Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 380 mm leather wrapped steering wheel

A google search took me to 914 world where I read the following “The USA Porsche-Audi HO Recall campaign, which was issued after all 914s were made, indicates that it applied to 'approximately 83,000' 914s. On that, I think it’s reasonable to believe that ~83,000 914s made it to the USA, including all 4s and 6s.”

While I don’t know I’ve little reason to doubt that figure as poster seems very knowledgable on the 914 model. P+A is USA (NA?) I suppose ?
    This website gives a breakdown beyond just USA
    http://914evolutech.free.fr/SITE/pag...production.htm

Acknowledgments to the websites and their posters — trust it is ok to reference them here ?

While the Carrera RS Model was never officially sold in USA when new in model year 73 a number of examples have made their way across the pond over the years and perhaps with some lost their original wheel when owners fitters an aftermarket one — however the 83000 for NA or nearly 120000 examples worldwide is a heck of a lot of steering wheels that could be kicking around! Maybe that scale gives pause when the topic of orphan steering wheels of 380mm size? Relatively few would be 806.10 of which the 914/6 may have been the donor.

In 2020 I purchased a genuine 914/6 wheel for $200 from a well known member here — that price plus $85 insured shipping from USA to UK. It is rough compared to my lovely patinated but otherwise perfect original RS wheel; crucially it is stamped 806.10 with the same date and other markings match. Not a real RS wheel as it wasn’t ever on a 73 RS afaik but is a from 914/6 according to the very knowledgable seller. Handy to keep as a spare core that can be recovered if I ever felt the need to safely stow the cars original one due its rare very fragile plastic RS horn push and the lovely original leather with a grain and finish that’s hard for even the best recoverers to reproduce.

Maybe if I recover it then bolt it to the RS even for ten mins I could genuinely say it’s been removed from an real RS and ask nearly 10x

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-08-2023 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1970rsr View Post
    All sounds good. I was relying on many old threads here on Early S. It’s Physically the same as the 73 RS wheel. I have made some
    Edits to wording and price. Enjoy. T

Attachment 604193
    Your heading still says rare 380mm RS wheel which it is not better keep editing.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Are you saying the OEM wrapped the wheels themselves rather than VDM who supplied wheels to the OEMs and their contract manufacturer ?

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Your heading still says rare 380mm RS wheel which it is not better keep editing.
    I updated the title. If it still needs editing, let me know.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    I think the leather is original but was wrapped by Karmann or VW (different type of leather).

I have seen a steering wheel with exactly the same leather as that. Same grain, same black, same stitching, same thumb on the spokes.
    Definitely not oem. I’ve owned at least 80 oem vdm wheels. Leather is always fine grain and stitching is flat to the seam. Doesn’t matter if it’s Porsche or VW. Looks like AGL/Allan Gunn leather, wrapped well but definitely not factory.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

I don’t have pics. Just personal experience. Google might get you some pics. Factory leather is easy to spot.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

How about $650 shipped for this rare steering wheel? Thanks T
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Offers welcome on this cool steering wheel. Thanks
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow