Thread: A neat early 911 story? A good technical bulletin? It's both!

A neat early 911 story? A good technical bulletin? It's both!

Thanks to Ed Mayo on the PCA site!:

Classification: Engine
    Subject: 911 out from storage
    Model: 911T
    Year: 1971
    Total Mileage: 43,000
    Car Use: General

Question:
    I purchased this Porsche at the factory on July 15, 1971. I drove it for 3 years as a daily driver. Then I used it as a second car. It has not been used since 1987 when I put 40mm Webers on it. It has been in my garage in New England for most of the last 20 years. It is in fabulous condition. My question is: should I rebuild the engine with 43,00 miles on it or should I be able to start it up. The engine turns over easily and was loaded with Marvel Mystery Oil. I was told that I cou ld ruin the engine (spin a bearing) by just trying to start it up. What do you think?. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
    John Breslin

Answer:
    I see no reason to jump in and rip that engine apart. It sounds like you have "pickeled" it pretty well. I would drain all the old oil, including removing the sump, just to be certain nothing is in there. That vintage engine used rubber guide blocks which could break and get caught in the chain, you're going to need to change those out very soon. After adding back 9 qts of oil and new filter remove all the spark plugs and pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and ground it, right at the coil bracket is a good place. Crank the engine with the starter in 15 second bursts, so as to keep the starter from over heating, (that's why you pulled the plugs, easier on the starter, cranks faster) until you see movement on the oil pressure gauge. Check for any oil or fue l leaks. Remove the air cleaner and looking down the throat work the throttle linkage to see if the accelerator pumps are squirting. Assuming they are, replace the air cleaner, coil wire, and spark plugs. Pump the throttle 2 or 3 times BEFORE cranking the engine, hold throttle about half way down and crank engine, if it starts hold throttle to maintain about 2,000 RPM for about 5 minutes, the high engine speed moves a lot of oil around at high pressure to get everything lubricated. If engine doesn't start right away, STOP cranking and pump throttle 2/3 more times, then try again. You do not pump the throttle while cranking, this goes for ANY time you're starting engine. Always pump throttle when engine is stationary! If you are successful in waking up this engine I would replace the chain guides mentioned earlier, maybe also rebuild/ replace tensioners and verify cam timing is correct. When all that is done drive it, watch oil pressure, and temperature. Put some miles on it and let the rings reseat themselves. We have brought engines back from storage that weren't stored as well as yours, and they worked just fine.

Glad to see you're bringing this fine old car back to life.

Ed Mayo - PCA WebSite - 6/15/2008

Click here to view this question online or copy this link (http://www.pca.org/tech/tech_qa_question.asp?id={6F12E171-38AE-4D70-A58A-F98BF275CB0E}) and paste it into your browser.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

I had a similar experience. Dave Bouzaglou at TRE brought mine back gently through repeated sessions of cranking with various fluids like ATF. When he began, it squirted water out of the spark plug holes (!) Now it runs like a champ.

German Engineering- tough, powerful, and elegant
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425