Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Original orange bar hood crest

Actually I studied my original orange hood badge today and saw more the more I looked. Back in these days things were hand produced, engineering was and castings were not always perfect.
    The hood badge I have has a flaw above the P in orche. How many were made before they saw it who knows? Our cars were manufactured too give the owner/driver the best automotive experience they could afford. Porsche didn't really care to much for hood accessories obviously but it is what makes the difference of Original.

80134D25-4D65-4E62-AB27-935EB2BF95F1_1_201_a.jpg
    Mark

Reu has made new production orange bar badges for some time now. I don’t know why but they are shiny gold instead of dull plating like originals.

Hi Mark,
    What year vehicle is your badge from? I'm on the hunt for an original one to suit my 70 S and am trying to educate myself on what would be period correct.

It came from a group of parts I bought from a friend who passed away. He parted out several SWB 911/912's [when they were cheap] for his soft window Targa project. It had a dried up piece of masking tape marked "68 912" on the backside. I'm not trying to misrepresent but that's all I know.

IMG_6938[1].jpgIMG_6939[1].jpg Here's the original on my '65. notice the gold? plating in the recessed area. Looks like it was that shiney bright gold at one time.

9 e lovig.
    Your 1st post images are of the Hood badge that you are trying to sell.
    Correct ?
    Always remember that all that glitters is not necessary gold
    Mark

Ok, I found my repro badge which led me to believe this was original? Experts welcome to chime in. Then what is this? My friend parted out these cars over 20 years ago and passed 9 years ago.IMG_6946[1].jpgIMG_6940[1].jpg Pins are shorter [btw] & in the right postion

Where did the experts go? Looking for help identifying this hood crest. I'm sure the crests were shiney like gold when new and faded over time to look like the one shown on my '65 911 hood. If it was made later, by the same company for Porsche how do we know?

I think they're both repops ... the smooth back is obvious, the other one less so ... but for all the above reasons ... there are plenty of unoriginal versions out there and some good resources on this site that explain the evolutionary differences between each factory version.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

IMG_5479.jpg

This is a photo I took today of the “gold”
    This was an original badge I had that was remarkable in preservation.
    I did polish out the gold around the horse, it was cloudy. It was slightly worn then. So it is brass around the horse.
    The rest of the gold was in very good condition, and was far more gold than I expected….when I compare it to my other orig badges.
    This badge has repair on three of the orange bars, and I clear coated to preserve the gold.
    They were very gold, not like a mirror, but a definite gold.

The others had lost that luster. This one the plating was near perfect.

I did polish the others at some time, but I was polishing brass.

I have 3 (really 4) originals, if you want to buy one, contact me and I can send you photos.
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-23-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914