Thread: New engine rebuild oil change

New engine rebuild oil change

Changing oil on my 1971 2.2L. Complete engine rebuild, P/C, all bearings, head rebuilt with new guides valves and seals. Engine has about 400 miles on it. Runs well, still puffs oil on cold start just like before rebuild. Car has now sat for about 3 or 4 months. I drained tank first and got about 1/2L out. Drained engine and got about 8L out. So it appears almost all the oil migrated from tank to engine in about 4 months of non use. Is this normal or did my engine builder miss something.
    Thanks for any help.
    John

Yes, This is normal, and if your starts are after a period of sitting then the puffs are normal as well, due to this oil that has flooded the crankcase and laying all over inside the engine and around the valve guides, its that way by design
    registry #2072

what oil are you using? and around 1000 miles are you going to change the oil again or just leave it until 3000 miles?
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Im running 20-50 Castrol Classic. It is a high zinc formula. I plan to run the oil till about 1000 miles. Change the oil again and do a valve adjustment. This oil is produced in Canada at about $10.00 Canadian a litre.

Probably not necessary, but I would also take a look at the sump screen after 2-3K miles. Particularly, after an engine rebuild.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

I use one of these from Rothsport. My car can sit all winter and no smoke when I start it in Spring.
    It's so dry under the engine there isn't even one drop of oil on the floor in the Spring. I use these 6 and 8 mm washers on every stud that's below the oil level, then an aluminum washer, then a nylock nut. I found before I used these washers oil would run down the threads, and under the Aluminum washers. Especially on the lower valve covers and the bottom nuts on the chain tensioner covers. This is what the engine looks like with 25,000 plus miles on the clock. Currently 28,000.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-07-2024 at 04:57 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Hi Chris

Those washers look pretty cool! Where do you get them?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

these are called usit Ring in germany made by freudenberg
    https://products.fst.com/eu/de/kateg...ubendichtungen

Does anyone know where to buy these in the US, and a part number or numbers.

Thanks David

David:

Those washers with the internal o-rings are readily available on Amazon. Just look for “Bonded Seal Oil Washers”…you can buy an assortment of 150 pieces for $19.

Alan
    N.J.

150Pcs Automotive Self-Centered Bonded Seal Gasket Assortment Kit Bonded Seal Oil Washer Assortment Kit
    Touch the image to zoom in
    150Pcs Automotive Self-Centered Bonded Seal Gasket Assortment Kit Bonded Seal Oil Washer Assortment Kit
    Visit the MUFFINMAN Store
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello