Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 911S Registry or 911's Registry

Quote Originally Posted by hoffman912 View Post

here is a pic i took of his car at the last rendezvous (his son in law drove it up). if it wasnt for him i wouldnt have bought my dslr.

Harry - one of your best. Dave would be proud! (at first - I thought it was one of his pics! Good work!)

He was the subject of discussion at dinner tonight with some friends. His death affected me more then any non-immediate family member - and more then most immediate family. I never turn a wrench on my 912s without thinking of him. He is always looking over my shoulder.

Yes - we have a 912 registry - I am glad/amazed that it continues to soldier on (a tribute to Dave's genius!) . And I am happy to be welcomed here (at least I THINK I am welcome ) - even though I somehow feel a bit out of place for whatever reason - nothing specific or because of ANY comment/action from ANY other member. After all - we all have essentially the same car and more importantly, the same level of passion for excellence and detail. Both venues are wonderful communities - and if anything - the 912BBS is MORE of a clique.

I was by EASY today to dig up some really minor parts (like the clips for the wiring to the license plate lights on the engine cover hinge - that gives you an idea how short the list is getting). Jim (the owner) came out shortly after I pulled up. A smile came across his face and he immediately lauded praise on the appearance of Jack. He was definitely impressed. I couldn't have been prouder - because at one point in my part hunting a few years back for some performance goodie (I think the aluminum front cross member or I was drooling over some gas burners) he had remarked "It's ONLY a 912!".

+1 for the current name. I just hope you guys will continue to tolerate us "poor cousins" continuing to hang out here too. I just put my money where my mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton View Post

So yes it does not seem clear to all that all longhoods are welcomed and the stigma still exists.
    Maybe this:

You do not have to own a 911S to join. All you need is an appreciation for early 911s (not just S cars) and a desire to communicate with like-minded individuals.
    Needs to be posted on the bbs somewhere - like at the top where it talks about "Joining the Registry" in addition to here. I had never looked there about joining because I don't have an S.

Be nice if it said "appreciation for early 911s & 912s"

I'm good with leaving the title of the club as is.
    Perhaps on the registration it could be amended to allow all types of early 911/912's to be entered. Now it asks only for info on early 911S's. While the intention might not be exclusionary, it seemed that way to me when I was first looking. Bill M

Yes, early 911 S Registry is the way to go
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    I'm good with leaving the title of the club as is.
    Perhaps on the registration it could be amended to allow all types of early 911/912's to be entered. Now it asks only for info on early 911S's. While the intention might not be exclusionary, it seemed that way to me when I was first looking. Bill M
    i think it should only ask for early s data. the purpose of a registry is to keep a historic record on cars, to preserve the model, a place for like minded individuals, fans and owners of that model to gather info.

its not a long hood registry. its the early 911s resgistry, so registration shoudl collect info and stats on those cars for data purposes. thats not to say other owners cannot join, or have fun, or partake in events. thats just saying, 'everyones welcome, but we specifically want stats on these models for our own tracking purposes. if you have a 912 thats cool. if you have a 911t thats awesome. if you have an E, that bitchin. if you have an S, great. but we only need stats on the S, and even though we dont collect your data, you can still come and hang out and enjoy the fun'.

the 356 registry doesnt collect data on 911s or 912s, but they still let us join in the fun. same goes here.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

As a founding father, I'm member #2, Vern's vision was to channel the passion and enthusiasum of early S owners by starting the registry to share information and catalog the cars. However it was not exclusionary, anyone could join S owner or not. At the time one could pick up a nice S for ten grand. The car's special nature had lost notoriety over time and were not the collector car it is today. But the S owners were just as passionate as today, maybe even more so because one could own multiple S cars for cheap. The people who knew, knew. It's just that fewer people were S enthusiasts and the were plenty of cars to go around. Obviously the registry has evolved but the spirit has continued to be the glue that hold us together as a group of enthusiasts no matter what model of 911 you own or don't own. I say the more the merrier. But do not get hung up on the name. Plenty of members have figured it out. Just look at the new members list in the Esses. Hats off to the current Registry staff for the tremendous job they are doing. I see no need to change the name. Steve

+1 What Steve and Harry said.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry

if we changed the name what would we call our OUTSTANDING magazine?
    and what about our logo?
    no change for me please!
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    As a founding father, I'm member #2, Vern's vision was to channel the passion and enthusiasum of early S owners by starting the registry to share information and catalog the cars. However it was not exclusionary, anyone could join S owner or not. At the time one could pick up a nice S for ten grand. The car's special nature had lost notoriety over time and were not the collector car it is today. But the S owners were just as passionate as today, maybe even more so because one could own multiple S cars for cheap. The people who knew, knew. It's just that fewer people were S enthusiasts and the were plenty of cars to go around. Obviously the registry has evolved but the spirit has continued to be the glue that hold us together as a group of enthusiasts no matter what model of 911 you own or don't own. I say the more the merrier. But do not get hung up on the name. Plenty of members have figured it out. Just look at the new members list in the Esses. Hats off to the current Registry staff for the tremendous job they are doing. I see no need to change the name. Steve
    Yes, I agree. However, up until a few years ago, the only Registry persons considered a "Member" were owners of a 911S. If someone had a non-S 911, they were designated a "Subscriber". Though equivalent in all other respects, the term smacked of secondary status.

I now see that there is but one designation - member. Small changes such as this and big changes such as the excellent Esses Mag contribute to the overall perspective of the club.

Congrats to the board (Chuck, John, Fred and Mike) for their foresight (not sure who else on the board I missed, but congrats to them as well).

Feather ruffler: OTOH, why isn't the website updated? I'm pretty certain there's more than a few that don't realize there is a website, even fewer bother to see an event calendar that's 2 years old or Registry contacts for individuals no longer on the scene.

Let's complete the transformation.

Sherwood

With everything said and good points made from both sides, the final question: is the name the main reason for people not becoming members?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com