It is getting cold here in Chicago and with snow forecast I've been trying to get in a last few drives before putting my car into storage. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to start the car in either of my last two attempts (yesterday and today, each of which have had garage temperature of around 45 degrees). Each time the ignition fires up and brings the car to a rough idle. After sputtering for a few seconds, the engine dies. I am able to re-fire the ignition about three times (resulting in the engine starting again and then stalling). Unfortunately, after about the fourth attempt, nothing happens -- the ignition doesn't seem to fire and the engine doesn't turn over (but the light does illuminate on the oil temperature gauge).

Note that my car is a '71T with Zenith carbs. Even in the summer a cold start requires a few cranks. I keep the battery on a tender but I still suspect that my battery may be short of "juice" and that I need a tune up.

I'd appreciate any coaching to get the car started so I can get it into storage before snow comes!

HH