Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re-Plate Horn Button Trim?

some notes from experience

My horn button is together again and I have some notes from my experience. May be it's of help to some one else.

1. I have taken a button apart before and that button was different from my current button. My current button has a metal backing plate. I glued foam to that metal backing plate, put on the leather cover and checked whether I liked the shape of the button. I used scissors to shape it.
    2. after the ring has been rechromed the tabs will be most likely be a little thicker. I used a dremel to grind off the extra material and fitted each tab in the slot in the button first before assembling. I also made small cut outs in the metal backing plate so that it would fit better between the tabs (the cut outs are around the tabs). If the cut outs are not there the metal plate will interfere w/ the tabs.
    3. the tabs are real sharp to the plastic of the horn button. You have to be very careful w/ getting the tabs in and not to scratch the plastic of your button. To make sure that the tab is above the slot that it should slide in I used a marker so that I could see where the slot was once the leather would hide it.
    4. I didn't bend the tabs back yet since I am not sure how stiff the button should be or that I prefer. The button w/ patina on the left is very concave, the restored button I kept flat since I liked that better and I have seen originals like that as well. I want to do some research in this field before I finalize my button.
    5. Initially I thought that the ring was sitting at the same deepness all around. When I compared it w/ my other button I learned that even back then the ring was not sitting at the same deepness all around.

Hope this is off help to some one.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images     

so

So what. I notice you are posting to this topic, Its OK for you but not for me? At any rate " once a Porsche guy always a Porsche guy" . He may respond, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    Gunzel look at the date. You are responding to a thread which is over 2 years old. Is Scott Clarke still on this board? Is the plater still in business?

Richard