Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albert Blue or Signal Yellow for a 1970E

Albert Blue or Signal Yellow for a 1970E

I'm tormenting myself over which way to go. My car has been bastardized at least three times in the last 40 years with colors that have nothing to do with a 1970 let alone a porsche. It's original color was burgandy and is not of interest to me. I find both Albert Blue and Signal Yellow to be very appealing colors and correct for the year. I'd love to hear opinions especially around difficulty to get the color/quality right, upkeep and just general cool factor. This car will have a Steel "S" front bumper along with TTG driving lights and the proper front bumperettes. I'm going for an original look with a driver's grade restoration.

Thoughts.....

Thanks for reading,

Alex

Two extremes. You'll find a lot of people don't like Signal Yellow. That's what I found when I changed my gold car to that color. Albert blue is a nice, safe color nobody will dislike. Personally, if I were going blue, I'd do Oxford or Gulf.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I really like the signal yellow.. but would give you a +1 for Oxford blue.
    Nah, go with yellow.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

You will find if you stay with a color on the same side of the spectrum, it will not clash with the orignal Burgandy Red. So you might look at Bahia Red, Light Red. Signal Orange. My car was Burgandy so I went with Tangerine--same side of color spectrum- Dark red to blood orange. Chris

Signal Yellow and Oxford Blue a/k/a Dalmation
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I have the Albert Blau. I didn't have a choice but now I love the color and get a lot of compliments on it.
    2007 GT3
    1999 996 Track RAT
    1970 911 T Tangerine

R Gruppe Member
    911 S Registry Member #1609

Signal Yellow. But be sure that the primer is correct. Real Signal yellow is somewhat transparent and can die if the base coat / primer is wrong. It is a VERY tricky color to paint, but completely brilliant if done right.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Signal yellow looks great in person. It's a color that's going to pop a lot more than blue. I do like the look without the bumperettes though. Good luck on the choice.
    72S, 72T now ST

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Two extremes. You'll find a lot of people don't like Signal Yellow. That's what I found when I changed my gold car to that color. Albert blue is a nice, safe color nobody will dislike. Personally, if I were going blue, I'd do Oxford or Gulf.
    Agree on all points including, unfortunately, the resale aspect. I also like Pastel Blue on a '70-71; it's a color that can really pop in the right light.

(a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Signal Yellow and Albert Blue

Hi Everyone - okay here are some more of my thoughts on this. I've attached some pictures that represent some things that I really like. If any of the cars belong to you - thanks for the inspiration.

The Signal Yellow - looks in this picture as I imagine the color should read. Just a hint of orange. I've attached the color chip to match. Seems like a lot of people confuse signal orange with signal yellow. Maybe its just computer monitors not registering the colors correctly.

The Albert Blue in this picture looks really nice to me. Very refined but still cool. The chrome pops.

The lighter blue car has the front end configured exactly as I like. This would look great with the Albert. The Yellow would not show off the chrome as nicely.

The lighter color blues just don't resonate for me. The look fanatastic but for whatever reason I'm not drawn to them.

What does everyone think from a value point of view? Do the more extreme colors like signal yellow and chartreuse create lower value? I was kind of thinking that they stand out - but maybe that's because I like the funky colors.

Best,

Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images