Page 75 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

I like this chronicle...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

It's amazing how you left coaster's get used to speaking of home prices with more zeros than we do here in the primitive southwest. Ahhhh, but the climate is so great
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for keeping this thread going Rick. One day faraway, anyone looking for 1059s history will have it all here in one place

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I like this chronicle...
    Agreed! Best part is when Rick refers to 1059 as "the nasty car". I freaking roll on the ground laughing every time I see that
    Keep up the good work Rick, we appreciate you man.
    1973 911E Viper Green
    2021 Spyder PTS Signal Yellow
    2019 Carrera T Racing Yellow
    2008 Boxster S Ltd. Ed Orange
    2007 911 GT3 Meteor Grey

@Type911 instagram
    RGruppe #295
    Zuffenhausen secret weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Type911 View Post
    Agreed! Best part is when Rick refers to 1059 as "the nasty car". I freaking roll on the ground laughing every time I see that
    Keep up the good work Rick, we appreciate you man.
    +1 hombre - I feel like I just vacationed in Carmel!!

More Aug 2014 . . .

Zovig's lived in CA for, like --- going on 25 years. But she hasn't seen a lotta CA. Never been to Yosemite --- finally went to Sequoia, last year . . . never been North of SF, as far as I know . . . + never been to ---

--- Santa Cruz

I've been there a few times --- usually just passing through on my way up to The City on The One, mostly. Last time I was there was ~5 years ago, when I was looking for an Early 911 . . . and saw 9111300499 (aka 'Patrick') for sale --- see post #12 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...fty-nine/page2

Anyway, after strolling + trolling thru PG all morning --- time to explore someplace new

SC is ~40-some miles up The Coast --- maybe an hour's drive. I was a little worried about traffic. This was Saturday, and I couldn't be sure that between all the shows + racing + auctions + misc goings-on that we wouldn't get caught in some, but . . . everything worked-out

Most of this area was first settled about a hundred years ago --- + so, over the years, the lay-out of the towns + roads + infrastructure + is set-up to accommodate WAY less people + cars than show up during the Monterey Car Week. Still, only a coupla snarls, here + there, so minimum delays. After tip-toeing our way outta town, we took The One North, along the coast, to where it co-joins w/ The 101, + then on up to SC

Totally different place, Santa Cruz . . . weather, people, roads + architecture --- everything. First-off . . . it was hot --- especially if you're not by the ocean. And 2nd . . . way denser, as in, more people + cars. Only, instead of being all spread-out, most of the activity in SC was concentrated @The Beach . . .

. . . once you've found a place to park. Neighborhoods + streets were crawling w/ cars

Anyway, looks/feels a lot like Venice or Santa Monica --- or even Laguna Beach . . . 40 years ago. All the houses --- are just houses. Things are nice-&-tidy, enough --- but nobody spends a lotta time + money on stuff . . . prolly 'cause they're at The Beach. S'truth. It's the middle of the day/Saturday afternoon and, even though there are all kinds of stores + shops + markets + what-have-you . . . hardly any customers

Everybody's at The Beach

Anyway, rather than take my time/chances + try look for parking somewhere by the shore, I just cut-to-the-chase . . . and parked us out in The Boonies. Poor Zovig. After walkin' her all over creation over in Pacific Grove, I marched her a coupla more miles out --- + back . . . here in Santa Cruz --- just to save hassling for a parking spot. I even made her buy me ice cream

Note to Self: dipping a soft-serve cone does NOT delay it's melting . . . not even a little

1) Looks good to me. I saw this spot from a distance + just rolled up + in. Not sure what kinda tree that was --- + lotsa debris around, but . . . nothing stuck (as usual). Nasty Car looks good there, too, I think . . . like she lives there

2) Heading up The One. Looks worse than it was. Highway necks-down from 4 lanes to two as you come up to/pass by Moss Landing. Nothing too-too bad, but things can slow down. Overcast burns-off around there --- and it can get HOT

3) Don't let my kids see this. Eating in any of my vehicles was never allowed, when they were growing up. I must be getting soft. Then again . . . . Zovig puts up w/ no AC, no radio, not much room, a bagged-out 40-some-year-old seat, a howling motor, whining gears, me 'dealing with' traffic . . . + did I mention the 10 miles of walking that I put her through that day? . . . + besides --- she is pretty cute. 'Just don't get anything on my stinky upholstery. Please'

4) Leaving PG. After 4 decades of SoCal traffic? . . . this is cake
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-07-2014 at 06:38 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

After parking/feeding/hiking our way to The Beach --- we started-off taking a tour of the pier

These 're all up-&-down the CA coast --- more, here . . .
    http://www.seecalifornia.com/piers/c...tatistics.html

SC's happens to be the longest --- did not know that . . . >half-a-mile. (!) Usual collection of restaurant/snack shacks, novelty stores, the odd bait-&-tackle stand, restrooms, and --- of course/inevitably (especially in car-choked CA) . . . parking lots. (Why --- yes! . . . we park our cars out/over the ocean. Doesn't everyone?) Cooler/breezier, out there, over the water. Makes The Beach look smaller . . .

