I think the notion of 'reproduction' implies that it is a non-factory authorized part. Porsche regularly makes new parts using different manufacturers, materials, designs, and gives them older part numbers. These are not reproductions in my terminology.

Reproduction means an after-market manufacturer which is not authorized by the factory ...

Part of the confusion comes because of the terminology we use.

In the nearly 60 years since my car left the production line, I am sure Porsche has supplied many different 'official' hood badges to the market, each one of them 'genuine Porsche', but which are different from the one that was on my hood when it left Zuffenhausen.

When looking at the badges in Porsche packaging, they are all genuine Porsche, but not period original ... it depends on the date of manufacture.

So, I don't think anyone thought you were being misleading ... it's a question of terminology and interpretation ...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by 9 E Lovin View Post
Guys, I'm glad we are having this discussion, however I wasn't being misleading when I posted the badge for sale. It is NOT a reproduction although it may have been made at a later date. IMO repro's would not have the makers mark. Has anyone bought one recently [maybe from Porsche] that has the makers mark? If so let's see it. When found, this badge had a piece of tape marked "'68 912" on the back. The guy passed away over 10 years ago, and parted out SWB cars over 20 years ago when they were cheap. I really don't need to sell it, or care if it doesn't sell. I'm happy to bring to the light what the differences are. Keep the replies coming, and let's figure it out. Thank you Scott for posting the NOS one I sold you earlier this year. All that shiney gold really shows up!