Thread: correct battery specs for 67 911?

correct battery specs for 67 911?

I'm going to replace my battery, and after reading the posts on battery and alternators, don't want to get the wrong one....

I have a stock 67 911, very stock. what sort of battery specs should I be concerned about?

thanks all...

td

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    To start with: 12 Volts.

Aside from that, here's what the PCA's Early 911 Technical Chairman had to say:

The battery that is an exact fit for all early single battery 911s and 912s is a U.S. size 2HN. This was described to me as an "ordinance" battery used in pairs in 24 volt military vehicles such as the Jeep. It is 5 1/4 inches wide, 10 3/16 inches long and 9 inches high. The battery applications list suggests a 22NF which is too short for the tray and cover but will work if you don't care about originality and maximum battery capacity. I have purchased a couple of 2HN batteries from Cargo Battery Co., 303-296-8763, here in Denver, Colorado. They cost about $100. They are sold dry so they can be shipped if you can't find one on your side of the pond.

David Seeland - PCA WebSite - 10/12/2004

I'm running a 22NF right now. Those are easily available from Interstate Batteries distributors.

There's also a battery intended for Hondas which is a bit too narrow but can fit. The nice thing about it is that Optima makes a battery in this size--one of the few special sizes Optima makes.

Because of an emergency battery need I had been running the Honda battery--it sort of scrunched that $ 65 plastic cover that goes over the battery. If you put a piece of plywood between that battery and the fender it might fit with little less stress on that expensive plastic cover.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Optima doesn't look stock, but it sure eliminates acid spill worries.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Quote Originally Posted by pwd72s
    A while back, I saw a long-wheelbase 911 with a single battery (not an Optima) mounted on its side. I was going to ask the owner where he had found a battery that would work lying on its side, but he was busy looking for a way to jump start the car. I didn't ask about corrosion, either.

The 22HN doesn't look all that stock, either. They seem to be a common size for farm tractors and electric wheelchairs and scooters. Interstate decorates them accordingly. Porsches were originally designed to transport two gentlemen and their golf clubs so maybe that's ok.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

A while back, I saw a long-wheelbase 911 with a single battery (not an Optima) mounted on its side. I was going to ask the owner where he had found a battery that would work lying on its side, but he was busy looking for a way to jump start the car. I didn't ask about corrosion, either.

The 22HN doesn't look all that stock, either. They seem to be a common size for farm tractors and electric wheelchairs and scooters. Interstate decorates them accordingly. Porsches were originally designed to transport two gentlemen and their golf clubs so maybe that's ok.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf
    A while back, I saw a long-wheelbase 911 with a single battery (not an Optima) mounted on its side.
    The Odyssey dry cell batteries can be mounted in any position. The metal-jacketed ones are especially suitable for automotive use. A bit pricey, but I have been pleased with mine. People use as small a unit as the PC 680MJT in race cars and they work fine.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Mines a Federated 22NF. Fits perfectly, even the plastic cover and band.

John

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

I use a single Optima PC1200MJT mounted on it's side. It fits nicely in the battery box on my '72T. I had alot of cranking to do when I started my engine after the rebuild for the first time. It provided power without missing a beat. It also had no issues with providing cranking power when the temp dipped into the upper 20's.

It's supposed to have excellent long term storage capabilities (per the manufacturer). So, all I did was disconnect the battery for the winter, no trickle charger. I want to add that I do have the advantage of having a heated garage. So I can't say anything about cold storage.

If you go the single battery option, make sure you remove the unused cables. Don't just tape them off. Removing them is easy...and saves lots of weight...free HP !!!!