Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mystery shell weight specifications

I should say the 20 pounds was just a guess at the number, I did not look up the thread again. So do not credit Curt with wrong info.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by glaverbel911 View Post
    Hello.
    Very interesting chassis and a nice find. Congratulations.
    Its obviously one of the 73' spare replacement body's but i doubt thin metal just from the fact it has a short trailing arm torsion tube. These were installed already after thin metal supply was depleted. But it does have the race belt mounts in the longitudinals so it is a spare RS-RSR body. The body metal appears very beaten and rusted and weight will be inaccurate from original .. Measuring edges that were press formed will give you a inaccurate measurement. Especially with a vernier.
    Your door is just a standard replacement without sound pad.. Any early door is light compared to an SC or even an I-beam 73' spec doors. A thin metal door weighs in at 10.5 kg and has special features which are missing on yours.
    There was about an average 12% weight saving on the thinner gauged steel used.. certainly much more savings than 20lbs , I think Curt made a mistake there !!!! Overall, a first-second series M472 trimmed out is min. conservative 200lbs lighter from lack of under-coat, thinner metal and thinner glass plus a few other goodies.. and a M471 minus all the trim over 100 less again. .
    A front LW hood is approx 29.5 lbs(first & second series ). It could often be 8lbs less alone over varying standard thickness hoods.. I've seen standard hoods weighing bare at 35-38lbs.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Regardless if its standard or thinner, its still a cool chassis.

Regards, Robert.

Very inetresting, the door I have weights 11.2 Kg, I also have a SC door that has a security bar inside that weights with handle 17.8 kg it has the wiring but not the motor or the frame, , would you mind to explain wich are the special features which are missing on the door or if you can edit a photo of what a RS-RSR door should be?

In fact the shell its very beaten and needs surely ligth re-jig and lots of hours to bring it to a decent shape, is one more of the signs that the shell belongs to Ramon Pich car in my opinion because this was a gravel rally car that comonly were severely punished, you seem to be an expert do you know the weigth when new of a 911 bare shell RS ligthweight specification?

I did meassure the steel thickness with a vernier and also with a micrometer, with both figure was 0.8, but has you stated shell is very beaten.

Thanks for your opinion it has been very helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by pacorron View Post
    Very inetresting, the door I have weights 11.2 Kg, I also have a SC door that has a security bar inside that weights with handle 17.8 kg it has the wiring but not the motor or the frame, , would you mind to explain wich are the special features which are missing on the door or if you can edit a photo of what a RS-RSR door should be?

In fact the shell its very beaten and needs surely ligth re-jig and lots of hours to bring it to a decent shape, is one more of the signs that the shell belongs to Ramon Pich car in my opinion because this was a gravel rally car that comonly were severely punished, you seem to be an expert do you know the weigth when new of a 911 bare shell RS ligthweight specification?

I did meassure the steel thickness with a vernier and also with a micrometer, with both figure was 0.8, but has you stated shell is very beaten.

Thanks for your opinion it has been very helpfull.
    I have weigth the doors with the hinges, when you refer to 10.5 kg does you mean with or without hinges, because I wonder hinge would be arround 250 grams each so it would be 10.7 instead of 10.5 more close to the RS door, I´m not saying mine are I just want to make a ligther car as possible, a friend of mine told me Porsche 911 (954 internal code) SC-RS where also ligweight shell can anyone confirm this?

pacorron ,

SCRS doors , fenders , and bonnet (hood) , were made of alloy. I'm not sure if the whole door shell was alloy , or just the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    pacorron ,

SCRS doors , fenders , and bonnet (hood) , were made of alloy. I'm not sure if the whole door shell was alloy , or just the skin.
    yes Peekaboo but front and rear fenders? or only front, I belive SC RS was made using most of 930 parts I don´t know were I found but I have this text at my computer, unfortunatly its the worsts treated RS breed porsche ever because there is almost no info in the net about this magnificent car, even Jonh Starkey did not mentioned in his book and in my opinion has the same right to be there like the rest, all the fame 911 has today starts in rally events and this has been almost forgoten this 954 type its the example that Porsche was not only a factory that think in track car as well rally cars here attached the text