. . . but not quieter

Even w/ all the wind + waves + sea birds --- we can still hear . . .

. . . the screaming

Just so happens that Santa Cruz also has the loudest --- if not the biggest . . . Old School amusement park left = SC Beach Boardwalk

Kindova cross between a candy store + a car wash, I'm sure that this not-so-little collection of calories/endorphins/sun tan lotion/hormones has been generating no-small amount of tax revenue for SC ever since they opened the place, back in latter-part of the 19th century. Most towns that had piers also had these kindsa parks, but --- over the years . . . most of the others have been either burned down, swept out to sea, legislated/adjudicated away, or --- more perniciously . . .

. . . 'developed' --- ie sold-off to the highest bidder

Beach = bucks --- especially here, in The Golden State.

Anyway --- SC still has their park. But, not only did they keep it --- they compacted/condensed/turbo-charged it! Maybe that's why the park feels so claustrophobic --- every inch o' the place is doing something . . .

1) More sea-loaders. How these Jokers get up/out there, I haven't the faintest. Chubby buggers, too

2) Sand Shark . . . not to be confused w/ . . .

3) . . . the more-notorious Land Shark

4) Girlies love the Beach --- 'specially this one. Keep smiling, Sister. Just remember . . . its still 2 miles back to The Nasty Car

5) Wall. To. Wall
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-21-2014 at 06:49 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Could not get Zovig to ride any of these . . .

As for the Segways? . . .

. . . sold-out

Still never been on one

We Can Be Heroes

More Aug 2014 . . .

Hiked back, collected 1059, then drove back to Monterey for some dinner. We didn't get back too late but I was a little anxious about getting caught-up w/ the Evening Crowd. Uh . . . left my tux @home kinda thing. So, while it was still sunny out . . . we headed back

And, like before, our luck held-up, traffic-wise. Lotsa cars but no delays. Got cooler/over-castier as he went South, too. Zovig gets cold easily --- goes all goose-bumpy w/ the first puff of AC, even . . . +, since she was in shorts, I wanted to find us someplace nice/warm/in-doors to have our supper together

I had a decent sense of how to navigate our way around Monterey --- we were all here also, last year, for the Legends show . . . so I pulled us smartly up + around a little neighborhood, to the West side . . . + even found us a nice little public (= 'free') parking lot, just a few blocks from Downtown

Surprised to find any lot w/ a spot, too. Saw it, almost at the last second --- punched the brakes, whipped the car around/up/in, + --------------

----- GRAAUUUUNCH!!

Bit-enthusiastic manuevering + steeper-than-foreseen incline on the approach = . . . . . . . . liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit o' contact

Zovig's expression = priceless

I was already thinking about how hard it would be to un-bung the bumper/touch-up the paint --- the Big Tank never came up (really --- I swear . . . never) . . . when I got out to do a quick visual ---- +? . . . .

. . . all that 'touched'? . . . was that cuff-thingy, that protects the front A-arm attach. I'll mention it to Marco, @The Next Service . . . meanwhile . . .

. . . = carry on, then!

1) Requisite vintage Porsche content. Anybody?

2) Familiarity breeds ---- speed. Nice to have a tach that I can trust. Even the trip-odo re-sets now! Plus --- + I'll be honest here . . . this car runs sooooo much better/smoother/happier @the higher revs. Just doing this for the car's sake

3) Passing by Moss Landing. Lotsa cars + traffic . . . but no hold-ups

4) Long-long day walking . . . + just look at her! My Kinda Passenger

5) Point-o'-contact
    Last edited by LongRanger; 09-14-2014 at 04:26 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Really enjoying, thanks. I lived in various Monterey Peninsula towns and loved it. Still think of Pacific Grove as my home town. Even with the changes and crowds there now. Sell everything and move back some day? That is the only way I will afford it, ha.
    Happy trails
    JR