Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '61 23-window . . .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Came from the same place, Rick... missed my first bus as soon as it was sold. As a young designer I needed less controversial wheels for the corporate parking lot though: it was 1981, the place swarmed with Mercs and Bimmers. Ten years later, took my time until I found The One... paid more than anyone thought was rational back then, but it has been true blue and I couldn't replace it for 15 times what we took it home for. I drive it every day... my dog thinks it's a living thing and takes every opportunity to sit or sleep in it. They are simply, elegantly manufactured... and if something gets bent or broken, it can be fixed as simply as it was made... or quickly replaced.
    If only 911 parts were as cheap and easy to get. 48 years old... it's still practical, serviceable, smile producing transportation.

Honestly, that it's "value" is headed towards 6 figures doesn't register. I can't put a number on something that's so much fun to own.

Bulli Brigade 2009 045.jpg
    Last edited by Bullethead; 06-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Well it's not a 23 but hopefully a sweet 11 window will be mine in an hour or so!
    Pics to follow.......
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

I guess the one for $89.5K is a relative deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...19181533#v4-37

Slightly more affordable...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bus-v...item1e6f8fefa0
    Last edited by 72targa; 06-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Freshly purchased and loving it!

Only 11 windows though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Attachment 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam Arnott View Post
    Freshly purchased and loving it!

Only 11 windows though
    Nice!!

Here's my 21-Window Microbus Deluxe I foolishly sold(ashamed of what I let it go for knowing how much these go for now!)
    VW21W4.JPG
    1993 964 C2 GPW
    1973 BMW 2002 Verona (Daily)
    1974 914 2.0 Project A/X (in progress)
    1972 911T 2.4 Webers - SOLD
    89 BMW M3 Lachs - my former DD - SOLD
    https://youtu.be/QrF6VEVh1NQ

My 21 window as found near San Diego after a loooooong slumber tucked away in a garage. Still original paint (titian red) and I plan to just keep whatever is left of the paint and carefully reassemble it. The paintless dent removal guy already had a field day with it - but it came out great. I like 'patina'. Those of you who know my 356 know what look I am after.

~J~
    air cooled only

Here's another 23-window, again on eBay . . .

(Not mine)

. . . Offering an exceptional car for an exceptional person, the "big league" of Volkswagen collecting.

1959 marked the beginning of the new, more robust bumpers. The bumpers which preceded these were merely pressed thin gauge steel with no over riders to protect the body. The 1959 model year also changed the color on deluxe buses to the very striking beige grey over sealing wax red.

This is an original 1959 "23 window or samba bus" not a hacked up imposter nor a rusty remain. This bus still wears all of its original floors, rocker panels, and even the always deteriorated battery tray. It sat in a garage unrestored for many years.

The bus was finally rescued from the dry storage and became the object of a serious restoration focus. It was stripped completely and was somehow incredibly rust free. The cargo floors did show a very minute and insignificant amount of pinholes, the choice was made to not cut and paste but to accept the very minor imperfections. This was the only rust found on the original body. The doors are original to the bus.

The paint on this bus is absolutely amazing, very straight and tidy. This bus came from the factory with the very rare ambulance fan, the rare 2/3 middle seat arrangement and all 6 pop out windows. We installed new safaris windows during restoration because it just seemed a no brainer.

The engine chosen was a blueprinted and balanced 1600 dual port motor fitted with 36mm dellorto IDA carburetors and header exhaust. It has plenty of power and its just a blast to drive. The bus is stored in a climate controlled workshop. It has surprisingly never left any oil drips which is very unlike an air-cooled vw.

The original 6 volt electrical system was upgraded to the more modern 12 volt system. Even a Optima battery was used.

The ride is actually very comfortable, and the bus was lowered by the most modern techniques and equipment available today. The front spindles are stock units dropped correctly. The rear end has a 1968 beetle transaxle mounted with dropped and stepped spring plates. What is so nice about this arrangement is the ride is bettered by the loss of the stock reduction boxes and the amount of actual spring plate travel hasn't been compromised.

This bus can run right along with modern day traffic. All "5" wheels were repainted and the tires all are matching making for perfect rotation maintenance. The restoration took place several years ago and it has never suffered a mechanical breakdown nor has the finish shown any deterioration, which is yet another testament to this high level restoration effort.

