Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel tank finish and color

My 71 had the grey Wurth undercoating on the entire tank with no other paint from the factory if that helps.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Scope Creep Poster Child
    John-
    The '70-'71 tanks are only black after they have aged 30 years. The SKS does schange color over time.

Kaufmanp-
    You summary of paint on SKS is correct for your year ('73), but earlier cars have their undercoating painted black (except the tank).

-Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Color & coating for '67 Tank

Since we are on the subject what would be the correct color and coating for a '67 (9/66) tank and engine compartement?

Sumner

So many questions, so few answers....

I'll take a stab at this one...

I found the tank on my '67 to be the gray finish on the top surface and black on the bottom.

One of the biggest problems I have had during my project is keeping the surface finishes consistant from front to back and from top to bottom.
    Keeping the same gloss and texture on the various surfaces is VERY difficult. It is hard enough to try and match factory colors and gloss but, it is even more difficult to when the project has extended over two years. The gloss of the dash vs the gloss of the engine compartment vs the gloss of the bottom of the gas tank, the engine tins, steering wheel butterfly and so on. I'm sure the pros have their tools and tricks but, for the rest of us it's get it close and be happy. For me, there was just NO WAY to have all the various surfaces for the various pieces ready at the same time.

At some point it is just "good enough" to no longer see primer and bare metal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Close enough for hand grenades

I’m on the downward slope (my wife would say spiral) with the tub going in for paint in a week or so.

Some things we only would like to do once, and replacing the tank is on that list for me. Unless that early 100 Liter tank appears on the horizon.

My tank will be grey undercoated all around, unless someone can correct my path.

I believe the road, track and time will take care of the bottom.

The search for the “right” can lead to some pretty interesting pathology.

Sumner