Porsche 911 SC/RS
    Porsche produced in 1983 a racing version of the 911 SC : the SC/RS. To homologuate it, 20 exemplars had to be produced. 5 get to Rothmans for racing and the 15 others were sold as street version.
    The 911 SC/RS is mainly based on the 930 and particularly on its body and chassis. Indeed, it retakes the wide body, the wheels, the tyres, the brakes and the suspensions of the 911 turbo. In fact, the servobrake wasn't utilized but the braking power was adjustable between front and rear sets. The street legal car is just fitted with larger torsion bars : 22 mm front and 27.5 mm rear ( instead of 19 mm and 26 mm respectively).
    To lighten the car, the measures used on the RS and RSR models were applied : no more rear seats, soundproofing materials nor heating system (replaced by a heating system feed by fuel on street version) , utilisation of thin glass on all glasses, aluminium on body pannels (front and rear lid, doors and front wings), fiberglass on front and rear bumpers. Of course, the interior was treated as well with the installation of light bucket seats, removal of the watch, thin door panels opened by a simple strip and no electric equipment at all. With all these actions, the 911 only weight 980 kg.
    The engine was of course an evolution of the SC 3.0 and retake its dimension. Nevertheless, the engine received large modifications in racing views. The K-Jetronic mechanical injection has been replaced by a six pistons Kugelfisher pump. The compression ratio has been raised from 9.8:1 to 10.3:1 with the utilisation of new forged pistons. New overhead camshafts and valve settings ensure a great rev rising. As a result, the engine type 930/18 developped 255 hp @ 7,000 rpm and 26 mkg @ 6,500 rpm with the street legal exhaust system. On street version, the engine received an air pump, like on the 911 SC model to improve the quality of exhausted gas. The oil cooler of the 911, positionned in the front right wing was enlarged and placed in the front spoiler. The gearbox type 915 also receive an additionnal oil cooler (as on the Carrera 3.2) to support the important torque developped by the engine. The gearbox ratios were different than standard ones, and come as specified in the following table :
    Gear Ratio
    1st 3.18:1
    2nd 2.00:1
    3rd 1.38:1
    4th 1.08:1
    5th 0.89:1
    The SC/RS is also fitted with a 40% locking factor anti-slip differential and a reinforced clutch. On the road, even in street version, the car is very performant : until 160 kph, it accelerates faster than a 300 hp 911 turbo ! But high speed is lower than on the Carrera 3.2, due to the bad front surface of the wide body and the shorter gear ratios. Here are the measures obtained by Auto, Motor und Sport, compared with the 1983 911 turbo :
    911 SC/RS 911 turbo 3.3
    0-100 kph 5"0 s 5"2 s
    0-160 kph 11"7 s 11"8 s
    standing kilometer 24"7 s 24"0 s
    top speed 244 kph 260 kph

You might like this pacorron , I apologize for the lack of clarity. An article of an ES SCRS , preparado por Bernard Vara (I only have 2 pages) :
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Peekaboo you are very kind I know Bernard well, he surely don´t remember this article I will send to him, he still living in Spain (Malaga) and now is designing the evolutions in the 997 GT3 rally version made from a cup car that is leading the national Rally chapionship with Fuster-Aviño both of them good friends, all three will be deligthed with the article thanks a lot.

hello,
    the trabal rsr is still alive and was in storage since 1978.
    it is now here in germany and we will bring it back to the street in unrestored condition with all the 934 flares, dents etc.
    nearly untoutched after crash repairin 1977.

a real survivor.
    if you are interested in pictures let me know.
    by the way i have a sister shell still untoutched to yours with factory number 00100x and i know another car with 00400x

ingo (jogihh)

Quote Originally Posted by Jogi-hh View Post
    the trabal rsr is still alive and was in storage since 1978.......
    if you are interested in pictures let me know.
    ingo (jogihh)
    Please post pictures, I would love to see this car.
    Thanks.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Yes they was but, one of those was re-shell in 73 maybe the buy a 73 ligthweigth bare shell to do it, does anyone has information about the Repsol cars VIN numbers?
    Do I understand this correctly? According to this message, it "said", "it said"... that one of the Repsols after the accident went back on another body or am I misunderstanding? This would be another one of those stories to add to these cars because if I understand correctly, it had disappeared in a fire and not in an accident.
    This is correct for sure, but after this moment one mechanic says cars went to Germany, and another says at least one of the cars went to a privateer call Castelló and after two years 73 74 (when he crashed and repaired) car went to a driver call Ramon Pic from Manrresa town, this shell was found 100 km away from that town, there is two teory one says El pic car was an ex-repsol car, second say it comes from original Rs ligthweigth, I´m finding out the details of Ramon Pic to try to found out more, any way the crucial question is to know if there is records of where the replacement shell where sold, any help will be much apreciate.