Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What You Should Know About Your Lubricant

I believe the original article is described as:

Bob Olree’s Article from the Dec. 2007 GM Techlink publication for GM dealers and technicians titled: “Engine Oil Myths”

Unfortunately, it's for dealers only who can access this, I think:

http://service.gm.com/index_en-US/techline.html

The key part that intrigues me is the second set of comments in italics that begins to describe the differences between the slower revving engines (such as those typically from GM) that are reflected in the standard engine tests and our higher revving engines that are not truly reflected in the Sequence IIIG and IVA engine tests.

The plot thickens for me and I must do more research.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

More...

I am studying the ACEA specs to see if ANY of the engine tests correlate at all to our engines and measure certain types of valve train wear. The answers thus far are vague. I may call some of my contacts at SwRI...

Some high level ACEA categories to look for on your engine oil (ACEA = European Automobile Manufacturers Association, of which Porsche is a member):

A/B : gasoline and diesel engine oils

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline and car + light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

I'd be interested in know the Zinc and Phosphorous ppm levels in these two SAE 20W-50 oils (as I can not locate this data in the public domain):

http://www.amref.com/bp_pb/7115_17_1...ng_Oils_PB.pdf

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa

Why not just add the GM zinc additive to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is easy to buy, 100% syn and what most have been using for years.

My car runs very hot on the track 250 - 260 F on hot days. I really want to stick with a 100% syn oil as they have the best heat dissipation characteristics and are best suited for extreme conditions. The Brad Penn is not 100% syn and I question it's ability to withstand extreme conditions.

I guess it's debatable how much zinc is really needed. To get the best of all worlds and error on the side of caution why not just add zink to Mobil 1?

Chris

73 911 E

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa
    I'd be interested in know the Zinc and Phosphorous ppm levels in these two SAE 20W-50 oils (as I can not locate this data in the public domain):

http://www.amref.com/bp_pb/7115_17_1...ng_Oils_PB.pdf

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7032644
    Peter,

Thanks for the update.

For Brad Penn: The data sheet you provide the link says: "... The SAE 40, SAE 50, Partial Synthetic SAE 10W-30 and Partial SAE 20W-50 racing oils are suitable for use in API service Category SJ applications...." Since this meets API SJ, I think we are ok as part of this standard (to the best of my knowledge) requires a high level of anti-wear additives (ZDDP).

Per the Castrol Data sheet, their Syntec 20W50 (http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp...syntec_usa.pdf) "... Exceeds all
    car and light truck manufacturer’s warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended.... ". Seems odd, as the API SM grade standards are somewhat mutally exclusive of the earlier grades.

In syummary, you gotta watch out for them slick marketing guys.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul
    Why not just add the GM zinc additive to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is easy to buy, 100% syn and what most have been using for years.

My car runs very hot on the track 250 - 260 F on hot days. I really want to stick with a 100% syn oil as they have the best heat dissipation characteristics and are best suited for extreme conditions. The Brad Penn is not 100% syn and I question it's ability to withstand extreme conditions.

I guess it's debatable how much zinc is really needed. To get the best of all worlds and error on the side of caution why not just add zink to Mobil 1?

Chris

73 911 E
    Chris,

Two issues:

1-EOS may or may not be available; and
    2-Too much ZDDP is bad for the pistons and rings.

While you may do what you wish, I know that Steve Weiner and Jerry Woods are big advocates of SWEPCO 306 which does not require any additives. Brad Penn is the "good old" Kendall for the '60's and '70's. It too does not require additives.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300