Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: early 901 /911 fuel door release

early 901 /911 fuel door release

Hi,
    I am making some research on early fuel door release. Before it went on the left of the dashboard (january 1965), two solutions were installed on 901 and early 911.

First was a pull knob on the left side door hinge panel
    Name:  IMG_5756.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  74.8 KB

Second was a more complex system. A hook located under the dashboard was linked via cable through the door to the previous system (see pictures above) that allowed to open the fuel door without having to open the door.
    Name:  IMG_5757.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  92.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_5753.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  62.9 KB

Bret Johnson's book says that the hook system was installed first, then replaced by the knob on the hinge panel, but I have another one (french magazine) saying the opposite stating that 300156 had the knob and 300170 had the complex system.
    Thinking of it second one makes more sense to me since the hook solution looks more like an add-on to the knob on the hinge panel maybe after people complaining about not being able to open the fuel without opening the door (at that time fuel was served in gas stations so you didn't have to leave your car).

So does anyone ave more information about this? Why and when the change occured? Was it first the hook or the knob?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1973 2.4E Targa
    1974 2.7 Carrera US
    Author : https://www.livre911classic.com

please have a look a the prototype pictures of f.i. 13325/13326/13327….etc
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ighlight=13325
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ighlight=13325

br

haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Thanks Haul,
    Ok, so prototypes had the knob. But could it be possible that Porsche added the complex system before production and came back to the knob quickly because it was not working properly.
    To be sure, the best would be to see if one of the first 100 has the hole on the side for the complex system but I didn’t manage to find a good picture showing it to now.

Best,
    1973 2.4E Targa
    1974 2.7 Carrera US

Quote Originally Posted by levrairoms View Post
    Thanks Haul,
    Ok, so prototypes had the knob. But could it be possible that Porsche added the complex system before production and came back to the knob quickly because it was not working properly.
    To be sure, the best would be to see if one of the first 100 has the hole on the side for the complex system but I didn’t manage to find a good picture showing it to now.

Best,
    i`v seen very early cars with that holes in the A-pillar....(#5#13#27#57#61#64#90#96#113..stopped counting at vin 250 the freshly painted silver car) also have it so i was also wondering a bit when ,why and how the monkey motion was introduced...

on #96 the holes clearly where punched with a tool during the sheet metal forming process and not done afterwards by hand
    ...and yes the mechanism bends easy especially since ones intuition says pull it---but it is a push motion.

last 3 fotos are 267 ,292 and 294--- 292 and 294 apear to not have the hole anymore--not sure about 267

Thank you so much Moito, those pictures are great. Thanks to you I now understand how it works, I also though you had to pull on the hook. It's now clear that you have to push it to make the metal part turn.

If possible, could you tell me the Vin of the two first pictures, the yellow one with the knob and the Grey one with the complex system? This would settle my question to know which one was installed first (even if I understand from what you said that the complex system was installed since the beginning, and then was deleted for the knob).
    1973 2.4E Targa
    1974 2.7 Carrera US

VIN 458 198, black pull knob.

Quote Originally Posted by levrairoms View Post
    Thank you so much Moito, those pictures are great. Thanks to you I now understand how it works, I also though you had to pull on the hook. It's now clear that you have to push it to make the metal part turn.

If possible, could you tell me the Vin of the two first pictures, the yellow one with the knob and the Grey one with the complex system? This would settle my question to know which one was installed first (even if I understand from what you said that the complex system was installed since the beginning, and then was deleted for the knob).
    when you download the fotos the indicated file name represents the vin of the vehicle shown.
    the yellow one is this one
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...68#post1158668
    i don`t know if the monkey motion was installed from the beginning--or if some cars where updated later on.
    but the holes of#96 where definitely not hand made.
    there is 2 rubber gromets- one on the outside and one on the inside of the pillar.they are not a simple round standard gromet that you can buy everywhere..it has a oval shape-it apears to me that is was made for this purpose----which would indicate that this was planned as a long term solution--so they invested in a tool to make it.

the nice looking one is a reproduction
    the other one is the one installed on 113

i also noticed that there is at least 2 different versions of the mechanism...don`t exactly remember what the difference was but i have it photographed..need to dig for those fotos

you noticed that the yellow one also has the hole?
    br
    franz

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelplated5s View Post
    VIN 458 198, black pull knob.
    but the one under the dash....not on the a-pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    but the one under the dash....not on the a-pillar.
    As I said. Black pull knob. Rear deck lid is black 'wing handled' in the rear of the door frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelplated5s View Post
    As I said. Black pull knob. Rear deck lid is black 'wing handled' in the rear of the door frame.
    thanks... but your 912 is way to new to be relevant in this topic...