Page 26 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

One More thing . . .

. . . ten fifty-nine?

. . . Lou's birthday.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Great addition to the story. Think I'll write the guys on my old Reg tags, see if anything comes up.

Wheel looks like leather. Looks perfect for beating on. Did the hub fit?
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Hey, Scott . . .

Thanks again for hooking me up, Man! . . . . really appreciate your taking the time.

. . . May have to wait on the fitting. I'm out-of-town this coming . . .

Carmegedon . . .

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6913158.story

Hope I can get back in! . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Busy

Thread's gonna be jumping around a bit . . . . lot of things going on, right now:

1) Got another special bit on its way . . . not strictly a 911 (or even a Porsche) piece, but something I've wanted for a long time

2) The whole 'history' thing is starting to pick-up steam.
    _a) Real excited to hook-up with Lou . . . 'll see what comes up
    _b) No word, yet, from CA DMV. Because Lou bought the car in '85, there's an excellent chance that PO #2 --- the Guy Who Actually Imported the Car --- will turn up in the registration records. And? --- since most people who come to Kleptofornia never leave --- he just might still be around to talk with. Fingers crossed. Maybe toes
    -c) Need to come up with any leads on 'Dealer’s showroom, small village in the Alps' . . . this part'll be one very long shot . . .

3) Monterey's next month. Really, really wanna take 1059, too --- but first . . .

4) . . . Gotta go after the fuel lines/clamps (still owe you a call, Greg -- haven't forgotten), which actually kinda looks like fun --- just not NOW!

5) And meanwhile . . . 1059's running really b!tchin'. Likes the heat (female). Had some nasty/sweaty/stinky days last week . . . she just purred, oil temps under 90C, coupla burps, a pumpf or two, then? . . . . zooooOOOOM. I've learned to tip-toe past the rough patch --- ~27-3200 rpm --- then just drive, keep the revs up. Really enjoying the 901 now, too. Less effort, almost shifts herself . . . practice.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-13-2011 at 03:30 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Switzerland

Looking at some stuff, last night, noticed this, printed on the key pouch that came with 1059.

GEBR.
    DURST AG
    Duvos
    Golf-Garage 033/5 42 44

'AG' is the German abbreviation for Aktiengesellschaft --- incorporated.
    Duvos (?) is stylized . . . a name?, brand? . . .
    The lower line . . . an address?, phone exchange? . . .

Go to Google --- bingo!

Dürst AG
    Davos
    Stifterfirma
    Talstrasse 44
    7270 Davos

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Talstr...98,73.125&z=16

Now known as?:

Gebr Dürst
    c / o Capol & Partner AG
    Ottostrasse 29
    7000 Chur

Purpose
    Acquisition, management and sale of real estate, real estate holdings and investments . . .

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ottost...,0.017853&z=16

. . . . Switzerland

(All this time . . . . . . right in front of me --- in my hands!!! . . . )

Time to write another letter . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Going Out Tomorrow . . . .

To Whom it May Concern . . .

My name is Rick Kreiskott and I’m the owner of a 1970 Porsche 911, vehicle identification number = 9110301059.

I’m researching the history of my vehicle. I was looking at the keys that came with the car and saw the following printed on the key-pouch:

GEBR.
    DURST AG
    Davos

Golf-Garage 033/6 42 44

I researched this information and came up with:

Dürst AG
    Davos
    Stifterfirma
    Talstrasse 44
    7270 Davos

And looking still further, I found your company:

Gebr Dürst AG
    c / o Capol & Partner AG
    Ottostrasse 29
    7000 Chur

I have an unusual request. Is there anyone there with your organization who knows anything about this vehicle? Possibly someone who’s been there since 1974 or 75, and who remembers either the car or possibly its owner? The vehicle is dark metallic green and has a black vinyl-and-corduroy interior, and is reported as having been purchased from a small used-car dealership in Switzerland, then imported to the US sometime in the mid-‘70s. I would like to communicate with the previous owner of this vehicle, but all I know of this person . . . . is that they had a key-pouch with your company’s name on it.

I need your help. I have enclosed a picture of the vehicle, its key-pouch, and a copy of my current insurance document with my name and the vehicle’s identification number. If you could, when you have some time, please post my letter and these pictures, maybe ask or call some of the senior members of your organization, ask if they’ve ever seen, or remember anything about, this vehicle or its owner.

I don’t want to upset anyone, and I certainly don’t want to disturb anyone’s privacy. But this is an unusual situation, like a treasure-hunt, one that everyone I’ve contacted so far has enjoyed being involved with --- finding out about their strange old car. I would appreciate any information that can be provided.

I’m including my address, phone number, and e-mail below; please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely yours . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Thar She Blows! . . .

. . . after 41 years.

Anybody know where I can get hold of a nice corduroy beach towel?

(Uh . . . no plaid . . .)

Rick

PS Thread's 1st anniversary, today . . .

We Can Be Heroes

O boo.

Still better than not driving it.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Rick,

My 67S was also a European delivery and had tan interior with corduroy inserts. Even back in 1975 I couldn't find factory original replacements. Finally I went to a large fabric store in SF and found an almost perfect match in whale width. I bought some ivory color material, cut a small piece of non faded corduroy from the back of the seat cushion and had it dyed to match. May not have been the same quality as the factory but it looked good and still does today.

Good luck,
    Bill

Keepable

Given a choice between getting Good News or Bad . . . I'll always want the The Bad News first.

Get it over with, on to the Good . . . finish on the high(er) note.

I remember when I first saw the photos of the rust-through on 1059's driver's side rocker. Disappointed --- but (cynical b@st@rd that I am) was expecting something to turn up. After some poking around, finding the (effing!) foam, looking at the rest of the shell . . . still made the call.

'I want the car.'

Rust?

'Fix that rocker.'

Then, seeing no other evidence, made another call.

'Fix 'em both.'

After I saw the One? . . . figured I'd head-off any corrosion issues with the Other. Brand New Panels, heavy-duty rust-protection . . . done. Plus, keep a bit of symmetry going --- consistency -- both sides the same. And also, in case anything else was lurking up back inside there . . .

As it was --- nothing. Except for that one outer rocker, 1059 was fine.

Took pictures of the work, kept all the bits that were keepable . . . like the pass-side rocker.

The Bad News.

While the driver's-side was not much more than painted scale held together by body-schutz ---- the pass-side was fine.

Only surface corrosion.
    Sound and original.
    No reason to have replaced it . . . . at . . . . . . . . all . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ever.

Not having seen it closely since it was still on the car, really --- in pictures --- and finding it now, pulling it out again, looking at it close, holding it, seeing the finish, its thickness, weight, condition . . . . . . a little sad.

Maybe if I'd actually been there --- seen things for myself? . . .

Maybe if I wasn't so wound-up about finding one spot of rust on an otherwise spotless car? . . .

Maybe if I'd just sat down one d@mn minute, cooled my jets, let things settle . . . get someone ---like John Esposito --- take a long/slow/experienced look at things? . . .

Done now. Move on.

At least The Good News is that, if anybody --- me --- had any doubts about what condition 1059 was in when her rockers got replaced, well . . . . here ya go . . . the pass-side bit that I saved . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-18-2011 at 09:55 PM.

We Can Be Heroes