While the later model "21 windows" and early 1960s "23 window" buses show up often, the early models have become incredibly hard to source. As a result, these early model deluxe buses have become rightfully coveted . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_1568wt_1167

I remember when a few of these things started hitting $40k, a few years back, 'n thinking Wt#. There's more to life than horsepower, I guess, but still --- Buses are so . . . . different. Style, layout . . . pace

Then, seeing that dream-boat 23-window clear $200k, last year at BJOC . . . I think a lot of people woke up to the charms of these cars. I crawled all over BJOC's 23 . . . and I'm still smiling . . .

. . . but not as much + big as Russ and Cam, I bet . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Cutty Sark Samba 1.jpg

Figured you wouldn't be able to resist this one, Rick! Not sure how many of 'em Cutty Sark had in the fleet, but this is at least the third different bus offered in the last 3-4 years. It's got some rust but worth the effort... the best was in Washington ($12K IIRC), almost no rot at all.

EDIT: This bus is now on BaT generating a bit of yak... Everett B. (of the Samba) posted that there's just ONE Cutty Sark bus. I have no reason to doubt him, but it's weird this thing has changed hands a few times, along with notable details like bumpers and wheels... which is why I thought there was more than one. My bad.
    Last edited by Bullethead; 07-14-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I will be picking up my first VW bus next week. It is a 1974 that was bought new by my wife's grandfather and has been at his farm ever since, still has it's original paint, original engine and (very deteriorated) original interior. The grandfather passed away a few years ago and my father in law has decided to sell the bus....and I decided I should buy it.

It needs quite a bit of work, but expect it to be great fun.
    Henry

Another 23 . . .

. . . on The Samba . . .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1317261

. . . 1963 Volkswagen 23 Window Deluxe Walk Thru - Price $80,000

Here's a late 1963 23 window deluxe ( titled as a 1964 - VIN 1080421) that I've owned for over 20 years. This is an older restoration, not over restoration, completed about 10 years ago and built as a driver, not a show car. It's nice enough to enter in a show but more fun to drive than to wipe down with baby diapers.
    Approx. 3000 miles have been put on it since completed.

The bus came with multiple factory accessories. M Codes include locking steering column, ambulance fans, and short walk thru middle seat.
    Other items that come with the bus include original Westfalia Roof rack with factory tags and clamps, aluminum side step with closed ends, original VW safari windows ( pulled these out of a bus in Guatemala myself), original VW safari wiper shafts, genuine bus trip speedometer, vintage Cibie Bobi H4 headlights, non dished Empi GT steering wheel, original Econo license plate frame, Gene Berg shifter, 12v clock, and vintage gilmer belt drive pulleys.

This bus is an original 23 window, not pieced together from different busses . It had very little rust when purchased and has never been in any severe wrecks. The only panels replaced were the battery tray and cargo door rocker. Any pin holes were welded up, or cut out and patched.
    All the body work was done by a professional with years of split bus experience.

Paint is 2 stage Spies Heckler in factory beige gray over sealing wax red. The paint quality is excellent but over the years it has suffered some minor scratches, chips and nicks. Both bumpers have seen some scratches and dings from being lowered but nothing distracting. The worst issue is a length of chipped paint along the drip rails where I slid the roof rack back without taking the clamps off. Yea...I know....

It has been lowered with a 2 inch narrowed Wagons West front beam and early Type 3 components on the rear. It has KYB shocks on all four corners and Flat Four reproduction Sprint stars.
    Nothing permanent has been done to the body or suspension, so bringing it back up to stock height should be straighforward.

The interior is a West Coast Classic kit with a Stayfast canvas top. The materials are first class but I'm not happy with the way the way the sunroof came out due to my skill level. It doesn't leak and looks / works okay but it's not perfect.

The engine is a stock 1600 dual port with dual 40mm Dellortos, 010 distributor, straight cut cam gears, dog house oil cooler, alternator, and a vintage gilmer belt set up with a modern belt tensioner.

This bus runs and drives and everything works as it should except the gas gauge which quit this winter while in storage. :-(

I just noticed I didn't get a photo of the front splash pan installed. It's there and included with the bus.

This bus looks as good in person as it does in the photos. It's located in Dallas, approx 4 hours from the port city of Houston.

There are lots of images here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikem_p...7630031818565/

I'm sorry but I'm not interested in any trades, partial trades or layaway.

Jeff Keller
    jk1966@aol.com
    214 497 9366 Central Standard time . . .

(Veritable cornucopia)

(Not etc)

We Can Be Heroes