Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 3.2 into 1969 911S??

1989 3.2 into 1969 911S??

Well since my 911S is already slightly bastardized (real RS flares and rear fiberglass RS rear bumper - not real, pretty gutted interior, etc. - former life as a DE car) I decided to give this a shot. I just acquired a 1989 3.2 motor that had just been pulled from a 1970 911. The motor was previously mated to a 915 transmission. So I am looking for help in figuring out how to do this swap. I am aware that the wiring is pretty much one-ff for 69, so I will need to wire each wire individually.

So here are the quesiton I have right now:

1) Should I stick with the 901 for sake of simplicity?

2) If no to 1, then how much work is involved in adding the 915 (do I need to change the sifter mechanism as well)?

3) Can I use the original S front oil cooler with the 3.2?

4) One person mentioned to me that I need to notch the transmission for one of the computer sensors?

5) Is anyone aware of any online locations or links to companies that may have completed this exact swap?

Thanks.
    Bill

1969 911S - slightly bastardized

By the way, what has Porsche been doing for the last 30 years?

Bill,
    As far as transplanting a 915 into a '69, I've done this, so you can check the archives, PM me or ask here.

Regards,
    Sherwood

I have a 3.2 on 46 Webers with the 915 in my 1970. It was not too hard to pull off. collinsgruppe@bellsouth.net if you have any questions.

JLC

Thanks guys - I may hit you both up for info going forward. The more research I do the more I would like to stay with the 901 transmission if at all possible.

Sherwood - if you could point me to the link describing a 915 install into a 69 I would greatly appreciate it.
    Bill

I couldn't find any links on the Registry forum archives, but here are some from that other one:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=901+to+915

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=901+to+915

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...upgrade+to+915

Also, April, '96 Excellence Mag.

Sherwood

Hi:

If I might add,......

The '69 "S" cars used smaller oil lines (inside the rocker panel) than the later cars and they are really too small for these late-model larger engines with their bigger scavenge pumps.

You can starve the engine of oil at higher RPM.

We always install the oil plumbing from the '74 & later cars to prevent this from happening. Of course, any used parts MUST be thoroughly cleaned and any used coolers or tank should be ultrasonically cleaned.

I do hope this helps,....
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Thanks Steve - can new lines be run to the front cooler or is a new cooler needed as well? I am not too concerned about engine temp as out here on the coast of the San Francisco Peninsula the external oil cooler almost never opened in the past 2 87 Carreras I owned.
    Bill

The coast of the SF Peninsula? We must be neighbors. I'll PM you. I have a similar situation, with a 3.0 with Webers in a '70. There are differences, of course, but it would be worth a look. I have an updated oil cooling system, including a newer oil tank and front oil cooler. The engine is out now, so you can get a good look at things.
    Charlie
    '66 912
    '50 VW Bug
    '89 VW syncro Tristar Doka
    '83 VW Westfalia

I have been interested in this subject also, so if I may check for opinions as well...........

It is my gut feeling that the 901 tranny should be kept as far away from the car as possible and replaced with the (much stronger?) 915 or the later version of the 915 (G50?) when going to the much larger engine.
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!

Quote Originally Posted by zcat3
    Thanks Steve - can new lines be run to the front cooler or is a new cooler needed as well? I am not too concerned about engine temp as out here on the coast of the San Francisco Peninsula the external oil cooler almost never opened in the past 2 87 Carreras I owned.
    Hi Bill:

The stock '69 cooler has smaller inlets so I use a late Carrera cooler or a Fluidyne unit.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com