Thread: MFI engine camshaft seal oil leak

MFI engine camshaft seal oil leak

Hello,

I've read it is quite a common oil leak on those engine...

So I order OEM seals :

Name:  IMG_2666.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2667.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  93.8 KB

We change the seal and put it flush.....

Name:  IMG_2673.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  104.1 KB

It was still leaking, we consider bad luck and decide to put another one (I order 2 of those and there was 2 pieces in each plastic bag so I have 4 seals !??).

This time we decide to drive the seal 3 mm past the cam housing.....and it is still leaking

What do you recommend ?
    Add another one on top of the one we put by pushing it ?
    Try to find those brown or orange one ?

Thanks !

I've never used blue ones, there is a difference in seal quality that I've seen in other cases. Yes, try a different brand seal, I think the ones I've used are brown, and the factory tool does drive the seal a couple mm deep.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Check the metal surfaces of the cam and where the seal OD is installed. Longitudinal scratches may let pressurized oil leak through the ID or OD of the seal. Make sure the seal has no cuts or rough areas on both the ID and OD before installing. Also insure the end of the cam and cam housing is smooth and rounded as a burr may cut the seal when it is installed. I use oil as a lubricant before installing. Look carefully at the old seal when you remove it to get clues what happened. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I've never used blue ones, there is a difference in seal quality that I've seen in other cases. Yes, try a different brand seal, I think the ones I've used are brown, and the factory tool does drive the seal a couple mm deep.
    Yes I will try to find those brown one, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1969911T View Post
    Check the metal surfaces of the cam and where the seal OD is installed. Longitudinal scratches may let pressurized oil leak through the ID or OD of the seal. Make sure the seal has no cuts or rough areas on both the ID and OD before installing. Also insure the end of the cam and cam housing is smooth and rounded as a burr may cut the seal when it is installed. I use oil as a lubricant before installing. Look carefully at the old seal when you remove it to get clues what happened. Good Luck!
    We check all metal surfaces and there were OK.
    The old seal was black and was looking good as the 2 OEM blue.

I was wondering if with my camshaft it could be a good idea of putting 2 seals instead of one. My mechanic is against that but I may try to convince him.
    But is it a good idea, I don't know ?

I've ordered 1 viton (brown) seal in 35/47/7 and 1 viton 35/47/4.5 in case I need to use the 2 seals method.

For me 2 seals 35/47/7 don't fit (we found only 13.5 mm depth).

Had the same issue and went with the 2 seal method as I couldn't get only one to seal properly. No leaks anymore
    Instagram: 911_supercarrera

I have dealer records where the 99911306850 was replaced by dealer on my MFI car at 66k miles. Must have been a problem way back too.

What year were they more liable to fail? Mine is 72 all original. No leaks so far. I put a rear main in it when I did a trans rebuild and clutch, etc just because I was there. I never thought about that.

Two seals? Do they both face the same way?
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059