Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Questions about 380mm steering wheels

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag123 View Post
    Did this wheel, as described, come standard on a RS. Noticed the part number is 805.10 and date 8-70. However there are some differences as noted in Andy's post (#10) that seem consistent with it being a RS wheel. Little confused...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OU%3AGB%3A1123
    This is a debatable and loaded question. Some think when RSs were produced old stock 914 wheels may have been pulled from old stock and used on RSs. Also, what is interesting is to see that Andy reports finding the so-called 914-4 wheel with a recessed hub on an RS (could this have been a replacement wheel put on an RS, possible right?) Certainly the recessed hub wheels generally have later, a al RS produduction date codes than most of the flat hub 914 wheels I've seen. My opinion? A date code of 1970 was probably NOT found on an original RS....but it is certainly more than possible Thanks.

Adendum, ALL the recessed hub wheels I've seen needed new holes and countersink for the 911 (RS too) cancel ring. So, RSs with recessed hubs would need these "extra" holes too. If we had an RS owner with an "original" countersunk "RS" wheel, it would be interesting to see the back of it and if it had, too, 914-4 holes for the rear hub that was added?

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 02-28-2011 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    Also, what is interesting is to see that Andy reports finding the so-called 914-4 wheel with a recessed hub on an RS ...

-Allen-
    - I don't remember saying that Allen
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    - I don't remember saying that Allen
    Andy, Good (makes sense based I what I know which is NO recess hubs on wheels originally fitted to 911s). I must have misinterpreted what you wrote. Sorry. What date codes have you seen on RS wheels that you believe are original to the RS? Thanks.

-Allen-

I have a rubber 380mm wheel and would like to have it recovered to RSR grip size in 3 5/8 inch (92mm). Is it possible to build up the 'thick' grip on a rubber wheel or need I find another core with leather?

Any experiences are appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Christian
    RGruppe #649
    Early911S #1788

The Factory actually used a 'hard rubber' 380mm wheel (914.347.803.10) as the basis for their 'thick grip' competition wheels as used on the 2.8 RSR, etc.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105