Thread: Scammer Alert

Scammer Alert

Ran into this on Craigslist.

This user posted the ad in several cities with slightly different prices but used the same photos. Here is an example of one of the ads: http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/2422620046.html

I emailed one of them just in case it was someone trying to spread the word about their car and got this:

1st email response:
    "Hello and thanks for your interest, The price for my car is $8,900... As you've probably already seen on my auction I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible. Few words about the car: it is in perfect condition, there's not even a scratch or any dents on it. Everything from the motor to the tires and mirrors is shining and looking brand new. I have a clear title for it, no liens or loans. This was my brother car but he is not... anymore.I don't want to get rich by its selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care...
    It is already at the shipping company, crated and ready to go and in this case i can't close the deal in person.. Looking forward.."

Sensing the scam, I then emailed asking for a contact number and got this response:

"Ok,
    The car is here with me in Columbus,Montana.. If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact Google Checkout and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. I will need your full name and address for that. You will receive a notification from Google Checkout shortly after that, together with all the instructions to follow and the invoice as well.

Regarding the payment, you will be instructed to deposit the money to an Google Checkout account. They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their buyer protection policy works. As far as the seller concerns, I will be glad to know that Google Checkout has the possession of the money during the delivery period. That is my insurance.

As soon as I will have the confirmation from Google Checkout that the funds have been deposited into their account, I will immediately start the shipping process.
    The car will be delivered to your address in no more than 5 working days. You will be given a 5 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home. If you decide to hold the car, then you will have to authorize Google Checkout to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the car, you will be able to send the car back through the same shipping company, and ask Google Checkout to return the funds to you.

Though I am sure you will love the car and will not want to return it, it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with the purchase, please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through Google Checkout right away.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    Regards, "

To totally call their bluff, I then responded that I have a friend in the area and want them to come look at the car and got this response:

"why you waste my time? i told you already what is my terms.."

This is the contact information they used: Marion Hansen bigdady62003@yahoo.com

Beware
    '73.5 911T Coupe Sportomatic Light Yellow (117)
    '73 911T Targa Sportomatic Light Yellow (117) - Sold
    '99 996 Carrera 4 Black - Sold

The Other Stuff:
    '63 Corvette Split Window
    '67 Datsun 1600
    '88 BMW M3
    '96 BMW M3
    '88 BMW M5

Saw this too. The wording of the ad, multiple city posting and covered up license plate in the pic are what screamed scam to me. I just blew it off.

emailed this one posted to SF bay
    , then seen it on boston then DC in the same day .
    long story .... total scam