Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '61 23-window . . .

'61 23-window . . .

. . . on eBay . . .

. . . Beautiful, stock, very complete, and fully turnkey 23 Window in original Sealing Wax Red and Light Beige Grey paint. This is another one that will suit the original condition lovers, preservationists, and patina crowd. If you look at this Bus and are thinking "hmm, great looking base Bus for restoration", you'll need to move along as your intentions are to the detriment of how well this Bus has survived the last 51 years. Plainly and simply, Buses like this don't show up often any more and preserving its original beauty ought to be the unspoken reflex of any potential buyer.

The 23 Window Microbus Deluxe Sunroof was purchased new at the Nathan B. Tucker Volkswagen dealership in Beverly, Massachusetts by Mr. Cornelius Crane and his family. The original Tucker dealership shift pattern decal still attached on the dash! The family used it on their nearby estate on Choate Island for many years. The Bus wasn't driven many miles and at some point it was essentially retired from service and was parked under a shelter out of the elements. Years later Mr. Crane passed away. The Bus was sold out of the estate to an East Coast collector. Years later it was discovered and put in the hands of the proper custodian collector since leaving the original family's ownership.

The body is displaying the vast majority of the original Sealing Wax Red and Light Beige Grey paint. Extremely straight, has a great mild-patina appearance. The Bus easily to be enjoyed just as it is. It deserves high quality repairs to bring it to its full potential as a phenomenal survivor. Other details to note include that the Bus has all of the correct doors, apron, decklid, slash cut Deluxe bumpers with trim, all the original match dated wheels, date matched Deluxe trim rings, and batch code matched hubcaps! How often do you see an early Deluxe with those details any more?

The interior is probably the highlight of the Bus. Original, complete, and looking great from front to rear! All 3 original bench seats are still wearing their original upholstery. Some of the stitching is letting loose in the normal fashion. If purchased we will restitch the original to perfection for an extra charge. Both original seat kick panels are still intact. Incredible survivor. The mohair headliner is mindblowingly still intact, showing some age and typical "tea staining" but it's holding up incredibly well for the 51 years. The original Basalt Grey interior panels exceptional never cleaned to their utmost potential. The dash is beautiful, glossy, and is still in the original Sealing Wax Red paint. Even the original radio blockoff plate, Deluxe chrome ashtray, early Deluxe grab handle with the chrome ends, and two original VW headed keys are still with the Bus! Other details to note include all 3 original Deluxe aluminum coat hooks, correct original early ribbed Golde sunroof handle, short spoon popout window latches, the arm rests, both original floor mats in nice shape, seat mounting hardware including the cups, the original Deluxe rear luggage shelf carpeting, the previously mentioned original Tucker Volkswagen dealership shift pattern decal on the dash, and the almost always missing original parcel tray liner still holding strong, too! The more you look inside this Bus, the more it will impress with its completeness, cleanliness, and supreme originality!

Mechanically it is fully turnkey, drives nicely, and is largely stock with a stale air 40hp engine, fully synchronized reduction box transaxle, and the electrical system remains factory 6 volt as well. The engine was replaced early on for some reason as the Bus dates to mid 1961. The engine is about 6 months newer from early 1962. Other mechanical details include the nearly brand new Firestone 6.40-15 bias ply tires and the Bus was professionally serviced not many miles ago, too . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volks...191a507d#v4-37

Damage = $89.5k (BiN)

(Not mine)

We Can Be Heroes

That's a beauty alright,,,,,but $89,000 worth? Would love to know what it does eventually sell for.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Those deathmobile, slow rattletraps have hit the stratosphere for pricing now!

Actually, I like split window busses and would like to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    . . . That's a beauty alright,,,,,but $89,000 worth? Would love to know what it does eventually sell for . . .
    Hey, Ed . . .

In the wonderful/wacky world of air-cooled, 23-windows are just about gold. See post #8 . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...arrett-jackson

. . . then, have a seat, pour yourself a strong one . . . . an' take look at post #11

And remember --- that $89k one still needs some serious work

Last edited by LongRanger; 06-28-2012 at 07:26 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

I still haven't gotten used to it... good original splitties are crazy prices anymore, with patina (beat/rusty) considered a bonus. Repainted my 21 Deluxe in '97, the OG finish was almost as good as that '61 but I stupidly figured fresh paint was a good idea on an otherwise rust-free, unrestored car. Who knew? Truth is, early buses are just like early 911s, with demand to match.

Here's a '54 barndoor offering... ever so gently aged, yours for just $32,500

4311432.jpg4311433.jpg4311437.jpg4311439.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1291125
    Last edited by Bullethead; 06-28-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Oh mi gawd !! $217,000 !!! I've had several of these (none that nice that's for sure) from a 58 to a 64 Westy. I put a 356 engine in the Westy, now we're talking! Hills, no problemo!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    . . . still haven't gotten used to it... good original splitties are crazy prices anymore, with patina (beat/rusty) considered a bonus . . . Here's a '54 barndoor offering... ever so gently aged, yours for just $32,500 . . .
    Like Porsche, I came from Volkswagen

Seeing + using + fixing my VWs --- Type I and III --- gave me a lasting appreciation for thoughtful + thrifty engineering. There's nothing like the light + tactile feel of these old German cars. And as strong and durable as these devices are? . . . . they are still so very fragile. Thin metal. Light castings. Delicate plastic + pressboard + vinyl nothings that crumble with mis-handling. Hit something, break/bend something, let something rot? . . . . after 50+ years, the bits are gold

Looking at that barndoor . . . all the sheet metal that needs straightening + smoothing . . . and do '54s still have the glass tail lights? And the work this truck will take . . . . boggles

And people do it

And someday, maybe --- like the Guy who built/sold that 23-window at BJOC's last year . . . someone will pay 'em for it

We Can Be Heroes

Came from the same place, Rick... missed my first bus as soon as it was sold. As a young designer I needed less controversial wheels for the corporate parking lot though: it was 1981, the place swarmed with Mercs and Bimmers. Ten years later, took my time until I found The One... paid more than anyone thought was rational back then, but it has been true blue and I couldn't replace it for 15 times what we took it home for. I drive it every day... my dog thinks it's a living thing and takes every opportunity to sit or sleep in it. They are simply, elegantly manufactured... and if something gets bent or broken, it can be fixed as simply as it was made... or quickly replaced.
    If only 911 parts were as cheap and easy to get. 48 years old... it's still practical, serviceable, smile producing transportation.

Honestly, that it's "value" is headed towards 6 figures doesn't register. I can't put a number on something that's so much fun to own.

Bulli Brigade 2009 045.jpg
    Last edited by Bullethead; 06-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Well it's not a 23 but hopefully a sweet 11 window will be mine in an hour or so!
    Pics to follow.......
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

I guess the one for $89.5K is a relative deal...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...19181533#v4-37

Slightly more affordable...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/bus-v...item1e6f8fefa0
    Last edited by 72targa; 06-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100