Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB Vent control

SWB Vent control

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this but after living with my 68 for 4 months I still can't make heads or tails of the vent control below the clock. Can somebody fill me in on this.

Thanks
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

I believe it directs the air flow from the windshield/rear window vents (to defog) the windows, or to the ducts below the door edge across the inside lower rockers. At leas tthis is the way it works on my '67...have fun, Charles

The dash vent has nothing to do with the ankle vents- those are controlled by the lever on the gearshift and the plastic sliders that cover them. If you want heat you pull the chrome lever. If you want a blowtorch on your ankle while sitting in a meat locker, you open the plastic sliders. If you want all that hot air diverted to the windshield, you keep the sliders shut.

The dash vent takes fresh air in from the hood vent and diverts it into the defroster vents.
    Control lever moved to the right=
    Fresh air flow shut off
    Control lever moved to the left = fresh air flow open.

That's it. Once you get used to it, it becomes automatic. "Automatic heat!"

Lets review: blowtorch on ankle while sitting in a meat locker = chrome lever + black sliders
    Cold, unfiltered air made dusty and lukewarm and filled with small particles of rust = lever to the left
    Last edited by 304065; 10-11-2011 at 05:58 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

On my 68, the vent control simply opens the vent port found just above the hood (the 3 holes you see when you look at a 911 front on), allowing outside air into the various ductwork. Once that happens, I think it depends on what options you have on your car. On my 68, for example, it can go to the fresh air blower, can go to the foot ducts, and I think can also go to the window ducts. Rotate the handle all the way toward the steering column is open, rotate it toward the passenger closes it. If yours isn't doing anything, it's possible the cable that is routed from the vent control handle to the actual rotating door could be broken/disconnected. I can post photos of what that portion looks like to give you a better idea if you think a fix is needed.

--Von
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    The dash vent has nothing to do with the ankle vents-
    Doh, posted the same time as me...and with a more thorough explanation. Oh the shame. I am interested in the point made above, though. Mine is certainly connected through to the ankle vents by the fresh air blower. Whether I would actually get any fresh air on my ankles is strictly academic at this point since my car is not in a working state. I wonder if this difference is due to the fresh air blower or if it just looks like I could route the air to my ankles, but in reality it doesn't really work.

--Von
    Von Whitley
    Los Alamos, NM
    1968 Polo Red coupe (under reconstruction)
    1968 Metallic Silver SWT (under reconstruction)
    Registry number: 2016

Thanks guys!
    1968 Coupe
    901/10 with 2.2 Ps and Cs
    Webers
    911/01
    7s on all corners
    Now Sold

That vent sucks for meaningful air volume when it's hot. It does let "some" air in, but it all goes up the windshield and out the top back headliner outlet. Mostly for defrosting or a little ventilation.

The vent windows on my '68 are the bomb for hot days. Crank that sucker back 120 degrees and it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritter View Post
    That vent sucks for meaningful air volume when it's hot. It does let "some" air in, but it all goes up the windshield and out the top back headliner outlet. Mostly for defrosting or a little ventilation.

The vent windows on my '68 are the bomb for hot days. Crank that sucker back 120 degrees and it's all good.
    Yep, the vent windows are great. Unless you get stuck in a traffic jam in summer. Been there, done that - and I swear I had more hair on my scalp before!

My mechanic fitted a ventilator into the air intake to get at least some air speed when stationary. Helps, a bit!
    Keep up the speed!

Anatol

'68 911S coupe
    '92 964 RS NGT
    '09 987S Boxster

A couple photos of the parts and pieces from the dash defrost mechanism. Also the fresh air blower does seem to work like Von mentioned. It mounts to a hub in the smugglers box and I think draws air in from the tunnel and pushes it back into the defrost and ankle burner systems. The mesh grate might be to keep rodents out of the blower motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by JT912; 10-13-2011 at 07:43 AM.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

That's cool John. I'd like to find one of those. Looks like it sucks from the tunnel connection on the bottom of the smuggler box and then blows through the "extra" vent on the defroster tube setup (same one that the gas heater hooks to if installed).

The footwell outlets are separate from the dash vents in SWB, so probably no blower air comes out of those, unless the blower is super powerful and blows back down the defrost hose and out the footwell holes.