Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: '65/'66 ignition switch refit hell - experts needed

'65/'66 ignition switch refit hell - experts needed

The power to the ign. switch actually goes to the light switch first from fuse # 2, then from the light switch (red/white? diagram shows red) to term 30 (30 is always a 'hot' term.) of the ign. switch. Then from term. 15 (15 is always 'ign.on') of the ign. switch to fuse #1 from there power is sent to the instrument panel and to the ignition coil. Term. 50 (is the starter power) gets the big yellow wire that goes back to the starter. Term 75 is the radio power so it works on both access. and ign. on.The grey wire term. 57a should go to the turn signal switch term. 57a. The small yellow wire doesn't show on the diagram, later addition? On later cars that was the radio power wire. Do you have a newer radio that requires memory? Have I got you confused now?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

bullet connectors

I have never seen bullet connectors on a 911 -912.

Hey Kenik, this is what I have from my notes...

30 - Red to turn signal switch
    30 - Red to headlight switch
    15 - Red to grey connector, then to #1 fuse
    50 - Yellow to grey connector, then to starter
    54 - Rd/Wt to connector, then to radio?
    57 (Pa) - Grey to turn signal switch

My car is not here though but should be on Thursday so if you want some pics, let me know
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

There is a tag that goes in the middle of the switch to id the terminals. Mine fell off after that photo(several years old) but I found it in the glove box this morning and updated the drawing. Should be the missing link to the wiring diagram!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    The power to the ign. switch actually goes to the light switch first from fuse # 2, then from the light switch (red/white? diagram shows red) to term 30 (30 is always a 'hot' term.) of the ign. switch. Then from term. 15 (15 is always 'ign.on') of the ign. switch to fuse #1 from there power is sent to the instrument panel and to the ignition coil. Term. 50 (is the starter power) gets the big yellow wire that goes back to the starter. Term 75 is the radio power so it works on both access. and ign. on.The grey wire term. 57a should go to the turn signal switch term. 57a.
    -EDIT- You guys are fast - answering my questions while I am still typing them!!! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do you have a newer radio that requires memory? Have I got you confused now?
    There used to be an '80s Becker in the car. This now makes sense.

Here's how I am mapping this:

A - PA (57 per Chris) - turn signal switch
    B - 30 - 'hot' term
    C - Empty
    D - 30 - 'hot' term
    E - Empty
    F - Empty
    G - 15 - 'ign.on'
    H - 54 - radio power?
    I - 54 - radio power?
    J - Empty
    K - 50 - starter power

Which one is term 75? Same as 54?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Pa is 57 on my switch
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Quote Originally Posted by endo911rs View Post
    Pa is 57 on my switch
    I edited my post above - thanks!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I got sidetracked installing 67mm wheel studs, 21mm spacers and my sport muffler, so just got back to this today. For anyone curious, the "through the e-brake cable hole" method works like a charm.

The car now starts, but no headlights or blinkers, so I know which wire goes where. Sometime this weekend I will have the car back together and my old Becker Europa will be powered off of the ignition and a little amplifier installed to boost it over the road noise. Treffen prep is coming along nicely!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

OK, problem.

The white wire with black stripes is giving me fits. This wire, when powered, turns on the lights without involvement of the headlight switch. When hot, the lights go on. Hi/low switch works fine. This wire leads to the turn signal stalk. If I put this wire in 54, I get daytime running lights, but I prefer not to go this route.

I assume that this wire needs to get its power from the headlight switch, not the ignition. The wires I can see coming from the switch are thick red, thin red, yellow. All seem involved with ignition. Which wire is the power to the light switch and which wire brings switched power back to my white wire/black stripes?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

'65/'66 ignition switch refit hell - experts needed

Kenik, the white w black wire from the column switch should go to term 56 of the light switch. Try that.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.