof coupe - can't recall ever having seen another one, but the owner has a CoA stating the factory delivered it that way. The repaint was supposed to be in the original Slate Gray but turned out quite a bit lighter....... much to its great benefit I think.
    Photo #3 - there's just something about the warm glow of a clean Tangerine Orange 911 that looks so very good in the subdued early morning overcast.
    Photos #4 & #5 -overviews of the 911 paddock
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-17-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Photos #1, #2 & #3 - One of the more well-known 911s in the Sou. Ca. region is Ray Crawford's black '70 911S with its red leather interior and Andial-built twin plug motor and air-conditioning.
    Photo #4 - the ever present Magnus W. with one of his collection's mainstays
    Photo #5 - the first time I've seen Rolly's 911 with its modified engine lid............there's far more work that went into that seemingly simple modification than first meets the eye.

A one-owner '73 911T in the rare color of Ivory, purchased from Vasek Polak Porsche through Bert Ohlander in July '73. The car suffered a minor accident in its youth, but the two affected panels were spot blended so expertly that no evidence of the minor repaint is noticeable. Other than that the car is entirely original, matching numbers with approx. 110K miles on the clock, and includes a complete set of books and papers, including German-language instruction manuals for all the factory options including the power-windows and air-conditioning. Original spare wheel and tire.

A real time capsule..........and a very enjoyable driver.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 07-19-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Great photos, John.

One thing, though, that 356 Outlaw is definitely not running a Polo motor ... it's more likely a Type-IV cased thumper with a FAT Performance fan shroud.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687