Hi Rick,

I just caught up with this excellent thread. I thoughly enjoyed your write-up of your journey to '1059'. It is rather amazing how our paths crossed during our searches for our 2.2S coupes.

I sold my 2.2S Targa in the Spring of '08 because I really wanted a coupe, not just any coupe, but a special 2.2S with a 'soul'. My Targa had no real soul in my eyes because it's past was lost to time and it restored and not in original condition. I saw the Gemini Blue car for sale in MI also and asked my good friend Jared to check it out. I rejected it for many the same reasons you did.

I first saw the Pano ad for Patrick in late summer of '08 and began my own evaluation by talking with Eve (Lee's daughter) on the phone and writing emails to Lee. I was very fortunate to have the car checked out by registry memeber Michael Downing, who I can't thank enough. He was able to catch Lee on good day (his last good day unfortunately ) and they spent the afternoon together talking about and looking the car over. I am very envious of you both for having the opportunity to meet and talk with Lee in person. That will always be a void for me.

Needless to say this car has a tremendous soul so I persued it aggressively, not wanting it to go onto eBay as I feared I would loose out for sure. I don't think I shared this before but I offered Lee $75K for the car after Micheal sent over the photos. Lee turned me down, not out of greed, but wanting to honor his word to all the others who had contacted him about the car. He had told everyone the car would be auctioned. Of course as you know I was the only bidder and I won the auction for $68.5K. Pretty crazy to say the least.

So glad you ended with '1059' and not '499'. Happy motoring, Rick.