Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to look at a fantastic 1973 911S tomorrow. Need a bit of advice.

And for anyone counting, June 13th was 5 years.

What is the current consensus on the best engine bay stickers? Aase? Allen? Sweden? Other?

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

'70-'73 911, Fig 1-04-20, #35 900.187.010.02 Tapping screw, BZ 6,3x1, 911S Qty: 3

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
    '70-'73 911, Fig 1-04-20, #35 900.187.010.02 Tapping screw, BZ 6,3x1, 911S Qty: 3
    Correct! Should be a hex head (DIN 7976). Well done. Allen head screws were a placeholder while the originals were being plated.

Ravi

Doesn't look like you have the rubber sleeves over the oil lines,,,,or are they there but not easily visible? All looks very nice however!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Also correct. Since it was just a dry fitting, they aren't on yet either.

Ravi

This was a timely note. I sent him pictures of the car on the weekend, but again, have heard nothing back. It's very odd. Every other previous owner responded within a few hours. Not one of them ever knew the car was white (though there was some white in the engine bay). The original Canadian registration was for a black car, so our pastor friend or his dad must have done the colour changeover after one of the many accidents. In fact many colour changeovers, prior to black.

The car has been in Ontario for decades. Hard to imagine he was worried about litigation. But I suspect there is a story there. This car seems to have many, starting its Canadian life after a chop shop bust by Peel Region police.

Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    . . . I keep forgetting how helpful people have been here. I have thousands of dollars of bits and pieces to return my car to original thanks to people on this forum. Not all public forums are as helpful. But I do remember my introduction here, where 69S-S/R claimed to have bought the car out from under me. So I just never know when you guys are kidding. Someday when I meet you all...beers will be imbibed and stories will be told. I look forward to it . . .

.................................................. ..........

We Can Be Heroes

Another month, another $10k. Down to the last bits and pieces. In some ways it was nice when nothing happened for a few years, because it cost me nothing too!

A big shout out to Buz at Seattle Speedometer. 3 day turnaround on replacing the busted electronics in my tach, calibrating, polishing the glass and redoing the trim ring. Both Palo Alto and North Hollywood quoted me 6 weeks.

This month's orders included things like the handbrake boot from Eric Linden, lots of hoses, sway bar and drop link bushings, wheel lugs, a Partsklassik 3-pin CDI box, a Porsche muffler (not shown) and SSI (i.e. JP Group who also sell under Dansk) MFI exchangers. The SSIs are a matte stainless.

It's interesting to see how parts vary. I ordered a handbrake boot from Stoddard just before I found Eric's. Stoddard sells the Porsche one, but it's not quite the same as original. Bulkier, with some extra mouldings. Probably correct for the impact bumper cars I guess. Eric's is correct for LWB. Similarly, I ordered a Porsche trunk light from Stoddard and it too is different than original. Both are Hella, but the lamp bracket is subtly different and the new one has two lugs for the wires, while the original has only one. I did find a nice used one on this forum. It's hard to tell the differences in the pictures on most web sites. It's only when you have something in hand that you can see the subtleties.

There is a beautiful repop rear quarter window latch from Carpoint. But it too is subtly different in the curve of the rib that attaches to the triangle than the original. So I found some originals on the Bird that I will rechrome. Again, something you can't tell from pictures, but when you see it and run your hands over it, you can tell the difference.

I'm trying hard to stay original, or OEM or authentic reproductions. The body plugs that go in the door frames for example. Some places sell flat surfaced plugs, but Stoddard actually sells correct repops with the concentric circles. On the other hand, they sell bleeder screw caps that are incorrect for the front callipers but they sell rear bleeder screws with the correct ATE rubber caps. It's all very frustrating and yet fascinating. Remarkably, I've only had to send a handful of parts back over many years.

For some things, I've gone modern. Like an original CDI box, with modern electronics hidden in it. Or the 321 stainless steel heat exchangers that will be powder coated to match the muffler. Those seem like out of sight decisions that will aid reliability and longevity.

Ravi

Name:  IMG_2341.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  78.4 KBName:  IMG_2343.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  125.7 KBName:  IMG_2342.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  93.2 KB
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Another example of old and new. Original red Stritone trumpets, grafted on to modern electromechanical backends. The modern black bits differ externally in 3 ways. They come with Philips head screws instead of slotted ones (easily remedied). The rivets that hold the two electromagnets in place are slightly different (they present as flat with less of a profile than the originals) and they have some subtle parts number lettering on them that can be removed with acetone.

Ravi

Name:  IMG_2344.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  119.8 KB

Still to be hunted down. Proper engine compartment labels. Any suggestions? Nothing seems quite right. This is a Feb 1973 car. So it should be Porsche KG I believe?

Ravi

EDIT. Looked at the door sticker. It is KG.