Page 79 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Oh-yeah --- One More Thing . . .

. . . Big Tank = no gas stops . . . all week-end

More 'go' . . . less 'stop'

We Can Be Heroes

Moving Day.1

1059's garage-mate for the last coupla years --- 904-002 . . . left --- back in July. Car had been quietly For Sale for about a year, + w/ My Buddy Dave 's moving out/on . . . the timing worked-out

Really-amazing car. Ex-Faktory prototype, ex-Chuck Beck, etc/etc/etc. Our Buddy Roger owned that car since the '70s (?) . . . + sold it for bank, too. If the trailer looks kinda big it's prolly 'cause they musta used it to deliver the payment.

Anyway, WAAAAAY more about that car, here . . .
    http://test.early911sregistry.org/fo...12979-Gtsp-904

I actually got to drive this Little Beastie, too. (Need to finish my little 'drive report' --- now that I'm thinking about it). Heading back to Der Vaterland, as I recall

Anyway. Car hadn't been used much --- + for quite a while, too . . . but I hope whoever has it doesn't get too carried away w/ bringing it back. Either way, I'm not sure if I'll ever see --- much less hear/touch/drive . . . anything even remotely like it again

Cars move on

Life goes on
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Moving Day.2

With Roger's 904 sold --- time to take care of everything else

Dave took down his 'office', pretty quickly. The lift that the Nasty Car had been sitting on/under for the last 5 years, sold on Craigslist, like, 10 minutes after he posted it --- too-low an asking price, if you ask me. Then there was the furniture, the copiers, phones, servers --- Dave sorted everything, packed it up, moved it out . . . like magic

I . . . dithered

It wasn't just that I live/work 120-some miles away. Out-of-the-Way is an under-statement. But Dave's place had become sort of a club-house for me, a refuge . . . a place to keep my more-that-just stuff someplace where it wasn't . . . invisible. Moving/leaving was a gonna miss this place kinda-thing -- ya know? I have the 'collector' gene --- Big Time . . . and, while I make a conscious effort to limit the things that I obsess --- er . . . collect

. . . Dave's place was wide open = tons o' wall space. And Dave was more-than-happy to have me use it

And so -------- I did . . . more-than-happily. Car parts --- too big/fragile/special to pack away. Road signage --- like my Real Deal Route 66 . . . among others. Photos + posters, lanyards + car show kitsch, badges + wheels + bits --- all the stuff that I pick-up in my playing-with-cars . . .

. . . like all the Porsche dealer frames

My biggest chore. Took three trips to Home Depot to get all the packing stuff, then sorting, listing, wrapping, packing, taping. Little sad. Not sure when I'll have 'em all out in the open like that again. Looking for a house, now --- but . . .

Then there was getting everything out. Five years is kindova long time, I suppose . . . but I was still surprised how much stuff I had. Got it all piled-up, then? . . .

. . . how do I get all this home?

1st thought was to borrow someone's truck or van. Pain. Expensive, too. And time-consuming

2nd was to just use my car. But that would mean multiple trips. Ditto-ditto-ditto

I love my little e30. Among other things, it's been one handy little hauler. Big/useful trunk, interior same, durable surfaces that wouldn't scar w/ healthy use. But/still --- even after I condensed everything as best I could . . . this job looked like it called for something --- more

Then? --- I had Another Idea

Why not just take-out the passenger seat? . . . . = un-do 4 bolts = more room . . . . = 1 trip. Maybe?

Sure-enough

I tell ya --- I wonder how many truck/van/wagon/suv sales this kinda feature would cost . . . if auto manufacturers advertised this kinda ability/utility for their passenger cars

Haven't put that pass-seat back since, either. 2 X BMW/Recaro 'sport seats' = ~120 lbs . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 11-27-2015 at 08:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Adios, Lake Forest . . .

. . . . . . . . . . .

We Can Be Heroes

Late 2015 . . .

1059 's been staying at my Mom's. I've been a 100 miles away, in a rental for the last 18 months . . . + looking for a place the last 3. Since moving outta Dave's, I wasn't too keen on dragging the car out here, w/ me, just to drag her someplace else, again, when I moved, so . . .

Anyway --- found a place. Escrow opened last week, so I should be moved-in by April-sometime. Actually gonna have my own garage, again --- + all my shyte in one place. (Been 8 years!) I'll do a thread on The Re-Do

Meanwhile . . .

. . . went to Pomona . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...95-Pomona-swap

I like the show. Prolly not something I can do all the time --- place 's SO NOT close . . . but it's always fun to walk the aisles, see some o' The Stuff, check-out the cars . . . and show-off mine. What can I say ---- I get great parking

And? . . . ran over a two-by-four. Was heading North on the 405 --- kinda in the middle of a pack o' cars . . . so when we rounded a corner ---- + there it was. See post #31 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...r-Patina/page4

No place to go + pretty-much boxed in = BANG! Sounded like bomb went-off, under the car, too. No real damage --- just a bonk low-down on the pass-side rocker deco, in front of the jack-point, w/ a fastener knocked out, too. I actually have the original decos, still. Think I need to maybe talk to John (Esposito), at some point

'Till then, I'll just call it 'patina'

What I'd really like to do is apply some o' that 'patina' to the noggin of the jack-ass who scatters his building supplies across a highway

And The Phoenix Show 's coming-up in a coupla weeks . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...eim-California

Looking forward to that! . . . enough to maybe even wash the Nasty Car

We Can Be Heroes

Are you well Rick? And how's 1059?

IMO --- cars are a really-stupid place to keep one's Hard Earned. Money sitting in a car earns no interest . . . and, in fact --- cars cost money . . . interest on their loans, insurance --- never mind all the fuel + maintenance. Which is why I usually own hoopties . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-The-Other-Car

Well --- after almost 8 years of successfully teasing/torturing/stringing-along/basically annoying-the-hell-outta my poor bank . . .

. . . finally bit the bullet . . .

. . . paid-off the Nasty Car

Yup . . . smelly/leaky/olde monstre is alllllllllllll mine

Late Christmas present --- to me . . .

Crazy year . . .

. . . + more to tell

We Can Be Heroes

Where It All Started . . .

. . . w/ this picture . . .

. . . almost 8 years ago

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-S-with-38k-mi

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    IMO --- cars are a really-stupid place to keep one's Hard Earned. Money sitting in a car earns no interest . . . and, in fact --- cars cost money . . . interest on their loans, insurance --- never mind all the fuel + maintenance. Which is why I usually own hoopties . . .
    [url]http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?55319-The-Other-Car[/url

Well --- after almost 8 years of successfully teasing/torturing/stringing-along/basically annoying-the-hell-outta my poor bank . . .

. . . finally bit the bullet . . .

. . . paid-off the Nasty Car

Yup . . . smelly/leaky/olde monstre is alllllllllllll mine

Late Christmas present --- to me . . .

Crazy year . . .

. . . + more to tell

Congrats. Now don't go and sell it!
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Congrats Rick, thanks for the update! Was getting worried. So have you enjoyed her at all this year?