Thread: Photos of trunk finish SWB wanted

Photos of trunk finish SWB wanted

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In a few weeks I'm going to strip and repaint the trunk floor of my '66 911 to palliate some rust before it gets worse.

I received a nice response over on the PCA tech board from John Paterek, who advised, with regard to my question about the original finish:

"The original schutz is a medium grey in color, this was applied in a pebble texture then brush painted semi or satin black. In 68 the coating was changed to a petroleum based tar like coating then back to schutz in 69. 3m and Wurth both make a water based schutz that is easy to apply and dries to a black finish."

My question is, can anyone with an original SWB, preferably a 65 or 66, post a couple of closeup photos of the original paint on the trunk floor, near the smugglers box lid, and on the shock towers?

Has anyone done the "re-schutzing?"

My thanks in advance for your assistance.

John Cramer
    '66 911 #304065

This in an unrestored 66 car, #303949. The black stonechip appears to be applied directly over the bare metal, there is no body colour underneath it

The edge arround the smuggler's box is not stonechip, but the same matt black colour as the rest of the trunk

The stonechip goes right up under the dash panel

Under the fenders the stonechip is applied over the body colour, but after the fenders were attached The fender to cowl "rubber" is a piece of folded black leatherette!

I can send higher res pictures directly if you want
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Nick

that is absolutely fantastic to see such detailed pics of an unrestored car.
    It is an invaluable resource to someone doing a restoration.

I wish I had had access to similar type of pics when I was re-doing my car

thank you for sharing them
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I have recently restored a 68S that has the "petroleum based tar like coating" and achived a similar finish using "Upol black Gravirex Stonechip"

Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Here's a shot of the same. It's like tar, the way we pronounce "tire" in the South.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Thanks Gentlemen! I really appreciate the detailed shots.

Does that Webasto heater WORK?
    '66 911 #304056
    '71 911E H-Stock Club Racer

Tom,

Liked your phonetic of "tire".... can you reverse phonetic this one?

"bob war"

E

Barbed Wire, of course. We are not all Cretans. Just some of us.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by john_cramer
    Does that Webasto heater WORK?
    I indavertently hit the switch the other day and heard it cycling but thought better of it and turned it off since I was in the garage. The wife just wouldn't understand how a perfectly nice car burned down the house.
    It needs a full inspection before attempting "ignition" because I don't want a "lift off"!
    It's probably just fine.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111