Thread: 72 and 73 guys help!!!

72 and 73 guys help!!!

72 & 73 guys help
    I just got the engine to start in my project car for the first time.
    Wow it started right up , now I have some questions. I have not driven it yet, just ran it in the drive way.

1. I think I put to much oil because it can out the breather hose.
    (10 quarts)

2.The engine has a high idle about 1500 or so how do I fix it?

3. Because I put to much oil will the oil tank leak up at the top, till the oil level is correct or is this wishfull thinking?

4. The engine is smoking a bit, not much I figure the is normal for a engine that sat for 4 years

The engine is a 2.4 MFI from a 73 , the car is a 72

2004 Ford F150

'72's take approx. 8.5 quarts for an oil change, because the tank is smaller than in other years. Getting the oil level correct may help with your other problems? Hope so...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

You definitely put in too much oil. drain a couple of quarts out. Any engine left that long will smoke on startup, but if it continues maybe there is another problem (hopefully you haven't broken a stuck piston ring).

To get the tickover right you need to check the valve clearances and timing. When you are happy they are correct then make sure every butterfly is closing completely and that the linkages all allow a bit of play and don't open the throttles as you connect them. Is the hand throttle working correctly?

Good luck!
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Another thing to look at as a possible cause to your high idle problem is the stop screw adjustment on the throttle linkage cross bar that contacts the micro switch, or a bent micro switch bracket.

Does the engine smoke on start up only or all the time? Do you think the smoke is from oil bypassing the valve guides/rings or excessive fuel?

If the smoke is fuel related, make sure the small hose (~1" dia.) is connected from the MFI thermostat to the left side engine tin bulkhead fitting and from the bulkhead fitting to the left heat exchanger fitting. This very important little hose supplies hot air to the thermostat to lean the mixture as the engine warms up.

FYI: For more MFI info., see my thread "are there any good MFI people out there?" Lots of good replies to my annoying questions.
    Leaf green 72T, SOLD!
    Gone back to my MoPar roots!